Sorc Build @ HM and Ops Level

Jinjernuts

OK, so currently im running in a Madness/Lightning hybrid spec having spent a little time doing some PVP just before and at 50.

While we know the hybrid spec is very effective (for the moment) in a PVP environment, how does it compare for endgame Raiding.

I've only really done BT HM from the list of flashpoints, but have also done EV8 Normal (Faceroll), EV16 Normal 4/5 (inc 1% SOA wipe), and completed Karaggas8 Normal last night.

Is there a huge difference between the cookie cutter hybrid build and a pure Lightning build for PVE content.? 1-2% dps difference I can live with, but if its seriously gimping my overall boss damage, i'll want to respec.

Kind Regards and thanks in advance.

ive raided with both lightning and the 13/28 build lightning/madness hybrid.

I havent noticed much of a difference honestly. all depends on the fight. soa the lightning build in phase 3 is a bit better because of the bigger crits when he is vulnerable.

the madness build is better for heavy moving fights like bonethrasher because you can throw your dots and death field while moving. but i did it with lightning last night and was able to put out some nice dps.

pure patchwerk type fight where you just sit still and crank out as much dps as you want as long as your tank can hold aggro i still think they are real close to even.

at least at my current level of gear which is 3/5 columi and everything else tionese quality to columi quality items. lightning benefits much more from alacrity than force lightning does. 1.1 second lightning strike casts are pretty awesome.

Yeah I can imagine fast lightning strikes like that would be nice. especially with the force regen in the lightning tree.

If theres not much of a difference, I might just stay the same. Saves me a few creds each time I want to go do some pvp.

thanks for the reply.

surge is very good, makes allyour crits higher and the lightning build will crit alot. however alacrity is also needed imo. you have to get those cast times down as low as possible. lightning strike for me is on a 1.3 to 1.4 second cast, when i blow my alacrity cooldown its like 1 second, and tb is lower than 1.5 with that cooldown. optimally i want to get both of those spells under the 1.5 second gcd but i dont know how much alacrity that is realistically gonna take.

current stats for me with that build is 28 percent crit, 80 percent crit mulitplier and 8.5 percent alacrity. I havent really modded in any specific way i just took whatever was on the gear. once i get all my columi gear then ill look at remodding the way i want.

razcul which build are you talking about exactly lightning or lightning/madness hybrid.

surge is way more important for the hybrid than alacrity but alacrity is pretty important for the pure lightning build but i still wouldnt rate it over surge.

Edited by hardicon

I did HM EV on tuesday with the 0/13/28 hybrid spec. It worked out well. Was able to kill my guy in the fight before SOA pretty quickly. The only issue I encountered was running out of force on long fights. Sorry I dont remember names, but the first boss I had to consumption a few times, but nothing terrible. On garqj (sp?) I got close, but with all the movement, I had plenty of regen time. Not spamming chain lightning and spamming lightning strike on wrath procs also has saved me lots of force.

Surge > alacrity for sure. I am running 4/5 columi/rakata gear and I have been switching my enhancements for the ADEPT 22 enhancement which is power/surge. It has been a large dps increase.

I did HM EV on tuesday with the 0/13/28 hybrid spec. It worked out well. Was able to kill my guy in the fight before SOA pretty quickly. The only issue I encountered was running out of force on long fights. Sorry I dont remember names, but the first boss I had to consumption a few times, but nothing terrible. On garqj (sp?) I got close, but with all the movement, I had plenty of regen time. Not spamming chain lightning and spamming lightning strike on wrath procs also has saved me lots of force.

Surge > alacrity for sure. I am running 4/5 columi/rakata gear and I have been switching my enhancements for the ADEPT 22 enhancement which is power/surge. It has been a large dps increase.

That's the problem you shouldn't have to consumption to keep up your force, if you happened to get spiked at the same time you consumption you are putting a lot of strain on healers to keep DPS healed up. A healer should have to worry about a DPS damaging his self to keep his force up

The 25/16 offers similar damage, imo more vs single raid targets, while at the same time making it almost impossible to run out of force. You can bubble other players, off heal if needed (if a healer is stunned), it allows a lot more options to use your force on. You will also have full force If you need to burn an enraged low health boss (some enrage automatically at times)

If you burn the alacrity CD and have decent gear it will move you lightning strike to a 1 sec cast that hits for up to around 2k a sec with crits. If you pop a relic, surge from biochem, alacrity CD, and recklessness you can do an insane amount of damage over the next 5-10 seconds.

Edited by cupofwater

While on the subject of the 13/28 spec. Can someone tell me why everyone includes Corrupted Flesh in their builds? I haven't encountered any fights where the DOTs are a big deal. I tend to prefer Haunted Dreams for clutch CC when needed.

I'm a support at heart, but we currently have a dedicated healer so I usually run this build for both PvP and Hardmode flashpoints (I'll have to change it for Ops). But for now I find that it offers me a ton of utility (Blind on shield, root, and insta whirlwind/stun), while having decent burst. What's more is that even hitting Chain Lightning at every opportunity I never get low on Force, not even remotely low even. It's so efficient that I'm able to easily backup heal in pve and pvp for tight situations and rarely run low. I could do a higher dps but less sustainable build, but for now I feel pretty unstoppable with this build.

Granted, that utility shouldn't be needed for Ops since everyone has their dedicated roles, but I really suggest it for those of you still doing 4 man hard modes and daily pvp for your champ gear.

Edited by Dastion

I just got my sorcerer to 50 and I havent done any hard or nightmare mode stuff, but I would imagine the 0/13/28 build wouldn't be as effective on the long boss fights and nightmare as the build I am thinking of. The fights just last way too long to not take lightning effusion imho. That being said, its really hard to give up that extra 30% crit damage to the 3 madness skills lol.

But, (for raids atleast, sustained dps outweighs rotational dps.)

The build I am thinking of would be http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201ZfcMMd0MZcrcRsMkd.1

The only difference I think I would make to that build for pvp(assuming i can live with losing my crit damage) would be to drop the affliction duration for electric bindings.

chain lightning is a very minimal dps boost over force lightning. force lightning gives you more force than it costs to cast. therefore you cast chain lightning in your rotation until you're low on force and then you stop using it once you get low on force.

by doing this you'll essentially never run out of force in your rotation (assuming you aren't shielding/off-healing of course)