This should have been KOTOR3

Amikae

Well, let me say this then. I PREDICT that if Vanilla WoW came out today, it wouldn't stand a chance in hell in the current MMO market.

Comparing WoW success in 2004 vs SWTOR in 2012 is futile.

And see, I feel the MMO market is absolutely dismal at the moment.

Regardless, my only point in posting was to say I found WoW boring, and lacking in its first 8 months. Maybe that was ok you'd argue, since it was better than all others. To me, it still barely kept me there during the first half a year. Vast improvements during the first year kept me playing for 6 more...that, and the lack of alternatives. But I'd say the same of this game. Could improve or change greatly this year. And while you seem to have a bevy of interesting MMO's to play instead of SW:TOR, I see nothing remotely interesting out there.

Coming from two diverse subjective places, we should agree to disagree.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes I am a liar, I have never played an MMO before in my life. I have never played WoW before, you got me.

You obviously know my credit card history, know what games I play every minute of every day.

Just so you know the TRUTH. I have played WoW. I have about 7 characters there, but only 2 80-85 characters (I never went back to my level 80 once I had a different character as my main).

I only did dungeons a few times across those 7 characters. In this game, I am doing heroics far more.

In WoW I did a lot more heroics, here I did one and got bored pretty quickly. What I am doing now is every new instance once on normal mode and continue class story when they add more.

Mostly agree with the OP.

SWTOR was released in a state that isn't really acceptable in today's MMO market. Everyone is used to various luxuries from other MMO's that have had longer to become polished. There are too many bugs, bad itemization and the end content is too easy for any serious raiders, meaning they have nothing to do other than PVP (which itself suffers massively from poor faction balance and other issues).

Swtor may get there, but the question is.. should it have been released before it was at that level? Has it damaged itself by doing so? I don't know.. I hope not.

I will stick with swtor for now, but if it hasn't improved much by the time GW2/D3 or whatever console game I want to play, i'll be jumping ship ;/ At least for a few months

The game wasn't refined for end game play. That is the unfortunate thing and is really where they seemed to drop the ball.

I'm having a blast, but I didn't start on release like a lot of people,and as a result, I am not level 50, so I'm going purely off peoples opinions expressed on this forum.

I think the main focus was questing, this is evident in not only the style of operation/flashpoints, but also in the way that they released the combat system, in that overall it seemed very clunky(Despite the overall design being great). This sort of lead to the PvP clearly not being highly competitive, and i gather it also had a rather large influence on the PvE side of things.

I'm so glad they made SWTOR instead of KotOR 3, and I find this game infinitely superior to the original RPGs. I can play whatever class I want, not be forced to play a jedi. There are far more planets, locations and missions. Content will continue to be added instead of playing a set story and then it's over. SWTOR feels like a true roleplaying game to me (ie, my character that I created having limitless adventures) rather than participating in somebody else's interactive movie. For my tastes SWTOR wins by a landslide. Edited by Jmannseelo

The game wasn't refined for end game play. That is the unfortunate thing and is really where they seemed to drop the ball.

I'll agree with that. It's my biggest critcism of the game, really. But I have no doubt it that will be addressed, as expansions is a particular strength of the MMO genre.

Edited by Jmannseelo

It *is* KOTOR3.

/thread

Just because the developers said this is basically kotor 3 does not make it true. You cannot get lost in the story of a mmo the way you do in an offline rpg. If they would of went the offline route it could of been like mass effect except in the star wars universe. With that said I am still enjoying the old republic, but it is definitely not kotor 3.

Just because the developers said this is basically kotor 3 does not make it true. You cannot get lost in the story of a mmo the way you do in an offline rpg.

Maybe you can't, but I certainly have. The Bounty Hunter storyline might actually be one of my favorite Star Wars tales in any medium.