Beginners Guide to Juggernaut Tanking by Phottek

Phottek

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great guide: the description of abilities and talents is the most helpful I have read.

I have a comment about a levelling build. There's a case for getting as fast down the defence tree as you can (to unlock the new abilities and other more powerful talents) which is a problem as all three tier 1 talents are rather nice. You rate Battle Cry as the least of the three and so I have not taken it yet. But having used it on the stress test beta, I am finding it hard to live without. With it, you can leap, then force scream and smash. Without it, early on, you can only do one and must build up more rage before doing the other. If I want 3/3 Battle Cry (and the other tier 1 talents) and want to get to Crushing Blow as fast as I can, I will have to defer 2 other points from the immortal tree for later. I suspect they should come from heavy handed.

Also a question about Ravage. Before I read your guide, I was using this alot in the beta but you say it's channel can be broken by taking damage. I guess it can be interrupted by special moves, as we can use kick etc to interrupt AI channelled attacks. But does simply taking damage break it? I did not notice that in the beta. The problems I had were that movement broke the channel, as did mobs dying fast. However, is the damage spread over the duration of the attack (rather than back loaded)? If so, does it really matter if the channel breaks? You'd still be doing decent damage (for no rage cost) until it broke. I get the impression from my reading that ravage is not supposed to be part of the tank's rotation, so maybe I am missing something.

This is a great guide: the description of abilities and talents is the most helpful I have read.

Also a question about Ravage. Before I read your guide, I was using this alot in the beta but you say it's channel can be broken by taking damage. I guess it can be interrupted by special moves, as we can use kick etc to interrupt AI channelled attacks. But does simply taking damage break it? I did not notice that in the beta. The problems I had were that movement broke the channel, as did mobs dying fast. However, is the damage spread over the duration of the attack (rather than back loaded)? If so, does it really matter if the channel breaks? You'd still be doing decent damage (for no rage cost) until it broke. I get the impression from my reading that ravage is not supposed to be part of the tank's rotation, so maybe I am missing something.

As I observed during Beta, Ravage takes 2 GDC to finish. During first GDC you deliver aprox. 35% of total damage, and final blow during second GDC deals twice the damage of apetisers.

So interupting this is painfull IMHO.

awesome guide. one thing you may want to add is what gifts each companion likes. i think that would be a cool addition. this could be a 1 stop shop for everything relating to a Jugg.

ALSO STICKY THIS DANG THING!!!!!!

There are a bunch of changes like this coming really soon. Im getting lots of feedback and have more contributors approaching me every day. The good folks at Torhead have provided some support so you can expect more in the abilities and talents sections soon. People have been sending me some great talent builds which will be added. Here's a brief list of some of the bigger additions on the way

• Adding companion gift preferences
  • Base Damage for highest rank of SW abilities
  • Minimum level to aquire each SW abiltiy
  • Expansion of PVP section to include detailed strategies for SW tanks
  • Links to guides for every flashpoint in the game
  • More talent builds (including leveling specific examples)