Graphics Card of choice for max FPS (PvP)

Sefron

This thread is for serious discussion on what you have experienced with your current graphics card. More directly, the people who have ‘bit the bullet’ and went out and purchased a new graphics card to make up for the lack of QC/testing that went into zones with more than 5 people at a time *cough

This Tom’s link shows some very simple (not in PvP unfortunately) graphics card performance comparison chart with a few different Q3/4 graphics cards of 2011 running tests and showing some of the varying FPS amongst the cards.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/star-wars-gaming-tests-review,3087-4.html

Me myself, I have an i7 920 (getting old now) 6 GB DDRIII, Vertex SSD and unfortunately the now well out-dated HD 5850. Now while my rig plays all the well tested/stable engine game such as Skyrim on max full everything @ about 60-70 FPS, this game lets it down the most.

So please, for those of you who have gone out and spent your hard earned money to compensate for the lack of proper development, please post your card, and general FPS and more importantly… did the performance justify the spend?

Please discuss.

EDIT: This post is the in PvP Forum because my PvE runs perfectly... it's simply other players friendly/enemy that cause the performance to drop.

Edited by Sefron

i have nvidia gtx 570 SLI. i dont think this game even utilizes SLI tech, and i do know that the highest load ive seen my gfx card under while playing swtor is 40%

not sure how this game is rendering graphics, but it is clearly not utilizing the gfx card properly, or to its fullest extent. i have a steady 60-70 fps on bf3 with all settings maxed out. this game should never drop below 60, yet on the fleet i regularly fall to ~40 fps.

bioware things people would lag with high res textures. if they actually optimized the game to let your computer actually put forth all available resources, many people would have no problem with high res textures.

I own a "XFX HD6870 Black Edition V2" and i'm always always hovering around 30 FPS with shadows and bloom off. In raids (8 man) it's generally much higher but in the Imperial Fleet i should be happy if i see 25 FPS which is pretty sad. My processor is a E6750 at 3.2Ghz so that might be the problem. But as it stands right now, i'm not interested in spending €190,- on a 2500k and i heard the FX-4100 isn't that great, so i'll wait a bit :)

(This card can run Battlefield 3 on Ultra, go figure).

Edit: forgot to mention, i get around 30 FPS in Huttball, i honestly don't know about the others becuase you're lucky if they pop-up once a week.

Edited by LordRaevin

My computer specs are no where near as high as yours and I don't see any problems in FPS in PVP unless I'm overheating due to playing on a laptop. I do see obvious network lag on my end when I play at home and on other peoples ends when I play at a dedicated location but my video performance is for the most part flawless.

I did notice that my friend was experiencing issues on a higher end computer do to a memory leak after patch 1.1.0 but a clean install fixed all his problems as well. If your PVE experience is mostly perfect but your PVP experience is failing then I would suggest you look at your network specs or turn down your graphics settings for PVP but this really shouldn't matter. If I lag in PVE I lag in PVP and vice versa.

mmm yea, that's what I was expecting.

I have been watching some PvP vids that some of the more popular PvP MB's and they have a super-smooth looking WZ's on high, even while fraps is on... I have tried to msg some of them on youtube, but have yet to get anything back.

If I could get over 25 FPS in WZ (and having my graphics on max/low does not effect the performance at all) I would be happy.

If that means I need to spend $500 on a new card, so be it... but I need some confirmation it's not going to be a waste

mmm yea, that's what I was expecting.

I have been watching some PvP vids that some of the more popular PvP MB's and they have a super-smooth looking WZ's on high, even while fraps is on... I have tried to msg some of them on youtube, but have yet to get anything back.

If I could get over 25 FPS in WZ (and having my graphics on max/low does not effect the performance at all) I would be happy.

If that means I need to spend $500 on a new card, so be it... but I need some confirmation it's not going to be a waste

My net is fine as far as I know, speeds are fine and ports are open, it's def a FPS over network issue.

In regards to the mem leak - did he re-install Windows or the game? because my Win 7 64 is as clean/well performing.

wow, I can't believe that so many people have these fps issues. I'm running an older laptop with 2gb ram, xp sp3, and an ati vard that is a 1400 series 256mb. Pretty outdated, yet I'm averaging not much different than some other people with higher power systems. I get down to about 7fps in heated wz's, but late night is much better. Pve is usually around 20-30, depending. I have more problems with fps indoors for some reason. Outdoors usually is reasonable, but I wish they would put the draw distance slider back in the graphics window. I have all settings on low, shadows off, running at 800x600, which is the best performance I can get after lots of trial and error. I can run it at high settings, shadows off and it still works ok, just not enough to be even remotely competitive in pvp. So I'm making do with what I have, and I like the game but get frustrated with lag issues that cause me to die and/or let down my team.

I'm running on a Sony Vaio Laptop that is 3 years old

windows 7 64 bit

Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 2.53GHz

4.00 GB Ram

On board video card

I run 70-80 FPS everywhere. No matter what situation as long as I've played for less than 2 hours because then I start to overheat and my FPS slowly drains til I give my computer a 1 hour break.

These system specs are complete crap compared to everyone having problems. Maybe there is an issue with resource allocation on video cards as opposed to on board video. Maybe there is some other resource allocation problem. I'm not sure all I know is my specs are worse and I have fewer issues so I don't think the graphics card upgrade is worth it imo

windows 7 64 bit

4.00 GB Ram

On board video card

I run 70-80 FPS everywhere. No matter what situation as long as I've played for less than 2 hours because then I start to overheat and my FPS slowly drains til I give my computer a 1 hour break.

These system specs are complete crap compared to everyone having problems. Maybe there is an issue with resource allocation on video cards as opposed to on board video. Maybe there is some other resource allocation problem. I'm not sure all I know is my specs are worse and I have fewer issues so I don't think the graphics card upgrade is worth it imo

You have had great luck... that's a 1 in a million.

Back to discussion for people without super-computers within an old one.

windows 7 64 bit

4.00 GB Ram

On board video card

I gotta call shenanigans on this one... What are your settings low everything?

I'm currently running:

Intel i5-2500k

MSI P67-GD65 Socket 1155 Motherboard

8GB G.Skill RipJaw DDR3-1600 CL8

HIS AMD HD5850 1GB

With everything maxed--including AA and shadows--and Bloom off (don't like the way it looks) I get like 50-90 fps when walking around and in WZ's, and like 15-30fps on the Fleet. I think the server side of things is the problem with Fleet FPS. The game definitely needs some optimization since with the same setup I can get like 60+ fps in WoW on Ultra, and can run Rift on second highest with comperable FPS.

Windows 7 64bit

i7 950

GeForce GTX 460

Low Quality Settings In-game

100+ people in fleet - 45+ FPS

Warzones - 30-50+

Ilum 60+ players (total) fighting - 5-15 FPS

Rather disappointing for my system, but I can live with it in hopes it gets better...

I upgraded to a EVGA 550 TI from Newegg (picked a lower TI model as I had a deal in my email to get it for 120 USD plus a 15 mail in rebate). Since then I run it on High and in areas with shock and all that going maintain 60FPS. When recording I drop to like 30-35, depending. Granted with all this I'm still running on a Core Duo processor.. so this is amazing.

I upgraded to a EVGA 550 TI from Newegg (picked a lower TI model as I had a deal in my email to get it for 120 USD plus a 15 mail in rebate). Since then I run it on High and in areas with shock and all that going maintain 60FPS. When recording I drop to like 30-35, depending. Granted with all this I'm still running on a Core Duo processor.. so this is amazing.

Well thats good news for you.

What card did you have before the upgrade?

I gotta call shenanigans on this one... What are your settings low everything?

Yes low everything. I can easily provide screenshots. I'm not denying that prob;ems exist I'm just saying it appears they don't exist for everyone even with older hardware.

The op asked if upgrading his hardware would improve performance. I provided my input as to why I don't think it will.

Yes low everything. I can easily provide screenshots. I'm not denying that prob;ems exist I'm just saying it appears they don't exist for everyone even with older hardware.

The op asked if upgrading his hardware would improve performance. I provided my input as to why I don't think it will.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback. It helps me understand more about some of the reasons behind why everyone gets different results.

wow, I can't believe that so many people have these fps issues. I'm running an older laptop with 2gb ram, xp sp3, and an ati vard that is a 1400 series 256mb. Pretty outdated, yet I'm averaging not much different than some other people with higher power systems. I get down to about 7fps in heated wz's, but late night is much better. Pve is usually around 20-30, depending. I have more problems with fps indoors for some reason. Outdoors usually is reasonable, but I wish they would put the draw distance slider back in the graphics window. I have all settings on low, shadows off, running at 800x600, which is the best performance I can get after lots of trial and error. I can run it at high settings, shadows off and it still works ok, just not enough to be even remotely competitive in pvp. So I'm making do with what I have, and I like the game but get frustrated with lag issues that cause me to die and/or let down my team.

any 20v20 stuff in Ilum though? I run fine anywhere but when you get more than 50 or so players on the screen I start to chug.

1920 x 1080. Shadows, bloom, and depth of field off. Both sliders at 50%. Anti-Aliasing off. Everything else set to high.

on the fleet i see 20-70fps in spikes. Out in the real world i see 50+ fps depending on the planet. In heated PVP i see around 30 fps. If i travel to ilum, my framerate fluctuates between 30-60 depending on the people and can drop to the low teens when it gets heated.

FX 8120 @ 4.4ghz

GTX 285 slightly OCd

8 GBs of ram

Velociraptor 300 OS/game drive

i5

ATI 5870 1Gb

4Gb DDR3

1920x1080, everything maxed, shadows, no bloom (because AA doesn't work in this case)

40-70fps on planets

20-40 on fleet and in warzones

0-3fps on ilum during "PvP" - lowest settings, no shadows. Also "performance" on ilum becomes worse over time until game crashes - like every hour.

In Ilum I get 8-12 frames in any fight and constant disconnects. On the fleet I get about 20-25 frames with random freezing. Warzones 50-70 when I'm paying attention to it.

1920x1080 everything on high. No performance increase or decrease noticed on Ilum or the fleet with everything set to low.

CPU - i7 960 @ 3.8 ghz

GPU - Two 570gtx in SLI

Ram - 12 gigs

I should run this game at 1000 frames.