When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

Im going to keep posting in this thread until someone starts listening, probably won't happen (im not deluded enough to think anyone at Bioware would pay any attention to me as an individual) but it'll give me something to do while sat waiting for the lesser spotted WZ pop :)

Last night at 6pm GMT the population on rep side in the fleet was 6....thats it....6.

At 8pm it was 12.

No reps in Ilum (ever), 30 minute waits for WZ pops and always grouped with the same 4/5 players and outnumbered.

An all time low last night was 3 v 8 in Huttball (thats three players...just three). Not seen that before.

My guild have all quit until server transfers become available and if it's not soon we will probably not return as there are so many great games coming out this year i fail to see the point of paying a subscription to play one where you have the choice of sit in our ghost-town of a server, reroll or leave.

Shame really, i love TOR but i just can't face rerolling (again, we rerolled once already to avoid the queues at launch) and redoing all the same missions again.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night at 6pm GMT the population on rep side in the fleet was 6....thats it....6.

At 8pm it was 12.

No reps in Ilum (ever), 30 minute waits for WZ pops and always grouped with the same 4/5 players and outnumbered..

What imaginary server is this?

I play on Dark sion, and mind trick both get in to the HEAVY category every now and then, questing on planets stills feels dead, 3 different guilds I was in on dark sion have died or are slowly dieing. Bottom line is people are leaving at a alarming rate, the server cap is WAY TO LOW, this is supposed to be a mmo, yet feels like a SP game most of the time, I dont think mergers will even help this game, at this point I feel like it is a heavy rock sinking to the bottom of the ocean

I play on Mind Trick as well, and I'm going to call you out right here and now as being a liar. I have 5 alts plus my main on Mind Trick I NEVER have any problem at just about anytime to find groups for anything. I know for a FACT that half the people whining about needing mergers are just jumping on a bandwagon, why I dont know but some of the servers people have listed as dead I have jumped on and found to be very much alive.

The reality is so many servers are running less than 300 players per faction and less than 20 lvl 50s at any given time that people are going to quit (including myself) before they take any action and this game will go free and die.

I've never seen more than 10 players on a planet and never more than 20 people on the fleet.

Senator Contisplex.

Imperial fleet's population, again, 5 people.

Enough is enough.

I cancel my subscription.

BW, just learn sth from Blizzard.

Either merge servers or activate character transfers.

Bye bye.

Read several pages couldn't find an answer and couldn't bring myself to read 89 pages so...

If we are force merged who retains their characters name?

If its the same servers being merged onto, the person who is on the target server. If their new servers, which is doubtful, no idea

Hopefully there will never be a server merge. Cross server LFG and PvP instance removes the need for server merges. See Rift for how to implement those items beautifully.

Merges might not be the solution. But Cross server LFG and PvP isn't the answer.

Rift did it well, but they also had free server transfers for guilds to other servers and it ended up leaving dead ones behind.

Cross server will just be putting a band aid on and hoping people will think the problem is fixed. Cross-server would cover Warzones and Flashpoints.

This still leaves the problem of a Dead economy (Are we going to cross-server the GTN to fix that problem?) and lack of people for Operations (Cross-server operation search prehaps?) along with dailies, world-wide content ect ect. The list can go on as to what the cross-server will NOT fix.

Free transfers are the answer for dying communities and servers, not cross-server.

As for the legacy / name issue - many other companies have done merges in the past (Planetside for an example) - Those that login first claim the name ect ect. Might not be fair but its a start, and when is life ever fair?

Legacy names - I for one hate mine, chose it for a joke thinking I would be able to change it, now I don't even use it - the same with quite a fair few people Im sure - You see ones such as "Mymatedave" - Again its pot luck but if your going to be Transferring to another server, and you've gone for a popular name - chances are it will be taken and you will have to change it. It comes with the territory.

One solution could be open up a brand new server for migrations / merges that way everyone has a fair and equal chance of retaining their legacy name and character name.

Edited by Mysquine

Kinrath Spider is one of the lowest population PvP servers. Dulfy's numbers just came out. I realize more data would be needed for true accuracy. Still, you can make some fairly safe generalizations from them:

http://dulfy.net/2012/03/01/numerical-swtor-population-data-for-pvprp-pvp-servers/

Question. How does that account for people grouped up and in instances (FPs and Heroics), which is where I would think large numbers of the population are. I mean, as servers mature, less and less people are going to be in the public areas. Pugs drop significantly after the first few months because people are making friends, joining guilds, and going straight to group content (instances) upon logging in.

Is there a way that this accounts for those people? Because if it doesn't, I would say it's numbers aren't just a little bit off... I'd say it's grossly inaccurate by not accounting for the entire part of the grouping community that is actually playing the game.

Question. How does that account for people grouped up and in instances (FPs and Heroics), which is where I would think large numbers of the population are. I mean, as servers mature, less and less people are going to be in the public areas. Pugs drop significantly after the first few months because people are making friends, joining guilds, and going straight to group content (instances) upon logging in.

Is there a way that this accounts for those people? Because if it doesn't, I would say it's numbers aren't just a little bit off... I'd say it's grossly inaccurate by not accounting for the entire part of the grouping community that is actually playing the game.

You seriously over-estimate the amount of flashpoints being run, I think. There's never more then 20-30 people in black talon when I run it, and that's hands down the most run flashpoint after 50.

Still, I should ask her if she took several snapshots of the planets over the course of the night, or if this was strictly a one time check.

If it's the latter, then as I mentioned certainly there's a variance. Trust me though, there's seldom more then 60-70 imperials in the fleet most nights, and I feel like i actually know/recognize half the population by now.

I'll be transferring off as soon as it's possible and joining a server with a real population.

Edited by islander

You seriously over-estimate the amount of flashpoints being run, I think. There's never more then 20-30 people in black talon when I run it, and that's hands down the most run flashpoint after 50.

Still, I should ask her if she took several snapshots of the planets over the course of the night, or if this was strictly a one time check.

If it's the latter, then as I mentioned certainly there's a variance. Trust me though, there's seldom more then 60-70 imperials in the fleet most nights, and I feel like i actually know/recognize half the population by now.

I'll be transferring off as soon as it's possible and joining a server with a real population.

I'm not arguing overall server populations exactly and if it feels dead, you certainly should move on, just because it'd increase your enjoyment.

But if someone is in an instance on a planet, do they show up on a /who check? I've never tested this. If not, then the count on that link would actually be leaving out every player in a heroic, every player in a class instance, and every player doing flashpoints.

Honestly, if that's the case, you're basically excluding every single group that's actually playing the game. That would be a serious challenge to the accuracy of that report. It's essentially excluding the entire grouping community.

I'm not arguing overall server populations exactly and if it feels dead, you certainly should move on, just because it'd increase your enjoyment.

But if someone is in an instance on a planet, do they show up on a /who check? I've never tested this. If not, then the count on that link would actually be leaving out every player in a heroic, every player in a class instance, and every player doing flashpoints.

Honestly, if that's the case, you're basically excluding every single group that's actually playing the game. That would be a serious challenge to the accuracy of that report. It's essentially excluding the entire grouping community.

I'm not suggesting you don't have a valid point. Although you wouldn't be excluding the grouping community. Just the ones who were in a FP (or Raid post 50) at a given time.

You bring up good points though.

However, it's not going to be enough of a variance to make the difference between a low end server and a middle to upper one. You're not going to have a situation where 20% of the population of a server is unviewable in /who and another server 2%.

My intention with the link was to show some generalizations in population. Anyone on a given server could tell you this stuff themselves, but it takes someone really (committed?) to actually check into all of them in the same night.

Edited by islander

When you /who a planet or a zone, it includes EVERYONE. Unless they are on a class specific area - for example a space station for a class quest. If they are in a Flashpoint such as Black Talon then they will be in Black Talon and not on imperial fleet (as an example)

However I've been doing the same with /who 1-10 11-20 21-30 ect, and its turning out small numbers on our server. Constantly Light now with under 430 people at peak times on both sides.

But hey, they're working on transfers so - got to hope they'll give us a freebie or it'll be free for the first few weeks.

Edited by Mysquine

When you /who a planet or a zone, it includes EVERYONE. Unless they are on a class specific area - for example a space station for a class quest. If they are in a Flashpoint such as Black Talon then they will be in Black Talon and not on imperial fleet (as an example)

However I've been doing the same with /who 1-10 11-20 21-30 ect, and its turning out small numbers on our server. Constantly Light now with under 430 people at peak times on both sides.

But hey, they're working on transfers so - got to hope they'll give us a freebie or it'll be free for the first few weeks.

wow, you guys have 430? Crevasse City has sub 200 during prime time.

So if someone is in an instance (having passed through a green wall), they definitely show up on a /who if you're not in that instance? You've confirmed that?

I'm not arguing it, I just don't know. In most games, /who only shows people in the same instance. This game hides that these areas are instances, so I'm just not sure.

I found an old post of mine

Crevasse City , 5:30 PM EST. Empire

/who 1-30 yields 92

/who 31-50 yields 38

Total level 50s : 9

Fleet: 9

Total population of server at this given moment: 130.

9:40 EST Crevasse City

10 people in the fleet

Census:

96 people levels 1-20

51 people levels 21-30

45 people levels 31-49

10 lvl 50s

TOTAL 202 players

Hopefully there will never be a server merge. Cross server LFG and PvP instance removes the need for server merges. See Rift for how to implement those items beautifully.

Maybe this would help, but even Rift merged servers much to the boon of many players. They have only a handful now, but they are all bustling with life. If you need to merge servers then do it, there isn't anything inherently bad about such an action as long as you implement it well and efficiently. Ignoring your playerbase that is obviously crying out to you that there is a problem is inherently bad.

wow, you guys have 430? Crevasse City has sub 200 during prime time.

From looking at your numbers thats only one side right?

Those numbers that I've taken are both Imperial and Republic.

Usually Imperial are around 200, republics are around 140-160

So if someone is in an instance (having passed through a green wall), they definitely show up on a /who if you're not in that instance? You've confirmed that?

I'm not arguing it, I just don't know. In most games, /who only shows people in the same instance. This game hides that these areas are instances, so I'm just not sure.

From all the tests I've done Im 99% sure of it because you are still on that planet. Walk into a green area do a check on your planet. For me everyone's still showing up there

Pls Bioware there are very Empty Servers "Uthar Wynn" pls lets talk about Merges

Go go Uthar Wynn! :( Don't want to see it fail.

Edited by Mysquine