Roleplaying

RamathRS

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Anakin.

This.

People think that RP'ing as a dark-jedi (Or turning over to the darkside jedi) are more fun because in the third and second movie (Or atleast i think the second movie) It shows anakins fall to the darkside. This people probably havent watched the older movies, just the newer ones.

<3 u all.

So, one night I was goofing off with my newly-made Jedi Consular (all my serious characters at this point are Empire). I was running through the early missions on Tython, burning the last few minutes before I decided to head to bed.

While I was running towards my next objective, I ran across two people who were roleplaying, in /say. As I usually do, I glanced over the chat and kept on going.

Later, while making my way through the Jedi Temple (the last few minutes before bed had turned into almost an hour), I came across these same two people, still roleplaying inside the temple.

Glancing over the chat, I realized something that made me roll my eyes. This same person was still roleplaying some deeply-troubled, inner-tormented, dark-and-emo Jedi.

Why is it, whenever I happen to run by players roleplaying, do I see people with the need to play some overly emotional, deeply troubled, highly reluctant character? Can a roleplayer answer this for me?

While I don't have a problem with other people roleplaying (after all, it's their money, their free time. Who am I to dictate how someone else should or shouldn't spend their time?), why are most roleplayed characters some Twilight ripoff?

I get the fact that good character development usually requires conflict and contrast to some extent, but why can't roleplaying also be light hearted, adventure seeking, or prank playing? Why do I never see a fun-seeking roleplayed character?

Why is overly-emotional drama the theme of choice for most roleplayers?

Anakin-wannabes, easy as that.

I haven't read all the responses, but I do want to speak my piece and I'm sorry if it's all been repeated.

Wall of text *will* crit you for over 9000, but I like talking about RP, bro.

In my experience -- and I've been RPing formally across many different formats since 2003 -- the overly dramatic characters and plots usually come about because either a) the RPers in question think it's interesting/cool; or, b) they are trying to dial up the escapism part of RPing up to eleven. There's a case to be made for the 'new RPer' syndrome, too: when you come up against experienced RPers who can take something normal or who can play character traits in a more subdued fashion, you tend to want to beef your character up. It's like the RP version of keeping up with the Joneses, and it often fails miserably.

Also, consider that many RP characters, especially in a game like TOR that's just getting started, are initially created in a vacuum. What I mean by this: if Jimmy the RPer decides that he's going to roll Darth Sithface McLightningpants, a brooding Sith guy who's prone to angry tantrums, murder for murder's sake, and whose mother was killed by an elevator on Nar Shaddaa (and he's never gotten over it, oh noes!), he thinks that's a cool idea. Which it is, when created independent of other characters. Then, upon logging into TOR, he sees and meets a lot of people who are, essentially, doing the same thing he's doing for the same reasons.

Ideally -- that is to say, in my own personal vision of "good" RP -- at this point, Jimmy ought to reevaluate Darth Sithface and maybe work with some RPers to even out that backstory. Change some things out. Maybe Darth Sithface learns to channel his rage and becomes more even-keeled on the outside. Perhaps he begins to develop a strict (albeit stilted) moral code. Maybe he gets a girlfriend (or boyfriend!) and learns that he's really good at cooking and retires from active service to end up catering for the Dark Council.

But what usually happens, especially in circles where drama in RP is used as a way to one-up everyone, is that Darth Sithface will get angrier and start being a murder-death-kill-face guy. That girlfriend he got? He'll force-choke her while she's carrying his children and then she'll lose the will to li --

Wait --

Anyway. Darth Sithface will, if he's played in a culture of dramatic oneupsmanship (a terrible syndrome in any RP context, IMO), simply murder more people, steal someone's girlfriend (or boyfriend!) and end up putting strychnine into the Dark Council's soup BECAUSE HE'S EVILLLLL. And all of this will be exposited upon anyone within earshot -- how else can you earn Evil Drama Points?

Part of the skill with RP is to learn what elements work and which ones don't, and to be willing to change said elements. You can still play the murderdeathface Sith, but you can be more subtle about it. Characters can grow; they can change. The questing alone in TOR can practically do that for you if you let it. However, these are skills that can't be taught. There's no guide that can be written about it.

That being said, I think it's always a good idea for RPers of all stripes to be open to constructive criticism ("I don't like this dramatic ****" doesn't count!) and to be willing to engage each other. Once a new RPer who pours on the drama because he or she doesn't know any other way to create conflict or tension spends some time with experienced people -- they'll figure it out too, or they'll ask for ideas and help.

But again, that's me being idealistic; there are many people out there who'll go HOW DARE YOU DICTATE MY RP. Standards and tastes are fine; you'll grow as an RPer by sometimes taking a chance and aligning with those standards and tastes. You can always go back to your quick n' dirty dramatics later.

TL;DR version -- people default to dramatics because it's quick tension/conflict, either because they're new or they're lazy or they're trying to outdo their partners.

This.

People think that RP'ing as a dark-jedi (Or turning over to the darkside jedi) are more fun because in the third and second movie (Or atleast i think the second movie) It shows anakins fall to the darkside. This people probably havent watched the older movies, just the newer ones.

<3 u all.

Personally, I think the story and character could be good, if done right.

For example, my Jedi Sentinel struggles with the Darkside and his emotions because he activated a Sith holocron as an initiate. He fell to the Darkside, before the Jedi brought him back, where he was healed and brought back to the Lightside. He still succumbs occasionally, and performs Darkside actions and acts with emotion occasionally, but he tries to stick to the Jedi Code and the Lightside, which gives the character more depth than a straight-up Dark Jedi or Light Jedi.

He WANTS to do good, but his mind fights itself constantly.

The key words there are "if done right". My Jedi Sentinel also has some issues with emotional control. But there's a difference between RPing the effort to control emotions (sometimes succeeding and sometimes failing) and constantly full of angst and brooding over it.

The key words there are "if done right". My Jedi Sentinel also has some issues with emotional control. But there's a difference between RPing the effort to control emotions (sometimes succeeding and sometimes failing) and constantly full of angst and brooding over it.

I've noticed it's always "done right" when we do it and "done wrong" when someone else does it.

Edited by Darth_Slaine

I've noticed it's always "done right" when we do it and "done wrong" when someone else does it.

Maybe for you.

I've done plenty wrong - and try to learn from it. And I see it often done right - and try to learn from that. I've also seen it done wrong by others - and try to learn from that.

Your vaguely accusing generalization fails.

An angst-filled Jedi may be done well or badly or somewhere between, just as a straight by the book Jedi may also be done well or badly or somewhere between. I wouldn't tell someone RPing an excessively angst-filled brooding Jedi that he's RPing badly or wrong. But I would probably make my excuses and be on my way. If he were a friend who asked my advice, I might gently suggest he tone down the angst. If he didn't ask my advice, I wouldn't say anything.

Edit: I'll leave this discussion by pointing out that just about any character concept that can exist in the game lore can be well done. The most rewarding approach, in my opinion, when encountering something that leaves us suspecting "cliche" is to withhold judgement and see what they do with it. It could be very surprising.

Edited by Sendra

A lot of people are like this, but there is some truth to what she says. The real trick to RPing is convincing the people you are RPing with, just like writing a book is mostly about convincing your readers. For example, if a Jedi IS constantly brooding, full of angst and such, they'd have to take the cause-and-affect relation into account. An angsty Jedi is not going to be a master, for example.

I'll be the first to admit I've ****ed up plenty of characters.

That said, I literally meant 'if done right', as in a believable character, that has both good things and bad things. If they're a broody Jedi that would be overly emotional by OUR standards, though, and don't seem to WANT to be on even footing?

I'm sorry, but I've had first-hand experience of when **** hits the fan with a character idea. Sometimes you need to rethink it and bail.

I'm sorry, but I've had first-hand experience of when **** hits the fan with a character idea. Sometimes you need to rethink it and bail.

I always personally go in without a hugely planned out character, especially into an online game like this. The reason being that if I have a meticulously planned out character, it immediately comes unstuck at the first conversation where Im not allowed to say exactly what I want to.

Also, personally, im not afraid to adapt a character, if what I have been doing isnt working out, ill bend it towards something else. I realise for some people this would class as a 'failure' and I completely understand that sentiment, but for me, its just a speed bump.

For example, my current jk was supposed to be an utterly by the book jk, doo gooder at all times. So far she hasnt picked up any darkside points, but shes pee'd off her companions by picking some dodgy answers and then her companions have perswaded her the right course of action (EG I was so going to leave the imperials on balmora for the insect things, but Doc made me think otherwise). So my first character on here has already had a modification.

Current JK is level 40, im enjoying it, but looking for a change. Going to carry it through to the end before starting an alt (otherwise chances are I wont make it!). Im aiming for a hard line bounty hunter, all about the money sort. Im betting he/she wont make it to lvl 10 before caving in to a change of heart.

I played such a weirdly f-ed up character (who probably would've made a fine Sith) in my last MMO, that I insisted on taking it lighter here.

So I decided to run with a rock/cantina band that is a cover for a spy operation.

Ergo, much of our RP revolves around bad habits, dealing with fans, abusing spice, womanizing, gambling on Huttball, and trying to avoid doing what our band manager/Handler asks us to do.

Generally not very emo or angsty. >_>

Also, consider that many RP characters, especially in a game like TOR that's just getting started, are initially created in a vacuum. What I mean by this: if Jimmy the RPer decides that he's going to roll Darth Sithface McLightningpants, a brooding Sith guy who's prone to angry tantrums, murder for murder's sake, and whose mother was killed by an elevator on Nar Shaddaa (and he's never gotten over it, oh noes!), he thinks that's a cool idea.

I was trying to keep a straight face whilst reading this, but failed :D Thanks for the laugh! I now have a mental image of a Sith Warrior repeatedly spamming AoE's on the Duros sector elevator whilst typing "I HATE YOU! YOU UNDERESTIMATE MY POWAH! IT'S ALL SATELE'S FAULT!"

You bring up a good point though: RP should not be static. Evolution of the character is a big part of the fun, and can be interesting for most people involved. It happened to me for the first time when a joke character I had made for laughs evolved into my main...

Still... RP should be done for FUN. If people like the brooding orphan with godly powers, it's their choice... As long as they keep it to people who like similar RP!