Beginners Guide to Juggernaut Tanking by Phottek

Phottek

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 question tho: what is the base HP a jugg tank should be having ideally before adding more avoidance and such ?

In TOR the choice isnt between HP and avoidance, most same level armoring, mods and enchants have exactly the same amount of endurance. The choice you have to make is made between accuracy, defense rating, shield chance and shield absorption.

In early gearing i would stack defence, but when you get more gear i change mods/enchants to boost shield chance and shield absorption as defense gets hit hard by diminishing rating to % conversion and you get better value from shield stats.

Accuracy is bit tricky, i tend to keep it at ~100% with talents as threat generation is the only problem in game i have now. At ~full rakata gear im easy to heal in the current nightmare content, but i could use little additional single threat and quite a bit of aoe threat so trash wouldnt be such a pain in the ***. And hopefully on atleast future bosses i could focus more on the encounter and timing defensive cd's minimizing incoming damage, not just doing perfect DPS rotation and using taunts on every cd to keep up on threat.

This guide has been transferred to JK venacular with my consent and posted to their boards. One well informed reader has made a few observations about the contents and I will be changing some things here shortly.

The guide was originally written during the beta phase and some of the stuff in here was from datamining at the time. Changes will appear in the positioning, taunting, buffs, stats, crafting. All the changes are relatively small and shouldnt change the overall look of the guide, only adding a little more clarity to some sections.

I asked this in Gankstah's post on tanking and I'll echo it here as well, since I see the same need to provide simplified data that the community is aching for.

This is all great information, but after reading it I still felt like it was too broad. Is there any way to further simplifing this for the non mathmaticians? I've seen this type of guides before include a summary of the recommended stats and their yield for each stage of the PvE game. For example (these are %'s as they appear in the paper doll, not some hidden derivative):

Recommended Juggernaut tanking stats for running normal FP's:

Armor Damage Reduction = x = y damage reduction

Deflection/Parry = x = y Deflection/Parry

Shield Absorb = x = y Damage Absorbed

Shield Chance = x = y Shield proc

Accuracy = x = y hit chance

Recommended Juggernaut tanking stats for running Hard Mode FP's:

Recommended Juggernaut tanking stats for running OPS:

In my opinion this type of information would be much more useful to the community.

Thanks.

Still waiting on some guideance here. If all you can do is put out a bunch of formulas without simplification then the material seems to start loosing value.

I skimmed through the guide (and by skim I mean didn't read much at all except rotation and the builds, didn't look at the build links either)

Was wondering what you thought of this build

35/4/2. In the Defense tree you don't get the Freezing Scream and Backhand focus reduction (familiar with Jedi Knights, not Warriors because I just switched). And 2 points in the talent that increases Sweeping Slashes damage.

In the Vengeance tree I think it's called, 3 points in increased Smash damage, 1 point in the extra sunder chance

Last tree, reduced Choke and Ravage cool down. Choke is good threat generator in my experience

Also wondering what you think of my "typical" rotation. Saber Throw secondary target>Leap main target>Back Hand main target or Choke secondary target>Choke secondary target or Backhand main target>Smash>Guardian Slash>Force Scream>go from there. Enrage is mixed in there somewhere when you need focus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that 1.2 has gone live I will be updating the main post to reflect the changes to the SW soon.

I am most interested in input on preferred talent builds for levelling, HM's, and OPs.. so if you would like to post your picks here i'll be sure to check them out and possibly add them to the guide :) ty.

On a personal note, as an Aussie I will soon be taking advantage of the free transfers to get my main over to the Oceanic PVP server and am looking for a guild to call home. Send me a PM here on the forums if you would like to chat more.

Update for 1.2 is now live.

• Changes to Talents
  • Changes to builds
  • Flashpoint guides added
  • FAQ changes
  • Crafting edits
  • Lots of minor fixes

Still more to come but it is now ready for use. If you have a build you would like to add, have any other suggestions , or see where changes are needed please PM me.

Phoie

• 3 weeks later...
[aname=4][/aname]

Special Hint: Both Cantina buffs can be stacked with adrenals allowing all 3 types of long duration buff to run concurrently. Cantina buffs are cheap and very useful whilst leveling or grinding.[/Quote]

These can only be used once you have reached level 40. Prior to lvl 40 they are useless.

My new jugg was one of two tanks in KP last night. I had a hell of a time with the adds on the foreman since I lose their attention so quickly. Thanks to the guide, I am seriously considering dropping 2 points from either accuracy or dreadnought and putting them in decimate to build more aoe threat. Our tank for the boss is/was our assassin tank since she has a speed boost. We didn't quite kill him last night after a few attempts, but if I can get the adds to stay with me on the boss, we can nuke them down with aoe and hit the boss with them too. I spent too much time hunting down individual escapees and we lost valuble dps time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have a question about your threat section...see the below quote:

1. Spot other party members frame go red as they attract threat from one of the NPC’s in the pull

I, nor any of my guildmates have ever seen this happen. Can you explain *** you're referring to?

I have a question about your threat section...see the below quote:

I, nor any of my guildmates have ever seen this happen. Can you explain *** you're referring to?

Fixed.. that error has been there since beta.. I'm surprised no one ever picked it up.

There will be no more changes/expansions/updates prior to 1.3. I would suggest that anyone who uses this resource regularly does a copy/paste prior to release. At the moment with the changes slated for our class, it looks as though I will not be renewing and therefore be unable to update the guide (nor want to).

Thanks to all those who have provided feedback and support for my efforts to this point. It is much appreciated. I hope that those of you who are left after patch enjoy the game, and may the force be with you.

Fixed.. that error has been there since beta.. I'm surprised no one ever picked it up.

There will be no more changes/expansions/updates prior to 1.3. I would suggest that anyone who uses this resource regularly does a copy/paste prior to release. At the moment with the changes slated for our class, it looks as though I will not be renewing and therefore be unable to update the guide (nor want to).

Thanks to all those who have provided feedback and support for my efforts to this point. It is much appreciated. I hope that those of you who are left after patch enjoy the game, and may the force be with you.

Sad to here that Phottek; your guide was a very useful resource for me. I hope that you reconsider your decision as I don't believe the changes to Juggernaut tanking will be as disastrous as you fear they will be, at least from a PvE standpoint.

At any rate thanks for the time spent on the guide and I hope a successor takes up the baton if you do leave. Take it easy mate.

Edited by JamieM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...