Does destroying a ship's engines have any effect?

Felioats

It doesn't seem to. They still float around on their predetermined paths. I guess they are just the hyperdrive engines. Or are there some instances that they stop?

Or the space combat in this game is garbage and even if you blow their engines they still go on their way. :)

Theres no resistance in space so if you destroy an engine it would only stop the ship from going faster not stop it from moving all together.

yea, you know, that makes a lot more sense than THE ENTIRE SHIP BLOWING UP AFTER DESTROYING IT'S RUNNING ENGINES?

wow, way to be apologetic to this **** garbage mini game

Edited by ThePirateMD

Theres no resistance in space so if you destroy an engine it would only stop the ship from going faster not stop it from moving all together.

^ sounds about right.

I wish the ship blew up though.

Although we can't fall back on real physics too much to explain away things or we would have to explain how we can hear blaster fire and such in space too. And no one wants that.

Edited by Brickabrack

It just seems odd that they would put in targets with no function whatsoever.

Turrets are obvious.

Blowing the shield generators open up the engines to blaster fire.

Blowing the engines...? Some bonus mission objectives, I guess, but that doesn't justify putting them in the game.

Makes sense till the same ship comes in from warp right in front of you, its engines ablaze.

yea theres actually no reason to, say, destroy shield generators first, then allowing you to hit the ship's structure.

because the game is on rails and you cant determine how you want to approacha ship, BW just decided to make the targets little more than bonus objectives.

dont spend too much time thinking about what the space game COULD have been-- you'll just end up angry and making a thread complaining at BW (been there, done that)

Edited by ThePirateMD

yea, you know, that makes a lot more sense than THE ENTIRE SHIP BLOWING UP AFTER DESTROYING IT'S RUNNING ENGINES?

wow, way to be apologetic to this **** garbage mini game

He answered the question as it pertains to physics (be it right or wrong). He never said he liked or disliked the mini-game at all.

Cut down on the coffee.

The extra targets on ships do give bonus experience while levelling, and as you outlevel space combat levels more bonus missions are added if you go back, lastly I love the space combat, it would be cool to have ships explode if you destroy every target, maybe something for the future.

^ sounds about right.

I wish the ship blew up though.

Please make this happen BW. Space is a lot of fun but it would be so much better if the capital ships would explode and go away. It looks like everything is a 3d object in the game so it should be possible to create an explosion that covers the object the remove it from the mission. It's disappointing to destroy every single spot on a ship and not get that big explosion we deserve. It'd also be fun to have different ways to take out ships. If you wanted to destroy all the turrets and the engines that could make it explode, or if you destroyed both shield generators and then the engines maybe that would make it explode?

The fighter tenders in the mine mission, make those blow up, preferably break apart at that mid point you have to hit. Same with the mine layer. That huge capital ship in sarapin/clouds mission, once you take out the bridge maybe have that beast start burning up in the atmosphere?

Something should happen to the space station in that cartel/something mission where you have to attack the space station.

And in the end of that aeten defense mission (bombers attacking station, you're on defense) that last ship you get to fire at that warps out, that should not warp out if you take out the engines. Let us tear that up and have it blow up, would be a satisfying end to that mission.

Destroying all the turrets doesnt do much either, ive destroyed all shield generators, turrets, and engines on a ship and it still flies and shoots at me like I didnt do anything..I guess just extra experience :/

Destroying turrets has a huge impact, but you are right that if all are destroyed it still has one turbolaser that cannot be destroyed, or even seen. The bolt seems to just come out of the ship itself.

If you don't like the space combat mini-game, don't play it. It's completely, 100% optional. Why anyone thought space combat was going to be some huge, free-form thing is beyond me. SWtOR was never about space combat, it's a little something extra they added to the game. I, personally, think it's pretty fun, although there are certainly improvements that could be made.

They're not ever going to devote huge resources into the space combat, as well they shouldn't. It's a gosh darn mini-game. It's not the game.

As to the OP's point... I haven't noticed destroying the engines of a ship having any real impact, no.

Edit: LOL at word filter changing "g0ddamn" to "gosh darn".

Edited by the_banana

Hmm, I haven't seen a single post in this thread saying that if you blow up the engines, the ship gradually falls out of the mission. That's what happens when I blow up their engines when I play anyway.

Cheers.

I don't think the ships do anything different when you blow up their engines. What mission do you think something different happens? If they're falling out of the mission it's just their normal path. (I believe)

Is going back, torpedoing those hard targets dozens of levels later, even worth it though?

Do they actually give experience enough, to compensate for getting nothing for the rest of the mission?

I'm curious about torpedoes as well, what exactly changes when you can use these. (lvl 50) Do all the missions have a hard mode at 50 and you can use the torpedoes to take out the hardened targets like the bridge of the destroyer and the antenna on the space station? Was kind of hoping torps would blow things up....

I wish they'd make these available sooner...

You go for the engines because without power the ship is neutralized as opposed to going for any other part of a ship. You can go after weapons but it can still fly away. You can destroy the bridge but it can still fire back. You can go for communications array but it can still fire back and move.

So you see engines is the single best target if what you are looking to do is pacify which is the usual intent.

What do you think the rebels were targeting when they were hitting the Death Star?