Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New computer, any good?

Badankans

I prefer my AMD 1055T, but I was considering using a intell for my next build, if money allows.

The 1055T preforms great for me, I had it up to 3.4ghz but backed it back down to 2.8 because I honestly have no problems with it at stock clocks.

The 1055T is $50 less.

And it performs like it's $100 less...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

if you do not plan to run SLI you should cut your power supply wattage in half. get a branded 450-500 watt pcu, dont be a fool. if you do not believe me, go search for a proper wattage spreadsheets out there and do the math by yourself. the rig you describe will never pull over 400 watt from the outlet.

So he should only have a 50w buffer? :rolleyes: Sorry, but bad advice is bad.

oh and i run game maxed on

AMD 770 be OCed

6870 slightly OCed

4 gig ram

no SSD nor raid.

it runs ok but loading times and alttabing is a bit pain so i plan either to get an SSD+another 4 gigs, or just buy a new platform alltogether for DDR3 and a faster CPU. not sure if i am for it, so much hassle moving all your stuff to a new system.

I run erirly similar specs as you OP

i5 2500k at stock speed

560ti at stock speed

8g ram

1k PSU

SSD for OS and MMO of choice (currently TOR)

2TB HDD for everything else

Game runs like a champ, and so does everything else. Couldn't be happier with my set up.

jesus christ, do you at least remotly understand what are you talking about? industry grade PSU has huge buffer by design, a 450 PSU can endure peaks up to 500-550 watt with no real damage, in fact, those nonbranded PSUs with 450-500 watt on them are in fact 250-300 watt PSUs. if you were in overclocking stuff, you would know it.

there is no need for a buffer when your maximum imaginable peak power drain from the outlet is below 400 watt, the buffer is already in your PSU. OP, get a 450 watt one and stop listening to people who have a absolutely zero clue what they are talking about. Just get a proper one, like FSP Blue Storm series, or alike.

WRONG...

Sorry, the 2500k is THE best bang for the buck in gaming processors today...

That rig will EAT UP SWTOR...

Solid build...

Yep, stick with intel. Ive always mistrusted AMD since in the beginning they wouldn't tell us the core speeds. Just give us model numbers like 2300 and stuff like that.

Since i dont planned to buy a new computer, ive tried to hold down the price abit. But will this do it, or is there anything i should change? (mostly thinking of the gpu). Since i havnt built a computer in ages, i really would like some support.

MSI P67A-G45 REV B3

Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz

Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE

650W

GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB OC

Intel SSD 120gb

So any idea / suggestions would been nice to see. Or will this hold for swtor and be able to upgrade abit in the future?

The only thing i havnt doubble checket is the RAM.

On a second note, the GPU was almost abit over what i wanted to pay, so nothing more expensive then that.

But will this hold for a while? (thinking of changing gpu in 6-12 months)

Cheers

That is a solid system. Upgrade the GPU if you can afford it, but you'll definately be able to run the game at max settings.

If you've never had an SSD before, please look into SSD maintenance and read up on Intels support forums before installation. On my SSD I'm running Windows 7 and SWTOR only and have an HDD for storage.

I prefer my AMD 1055T, but I was considering using a intell for my next build, if money allows.

The 1055T preforms great for me, I had it up to 3.4ghz but backed it back down to 2.8 because I honestly have no problems with it at stock clocks.

The 1055T is $50 less.

Check out this benchmark. Click here.

the i5 2500k eats the 1055T for lunch. No contest. if you're looking at a theoritical price point of 150 vs 200 you would be crazy not to spend the extra 50 for the better performance. I understand loyalty to a brand but the reality is there is no practical reason not to go with the i5.

All my games are installed to a 640GB WD Black drive, except for SWTOR which is on my SSD with my OS.

A SSD is the one computer upgrade you can make that positively affects just about everything in your computer.

If you think SSDs are "meh" than you haven't actually used one day in and day out.

Oh, and RAID for a home desktop is dumb.

I think SSD are "meh" because the price is too high for too slight of a increase in any single area.

120 gigs is nothing, my backup files and music far exceed that. If its your thing then sure, but the price is not worth it to me.

And it performs like it's $100 less...

Even if it does why pay the extra $50 when you can get great price/performance ratio?

I have the 1055T and I have never had any issues with it running any game I have ever played.

If you want to spend the money, go on and buy the intel, but the $50 could be used else where.

there is no need for a buffer when your maximum imaginable peak power drain from the outlet is below 400 watt, the buffer is already in your PSU. OP, get a 450 watt one and stop listening to people who have a absolutely zero clue what they are talking about. Just get a proper one, like FSP Blue Storm series, or alike.

There is no reason to not go with a quality 750W PSU, its the heart of the system.

I have built two pc's and both used the 750TX from Corsair.

Zero issues, plenty of cable length and connectors.

More so if you are going to use one of those power hungry Nvidia cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021

The card the Op linked even suggested a minimum of a 550W PSU.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130739

When you add in that later on the OP might want to throw in a HDD or two (I have three), the power hungry Nvivida cards that he may or may not go dual cards with.

What if the Op wants to have one blu-ray and a DVD drive as well?

There is no reason not give give plenty of head room by buying a larger quality PSU in the 650-750 range.

I know I sure don't want to have to swap out a PSU if I wanted to add a new card/dual cards along with a 4th HDD or so on.

Why choose a PSU that you could see max load and/or high loads all the time?

Edited by titanmike

A "buffer" is simply not needed unless he plans on significantly adding another component sometime down the line (ie, new/second GPU). It's not bad advice at all if he's only planning on running a single card solution.

The PSU is the one part I see most people spend way too much money on for "head room". You don't need head room if you aren't going to use it. It doesn't make any sense.

Check out this benchmark. Click here.

the i5 2500k eats the 1055T for lunch. No contest. if you're looking at a theoritical price point of 150 vs 200 you would be crazy not to spend the extra 50 for the better performance. I understand loyalty to a brand but the reality is there is no practical reason not to go with the i5.

Unless its a budget issue.

For a smaller price points the 1055T fits, if money is not a problem then intel is the way to go.

Not trying to wave brand loyal here, I love my past two AMD cpu's but my next build will likely be intel.

However I think my price point is quite a bit higher than that of the OP's. ($2,000 USD)

A "buffer" is simply not needed unless he plans on significantly adding another component sometime down the line (ie, new/second GPU). It's not bad advice at all if he's only planning on running a single card solution.

The PSU is the one part I see most people spend way too much money on for "head room". You don't need head room if you aren't going to use it. It doesn't make any sense.

Nvidia cards are (in my experience and tests) way too power hungry to not go with a 650W PSU because the Op wants to upgrade the card later anyway.

That could be a second card or a larger larger card.

I guess if money is tight go with a smaller one, otherwise leave room for growth.

I always end up swapping cards before I pass a pc along and build a new one.

I think SSD are "meh" because the price is too high for too slight of a increase in any single area.

120 gigs is nothing, my backup files and music far exceed that. If its your thing then sure, but the price is not worth it to me.

Every time I see someone say something like this I LOL.

SSDs are awesome for MMOs due to the constant reads that are being performed in populated areas, while moving througout the world, etc. If you have a powerful GPU, CPU, plenty of RAM and your system isn't underfunded, and are experiencing hitching I ALWAYS ask what the HDD read/write speeds are. An SSD is an effective way to make sure your HDD isn't bottlenecking your system, if you can afford the luxury of one. And if you catch one on sale on Newegg or whatever, you can get a SATA III SDD 120g for ~$140

If you think that SSDs are for storing your backupfiles and music, you really shouldn't be posting your opinion in hardware threads.

Edited by Vengeful_Deity

Every time I see someone say something like this I LOL.

SSDs are awesome for MMOs due to the constant reads that are being performed in populated areas, while moving througout the world, etc.

If you think that SSDs are for storing your backupfiles and music, you really shouldn't be posting your opinion in hardware threads.

I should not post my opinion because you do not agree with them?

To me there is no reason to buy a 120G SSD when I could (for a bit more) buy two 500G HDD.

Every game I have ever played runs fine, and with the larger space I don't have to worry about only having maybe 3-4 games on my HDD at a time.

I can let steam D/L them and not care.

When SSD's come down in price my mind will change. I doubt that 120G SSD could hold all the games I am currently playing.

STO

AoC

SR3

X-3

X-2

Metro 2033

Alpha protocol.

TOR.

All those plus windows 7 and I doubt the 120 gigs would have much space left. My oblivion mod folder was around 40 gigs alone, my FO-3 folder was more than that.

Edited by titanmike

Since i dont planned to buy a new computer, ive tried to hold down the price abit. But will this do it, or is there anything i should change? (mostly thinking of the gpu). Since i havnt built a computer in ages, i really would like some support.

MSI P67A-G45 REV B3

Intel Core i5 2500K 3,3GHz

Corsair 8GB (2x4096MB) CL9 1600Mhz VENGEANCE

650W

GeForce GTX 560Ti 1024MB OC

Intel SSD 120gb

So any idea / suggestions would been nice to see. Or will this hold for swtor and be able to upgrade abit in the future?

The only thing i havnt doubble checket is the RAM.

On a second note, the GPU was almost abit over what i wanted to pay, so nothing more expensive then that.

But will this hold for a while? (thinking of changing gpu in 6-12 months)

Cheers

z 68 instead of the p67

If you are planning on buying and not going to do it right now you might want to wait for AMDs new series or wait for Nvidias Kepler.

I am on an old Q6600 with a gtx 470 oc, 4gb ddr2 ram, 120gb ssd and I run this game maxed out no worries, It still seems the Q6600 still continues to punch well above its weight when it comes to gaming even today.

You could build a machine to play this game max settings very cheaply these days. No excuse really...unless you live in a hut.

Im playing this game on my toaster @ 394832843 fps maxed out at 230498230432940 x 34059230423 4 resolution.

I should not post my opinion because you do not agree with them?

To me there is no reason to buy a 120G SSD when I could (for a bit more) buy two 500G HDD.

Every game I have ever played runs fine, and with the larger space I don't have to worry about only having maybe 3-4 games on my HDD at a time.

I can let steam D/L them and not care.

When SSD's come down in price my mind will change. I doubt that 120G SSD could hold all the games I am currently playing.

STO

AoC

SR3

X-3

X-2

Metro 2033

Alpha protocol.

TOR.

All those plus windows 7 and I doubt the 120 gigs would have much space left. My oblivion mod folder was around 40 gigs alone, my FO-3 folder was more than that.

It isn't about opinion. You clearly do not know what purupse an SSD would serve in today's systems. If you put your music on your SSD YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Edited by Vengeful_Deity

It isn't about opinion. You clearly do not know what purupse an SSD would serve in today's system. If you put your music on your SSD YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

I am not talking about putting music on one, I am talking about the very limited storage space.

What is the purpose of a SSD? Faster load/boot times. Faster read/write times.

The down side is that a SSD can not hold all the games I keep installed, so what reason is there for me to have one?

None.

Sure I could (every time I wanted to play something else) transfer back and forth between a SSD and a backup/storage HDD. But why?

When I can play games just fine on my 7200 RPM HDD, and for the price of one 120G SSD I can have two 500G HDDS.

I understand SSD is not for storage, I know that. But the space on them is so limited for the price I would rather get not buy one.

It isn't about opinion. You clearly do not know what purupse an SSD would serve in today's system. If you put your music on your SSD YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

He's right about one thing. If you're on a tight budget the SSD is impractical.

Better to go for the cheaper option that offers less performance, but greater storage utility, especially considering you would have to get a normal Hard Drive for storage even if you had an SSD.

But hey, if you CAN afford it, SSD is the way to go. Who doesn't want to boot into Windows in a fraction of the time along with the other quality of life improvenments an SSD can bring to your computing life?

Too many reviews on the 2500k being the best, no mention close of AMD processors.

SSD-wise, yes, great for computing. Not a storage drive though, add a 1 TB HDD drive as a storage drive(or any other size).

Nobody needs to have an i7 to actually get great performance. A Core2Quad works great too. You do need RAM tho, that's the biggest thing. If you have XP, at least have 3 gigs.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.