When will there be a "SERVER MERGE?"

gizbug

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the choice between heavily overpopulated, queued servers and too many medium pop servers, i'll take too many servers anyday. Getting online and actually getting anything done without people constantly kill stealing in desperation the first week was dreadful.

So BW get slated for having a low pop cap - they increase it and ppl slate them as their pop on the server is no longer ranked as high?

And now wanting to merge servers?

BW, imo and history of being involved with several mmos of the last 10 years, will not even consider a server merge so early after rel.

Also, to complain about them wanting to fix bugs etc instead of merging a server?

Edited by Qishari
rude comments

every server on EU is atleast standard on prime time.. and alot of servers are heavy/full so you must be US?

Standard means nothing, my server is standard and its still a hard task to get groups together due to lack of players.

And with faction imbalance meaning most servers are 2:1 Imp:Rep the situation is magnified for Republic players even on servers with supposedly good populations.

Bioware created too many servers, far too fast and diluted the population signifcantly and needlessly to keep early access queues down, and its come back to bite us all on the ***.

So BW get slated for having a low pop cap - they increase it and ppl slate them as their pop on the server is no longer ranked as high?

BW, imo and history of being involved with several mmos of the last 10 years, will not even consider a server merge so early after rel.

Also, to complain about them wanting to fix bugs etc instead of merging a server?

Time for a reality check, chief. During prime time, over an hour for PVP to pop, going on planets and seeing 4, maybe 10 people on that planet? You don't think this is an issue? I'm paying for a MMO, where is the Mass Multiplayer? Move along, nothing for you to see in this topic obviously....

Edited by Qishari
quoted rude comments

Standard means nothing, my server is standard and its still a hard task to get groups together due to lack of players.

And with faction imbalance meaning most servers are 2:1 Imp:Rep the situation is magnified for Republic players even on servers with supposedly good populations.

Bioware created too many servers, far too fast and diluted the population signifcantly and needlessly to keep early access queues down, and its come back to bite us all on the ***.

Couldn't agree more.

This

Spot on Wyer

Edited by Qishari
quoted rude comments

i've been posting about server pop issue for a while now

to be honest, i don't even care anymore. i think i'll just switch to a new game when they come out

i really liked this game but the dead server killed it for me

i wish i hadn't listened to the "don't make a char on high pop server" announcement but i guess that's my fault

i suggest you to just do the same and find a new game

Time for a reality check, chief. During prime time, over an hour for PVP to pop, going on planets and seeing 4, maybe 10 people on that planet? You don't think this is an issue? I'm paying for a MMO, where is the Mass Multiplayer? Move along, nothing for you to see in this topic obviously....

Huh? I've never had a 1 hour wait time in my whole time playing SWTOR. Maybe it's because I didn't rush to 50. I have to wait 10 minutes absolute maximum. I play on Firaxan Shark, it's a low population server.

Seems like almost every server is low population. At Peak hours, there are not many people on any one server. Rift had this issue, and in the beginning, they shut down servers, and allowed people to merge to other servers. It's odd that it takes hours at lvl 50 for a PVP game to pop, as there is hardly anyone on the servers. They also need to implement CROSS REALM Ques. WOW did this, and was a huge success. For any new MMO not to include this off the bat, is beyond bizarre to me. I think Bioware is too focused on fixing bugs than getting these servers in line. Wish I never leveled on what is now a "Low POP" server, as most of the time I feel like this is a single player game.

Bioware, what say you?

Just wondering if you were one of those that at the start were qq about more servers due to queues, cos i see this in ever other mmo i been on, ppl qq cos they are in a queue for 30mins ( 1st 2 weeks of a new MMO) and demand more servers and then 1month later they qq that the servers are empty and they wanna merge cos the servers are empty ( not saying this is you, just saying its all very common ).

Dont forget servers merge are a nightmare , we may not think its all very easy but theres are character names, guild etc... dont think you will see server merge for at least 3months+

this is how it went-

brand new game!

servers jammed with activity!

during pre-launch bioware adds several servers.

game release! servers jammed!

the people went, "wah! queues!! give us more servers!"

bioware said, "gee, we really don't want to do that, cause you know, people will stop playing and the servers will even out"

people said, "we don't care! we'll unsub! you're horrible! more servers now!!!1!"

so bioware raises some population caps and adds new servers, and guess what?

[quote=Wyer;2143792So BW get slated for having a low pop cap - they increase it and ppl slate them as their pop on the server is no longer ranked as high?

way to insult people without knowing what the hell you're talking about. Biowares "increased caps" caps a server at about 1.5k people. both sides COMBINED. Go through the zones and check how many people are one of those heavy servers. 300ish imperial fleet / 180ish republic fleet on mine at prime time. other zones 120ish for lvl 10-16 planet, 50-60 people per planet up till belsavis, then it drops to 25ish for pubs and 40ish for imps. Corellia 25ish both sides at most time.

eidt* oh lets not forget quesh, 9 people republic side, 15ish imperial.

The population cap is CRAP. its half what a normal MMO server population is.

Edited by Zoggel
Rude Replies

my standard server has at least 1,000 people playing constantly.

The world is huge so they are spread out. I see no reason for a merge yet.

I don't think 1000 people is a lot. I easily remember registering 2-4k people for wow census app I ran, online at a time and that was one standard/low pop server.

I've now skipped all flashpoints from 1-30 twice because I couldn't find more then 1 person after waiting up to an hour on the fleet. I have no doubt some players will leave due to the lack of a community. The whole reason we were told we couldn't have cross-realm LFG or cross realm PVP was cause of the community. When there is so few people that it takes 45 mins to do esseles, I gotta ask, what community? I couldn't find one.

This is not a Gamewide issue, more like a selected few Servers which really can't be fixed, every MMO (yes even that other one) has Servers where there aren't a lot of people or even, barely any people.

This isn't BioWares fault it's the fault of us, the people, the community, since nobody wants to play on a Server without people, they either transfer to a higher pop Server or reroll on one of the better Servers thus making the problem much much worse.

For the record my server is considered to be on the lower stick of population and WZs pop within 2-3mins for 50s and 5mins for lowbies, with Planets having double digit play counts even at 3-4am in the night on workdays.

This game is dying check this out http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats

That website isn't very accurate. It is just using the server status list on this site and updating it's database every few minutes. It's using the "light", "standard", "heavy" descriptions and making a bunch of assumptions based on that.

The problem is if BW increased the population caps it would skew the data making it look like there was a decrease in players; when in fact, all that happened is the population cap was just increased but, the overall population of players stayed the same.

I dunno but they need to do them, otherwise this game will go the way of Rift.

A thinly spread player population isn't a good thing I don't care how well the servers run and how reduced lag is.

Edited by HavenAE