Why do melee companions default aim?

Raynerok

going to go out on a limb here... this is purely speculation but i think its because Bounty hunter's main stat is aim and the companions you are talking about are bounty hunters

most quest drop we get are aim based, it just makes it easier to gear them up as we can quite easily pass our gear onto our companions as we get upgrades ourselves, i just love being able to put them to use rather than vendor them

Edited by alrighto

Strength users are force users..so willpower increases force abilities..

Aim/Cunning use tech abilities to increase their dmg/ect..

both can use power to increase dmg/heals of their abilites

No, not all strength users are force wielders. For instance, one of the Sith Warrior's companions - a Talz called Broonmark uses strength as his primary stat.

I'm going to go on a limb here and guess that the entire reason the developers gave companions a particular stat is because they wanted to give that companion a particular "look". For instance, bounty hunter armor for a bounty hunter even if they are a melee class.

I'm bounty hunter and two of my companions use melee weapons yet all the gear that is designated for them are aim/endurance based.

Wouldn't strength and endurance be better for them? since aim is only for range weapons?

I think it more has to do with the look of the armor they use.

The Mandalorian kid needs to where bounty hunter armor which of course is Aim based. So giving him Sith Lord strength based armor would look weird.

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter

I'm bounty hunter and two of my companions use melee weapons yet all the gear that is designated for them are aim/endurance based.

Wouldn't strength and endurance be better for them? since aim is only for range weapons?

Some companions were originally designed with ranged weapons, and later were switched to melee. Simply put they just made a lazy fix, but the aim does work as intended.

Yes, the game says 'Aim increases your aptitude with ranged weapons'. The problem is, if Aim is not your primary stat, even if you are a ranged-weapon user, your primary stat will help you LOADS more than any Aim will. Take a Gunslinger Smuggler, for example. Cunning (their primary stat) will help them LOTS more than Aim ever would. Even though they primarily have lots of ranged attacks. Even though 'Aim is for ranged' and 'Cunning is technological aptitude'.

Ignore what the game says any particular stat is good for. (Well, except Presence. It's kinda special, and Endurance is of course health, but it's never a 'primary stat'.)

Only pay attention to the primary stat for your class or for your companion. It's the only thing that really matters, overall. Strength? Willpower? Aim? Cunning? All that matters is if it's the primary stat.

Edited by Shaz

Naah, its all about the gear man.

They want melee companions that can use the bountyhunter/trooper gear.

Hence they use the Aim stat as their main stat, and it works just fine.

What do you care what its called? as long as it works right?

I wish they could use BH/Trooper gear, they can wear heavy armor.