Bioware Ignoring Faction Unbalances?

Rockstar

I posted this in another thread, however it got lost and I really do want to hear people's feedback on this.

I would really like to think that the devs are actually looking into a fix to this imbalance issue, but unfortunately, as far as I know, there has not been any acknowledgement that a problem even exists.

In fact, some of the statements and future plans seem to be in outright denial that there is even an issue. For example here is a quote from Gabe Amatangelo:

"We’re aware that on some servers, either Republic or Empire groups have been capturing the Ilum control points, entering the enemy’s base and ‘camping’ the medcenters"

Republic or Empire. This is a quote taken from the official response regarding the base camping the day of the Illum changes. On my server Empire was camping the base spawn farming kills, and, judging from the forum posts that day, not a single person stated that republic was doing this on their server.

The above quote took 8 hours for them to write up from the moment a forum admin stated that an official response was coming. This means that they chose their wording VERY carefully, and they CHOSE to say Republic was camping bases. That depresses me because I see it as evidence that they are not admitting that there is a problem. Finally, there is the announcement of another faction vs faction warzone. This makes me think they see it and just don't care.

So I would be very grateful is someone could prove me wrong and show me a quote of the devs actually acknowledging that there is a problem, because all I see is that the devs either are blind or they just don't care.

I also would like to throw in my suggestion to fix the problem. Faction to faction switching, but ONLY at 50 and ONLY when you completed your class questlines. I think this would fix a lot of issues with having to deal with story line problems and what not. If there was a final quest that lets you choose a side at the end with a actual reason in the storyline to do so, then that would make more sense, and it wouldn't punish those who want to switch by having to re-roll just because they picked the overpopulated side.

Just my 2 cents.

if people don't pick a faction at the start, and at no point switch, why would they switch when they hit 50?

Better question is, why wouldn't they? There are a few Imps who had already completely re-rolled JUST to be on rep side. So wouldn't the be more beneficial for people who would like to help out and not be punished due to rerolling and seriously starting over with everything else (credits, twinking, ect)?

There might not be a way to "fix" it. Or no way they can agree on to fix it. They don't comment on things that they haven't put in the game or are sure will be put in the game. So no comment tells me they are still trying to figure that out.

Everyone has their own idea on what could be a good solution but whatever they end up doing, I can't see it being an easy fix.

There is also the possibility that this issue will self correct as people change factions for their own reasons down the line.

I'm up for any suggestions and I applaud your thinking. Having said that I have two problems with this:

1. It does nothing for those having issues before 50

2. I honestly believe at this point if it was used for anything by most it would be more people switching to Imperial than the intended reason to have it in the first place.

There are serious quality differences in the Republic and Empire side that are causing at least part if not a large part of the imbalance that are difficult to fix.

Assuming they plan on trying to fix this and not take their usual approach of hoping the players forget the problem or letting time 'magically' fix the issue, it is going to take a long time to address this.

I would not expect results any time soon.

There are also some issues like PVP performance at the lower levels that have been fixed to a large degree, but it will take a long time before the perception most players have changes.

Edited by Bluejayoo

Also FYI there are plenty of Imperials who have stated on these forums that they would switch, but they do not want to reroll and start over.

To further elaborate on that idea, if the switch was made, they I guess it would be a good idea to be the mirror version of the class the person was originally, i.e. Jugg becomes guardian.

I'm up for any suggestions and I applaud your thinking. Having said that I have two problems with this:

2. I honestly believe at this point if it was used for anything by most it would be more people switching to Imperial than the intended reason to have it in the first place.

1. There are already balance problems at 50, and if there is a problem pre-50 those people will soon cap, no?

2. I thought about that as well, and the only suggestion I have would be to allow this only to the underpopulated side.

Can anyone point to an MMO that effectively solved this problem? People are still complaining about this in WoW PVP servers, 7 years later.

The mechanisms implemented to balance servers take away the player's freedom to choose, which invariably results in much squealing and gnashing of the teeth.

1. There are already balance problems at 50, and if there is a problem pre-50 those people will soon cap, no?

2. I thought about that as well, and the only suggestion I have would be to allow this only to the underpopulated side.

1. If they bother to stick around in that faction. I gave up. Just gets ridiculous at higher levels on the server I played on.

2. Good idea. Not sure how it would go over but makes sense to me. If you were to have that in place then it could work. Best solution I have seen anyone suggest to be honest.

People want to be the bad guys. How exactly is bioware supposed to fix that?

I didn't want to play a bad guy, and yet I ended up moving to the Empire side. I find I have to skip a lot of quests.

Most of my guild did not want to play a bad guy, and we started as a Republic guild, but the Republic side has been abandoned for the Empire side.

We are now all playing Light Sided Empire character.

Why?

- Crafting Advantages even for mirror classes

- Better world and level designs

- More Interesting stories

- Better companions

- etc...

I think betrayal quests are lame, that's just me personally.

I have a couple Imps and a couple Pubs rolled out, the games not that complicated that you can't do both. I don't think anything needs to be done to address the 'imbalance' in this game because its a player created issue. The players dictate the population, and right now we're Imp heavy.

Your logic is rather flawed, as my SI is almost completely light-sided.

I rolled a SI because I like the story, I like the powers the SI has at his disposal, and I just think the empire has a much deeper lore overall than the republic.

There might not be a way to "fix" it. Or no way they can agree on to fix it. They don't comment on things that they haven't put in the game or are sure will be put in the game. So no comment tells me they are still trying to figure that out.

Everyone has their own idea on what could be a good solution but whatever they end up doing, I can't see it being an easy fix.

There is also the possibility that this issue will self correct as people change factions for their own reasons down the line.

It's one thing not saying anything at all. It's another thing when all I see from updates/dev comments hinting about the matter is denial or promotion of the issue, faction vs faction warzones and republic actually being able to base camp Illum are the examples I got, but that is 2 examples to many IMO.

Yep this.

Also, how often can one 'switch' sides? One day the Imperials may be outnumbered.

Better question is, why wouldn't they? There are a few Imps who had already completely re-rolled JUST to be on rep side. So wouldn't the be more beneficial for people who would like to help out and not be punished due to rerolling and seriously starting over with everything else (credits, twinking, ect)?

Once again, what is the incentive for someone to switch sides though? Most people who switch sides from the more populated to the less populated side do it because they want more of a challenge, but few people are looking for that experience. So once again, why would someone change sides?

Can anyone point to an MMO that effectively solved this problem? People are still complaining about this in WoW PVP servers, 7 years later.

The mechanisms implemented to balance servers take away the player's freedom to choose, which invariably results in much squealing and gnashing of the teeth.

How is my idea taking away peoples freedom of choice? I would think it would enforce that freedom if someone went into Empire blindly only to find out later down the line of the drastic population differences.

I didn't want to play a bad guy, and yet I ended up moving to the Empire side. I find I have to skip a lot of quests.

Most of my guild did not want to play a bad guy, and we started as a Republic guild, but the Republic side has been abandoned for the Empire side.

We are now all playing Light Sided Empire character.

Why?

- Crafting Advantages even for mirror classes

- Better world and level designs

- More Interesting stories

- Better companions

- etc...

I didn't want to either but I am playing Imp now as well.

I agree, people want to be the bad guys. Even I can admit that I wanted to be Empire, but I got into beta and saw the population issues just from that.

I convinced 30+ people in my guild to go Republic because of it, and I am glad we did honestly.

I would like to believe there are people on the Imp side that are like me, but to far into the faction to even consider re-rolling.

How is my idea taking away peoples freedom of choice? I would think it would enforce that freedom if someone went into Empire blindly only to find out later down the line of the drastic population differences.

You're right, I don't think it's taking away player choice. I don't think players will switch from the overpop faction to the underpop faction, though. Too many players choose their faction to pile on.