Player Marriages

DarrkLore

I'm not sure about other MMOs, but in FFXI you had the option to marry another player. You could have a wedding and invite all your friends to it. There were actually locations you could rent and formal attire to wear for it and all that good stuff. I'd really love to be able to have a wedding like that in this game and possibly some sort of title or item that you receive afterwards that shows who you're hitched to.

You can romance and marry companions in this game, but you can do nothing of the sort with another player. I play the game with my boyfriend and I know there are a lot of others who play with their bf/gf or spouse so I think it's a cute idea for people like us. Would anybody else like to see this in the game?

I would, that sounds like fun :) I do play with my husband, and I think it's funny that I have all this interaction with npcs and yet our own characters completely ignore each other, heh.

I wonder though if marrying another pc should bar you from marrying a companion? Not the romance though! We like those. :p

I'm not sure about other MMOs, but in FFXI you had the option to marry another player. You could have a wedding and invite all your friends to it. There were actually locations you could rent and formal attire to wear for it and all that good stuff. I'd really love to be able to have a wedding like that in this game and possibly some sort of title or item that you receive afterwards that shows who you're hitched to.

You can romance and marry companions in this game, but you can do nothing of the sort with another player. I play the game with my boyfriend and I know there are a lot of others who play with their bf/gf or spouse so I think it's a cute idea for people like us. Would anybody else like to see this in the game?

You can marry one of your companions, so why not? Yeah, I support this. I also play with my partner/girlfriend so it'd be a nice feature. Maybe they could add some benefits (like the ability to teleport/send a shuttle to the other player - like if you were summonning her/him-)

/signed

Regards,

Erethrorn

Tbh I'm surprised they didn't do something with this. Bioware is big on story telling so my guess is because involving two players in this in game marriage wouldn't add to the "story" they had laid out. No use for the voice over mainly.

But, in one of my earliest experiences with an MMO (actually it WAS my earliest) Conquer Online allowed marriages. And that game is out classed by FAR by this game. Whats kept it alive is constant feature updates. Like the ability to change armor color which I would love out of SWTOR

To the OP, I play with my girlfriend a good bit as well and SHE has often asked why this feature was not part of the game considering the companion thing. In fact were I able to marry her character in game I never would have flirted with my companion just to DO it in the first place. That could be -A- reason behind their decision not to allow player marriages.

Tbh I'm surprised they didn't do something with this. Bioware is big on story telling so my guess is because involving two players in this in game marriage wouldn't add to the "story" they had laid out. No use for the voice over mainly.

But that's the thing... they could very easily add this to the story aspect of the game. TOR already has a great setup for something like this. They could have the two characters getting married go into a conversation cut scene with an NPC officiate to play out the ceremony.

Not saying that's out of the question, but I believe they wanted to keep that sort of cut scene out due to their characters not "saying what they would want them to." Some people would complain about it with no question. Not me. Just playing devils advocate here.

Um... Roleplay it.

You don't need an in-game system to marry another player character. All you need is another player who wants to marry their character to yours. Then you play together accordingly.

There are plenty of open spaces to hold weddings. You can invite all your friends, your guild, strangers, whoever.

I guess I don't see what you are asking for.

Not saying that's out of the question, but I believe they wanted to keep that sort of cut scene out due to their characters not "saying what they would want them to." Some people would complain about it with no question. Not me. Just playing devils advocate here.

What do you mean by that? They could still give the characters dialogue options... people make up their own vows. They could have a sentimental option, a funny option, and like a gold digging option or something lol

If they made marriage/wedding stuff a separate purchase (like City of Heroes/Villains power packs), then something like that could be viable.

However, judging from current BioWare storytelling styles, the marriage of two toons cannot be controlled by BioWare writing staff. Therefore, it will not be in a BioWare game. They're very scared of emergent storytelling.

I would love to see that come into being as well. My fiance and I have been discussing it for quite a while now. I will be super excited if we could some day! I'll save my actual wedding day for the day SWTOR announces in-game marriage, if at all possible, I mean. :p

• 6 years later...
I play with my girlfriend and we'd love this feature, it doesn't have to be much like Conquer Online a server wide message is sent and it'll display when inspecting the character in question that's basically all that'd be required. Edited by swecrusader