Will SwtoR run on my 47" 1080 phillips TV?

Dmartelli

it is still a PERCEIVED difference... this is something that can AND WILL look different to every person.

the signal loss and noise is something that can be measured on these outputs. it is plain as day that a pure digital signal is cleaner than converted analog.

now this isn't to say that there is some reason you feel the vga is cleaner... maybe the pc has funky hdmi ports, maybe the tv does, maybe the cable is crap...

in the end, it doesnt really matter what you connect with, if you like the picture...

but, the math is there... digital-digital is always better than analog-digital

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol, you cant read chat cause HDMI is really designed for watching video and TV, not for data.

If your TV has a VGA connection for DVI, and you actually try them out, you will find that the image quality coming from a PC is superior.

Video is "data."

What makes a picture from a computer different from a picture from some other source? Here, let me tell you: absolutely nothing. It's just a picture. It's video, just like any other video is just video. The source does not matter. There aren't extra bits added because it came from a computer.

Converting from digital to analog, and then back to digital, will cause loss. VGA cannot give you higher quality than an all-digital connection. Maybe you have some bad cables, but barring that, what you're saying isn't possibly true.

I have a portable PC that has HDMI out, VGA out and DisplayPort Out.

I have visually tested all three on several different TVs and with multiple people.

Every single time, DisplayPort > VGA > HDMI.

Test it for yourself DERP.

Just cause you have right resolution size doesn't make it 1080p

1080p is a digital picture, VGA is not digital,

Also dvi and hdmi is exact same thing just hdmi has video and audio and video in same signal.

I run hdmi on my game rig, not all video cards are optimized for display on a digital tv, and not all digital tv's are optimized to be used as a monitor.

The best tv's for computer use is vizio, Samsung and lg, Sony totally sucks for this purpose.

it is still a PERCEIVED difference... this is something that can AND WILL look different to every person.

the signal loss and noise is something that can be measured on these outputs. it is plain as day that a pure digital signal is cleaner than converted analog.

now this isn't to say that there is some reason you feel the vga is cleaner... maybe the pc has funky hdmi ports, maybe the tv does, maybe the cable is crap...

in the end, it doesnt really matter what you connect with, if you like the picture...

but, the math is there... digital-digital is always better than analog-digital

Like another poster said, "I can't read the text when using HDMI.".

Why? Cause image is not that great through HDMI.

I never ever said to convert a digital out to VGA in or vice versa. I said that a VGA connection will deliver a crisper readable image compared to HDMI when it comes to a computer connection.

This is not just my perception. I work with a group of engineers and we do 3d modeling for a major construction project and we use DVI or VGA connections exclusively on the large TVs because HDMI image quality sucks across multiple TVs and brands and screen sizes.

Anyone that says othewise has just been too lazy to really check it out and test it.

Yes it will, may have to turn off shadows based on your GPU. Is your TV a plasma? if so DO NOT RUN SWTOR on it. Unless you like burn in ;)

Just a note...Happily playing Star Wars on my plasma. Actually play all my PC games on the plasma. Have used my 42" plasma as my main display for over 3 years now, and I don't have burn in.

Luckily new Plasma TV's have settings built into them that reduce the so called burn in. In addition they also have black and white washes to clear the burn in *if* it happens. :D

I never ever said to convert a digital out to VGA in or vice versa. I said that a VGA connection will deliver a crisper readable image compared to HDMI when it comes to a computer connection.

This is not just my perception. I work with a group of engineers and we do 3d modeling for a major construction project and we use DVI or VGA connections exclusively on the large TVs because HDMI image quality sucks across multiple TVs and brands and screen sizes.

Anyone that says othewise has just been too lazy to really check it out and test it.

http://i36.tinypic.com/2j0ml9x.jpg

Just a note...Happily playing Star Wars on my plasma. Actually play all my PC games on the plasma. Have used my 42" plasma as my main display for over 3 years now, and I don't have burn in.

Luckily new Plasma TV's have settings built into them that reduce the so called burn in. In addition they also have black and white washes to clear the burn in *if* it happens. :D

indeed you are correct. Plasma burn in is a thing of the early generation. There is also a difference between image retention and burn in.

Also dvi and hdmi is exact same thing just hdmi has video and audio and video in same signal.

I run hdmi on my game rig, not all video cards are optimized for display on a digital tv, and not all digital tv's are optimized to be used as a monitor.

The best tv's for computer use is vizio, Samsung and lg, Sony totally sucks for this purpose.

If I can see the image on the TV then for all intense and purposes, it is digital.

All I ever said that that a VGA connection for a PC to a TV will deliver a crisper image.

And that if DVI is available that is they way to go or DisplayPort for the best of both worlds.

Anyone that does any research will quickly discover that HDMI is designed for Video and not for data. DVI, VGA and DisplayPort are designed for PCs / Data type displays.

No, that's not what I meant at all. I said I prefer playing on my monitor because when the relative text size is LARGER being 1 foot away from my 24" monitor vs being about 10ft from my 46" TV. The picture on the TV actually looks better than my monitor (this is simply due to better contrast!)

Im playing on a 51" 7000D trust me, you can get very bad image retention. But that was cuz I played 14 hours of swtor that day lol. But yes they have pixel shift to help with that. It is glorious playing on that screen.

No, that's not what I meant at all. I said I prefer playing on my monitor because when the relative text size is LARGER being 1 foot away from my 24" monitor vs being about 10ft from my 46" TV. The picture on the TV actually looks better than my monitor (this is simply due to better contrast!)

Exactly, your computer probably uses a DVI connection and thus provides a better quality image for reading data on the screen.

They are not the same.

If you have a high resolution monitor, IE resolution greater than 1920 x 1080, you cannot use a HDMI connection and run a resolution higher than 1920 x 1080.

A DVI connection will allow you to run at resolution above 1920 x 1080.

Again, people, do your freaking homework and stop buying into the false idea that HDMI is as good as standard PC display connections.

They are not the same.

If you have a high resolution monitor, IE resolution greater than 1920 x 1080, you cannot use a HDMI connection and run a resolution higher than 1920 x 1080.

A DVI connection will allow you to run at resolution above 1920 x 1080.

Again, people, do your freaking homework and stop buying into the false idea that HDMI is as good as standard PC display connections.

correct about hdmi

wrong about dvi

dual link dvi does higher than 1920x1080 or at 120hz or 3d

Edited by Threefiddie

Exactly, your computer probably uses a DVI connection and thus provides a better quality image for reading data on the screen.

Why didn't you listen to anything I said?

I said it has nothing to do with the "crispness". It just has to do with the fact that when you sit 1 foot away from the screen, a smaller screen will appear larger to you than a bigger screen sitting farther away.

I did sit on the floor 5 feet in front of the TV and it looked much better with the text actually being "crisper"

1080 1080 1080

ppl blah this around and they dont even know wot the F it is.

its the part of the screen res for EG 1900 x 1080 (16:9)

its the number of pixels u get, playing with ONLY 1080 horizontal pixels on a 40 inch screen is crap

YES, there is a difference between a monitor and a TV.

They have to spread the same number of pixels over a larger area making the pic look crap

(unless they have an upscaler)

a 30 inch monitor running at 2560 x 1600 pixels is going to give a much better picture

then a 40inch screen running only 1900 x 1080 pixels.

go play on a big *** TV if you want lots of space between ur pixles.

Hi here are the stats for my rig, i wanna know if i will be able to play this game on max settings hooked up to a 47" 1080p phillips TV:

AMD FX-4100 3.60 GHz Quad-Core AM3+ CPU 4MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology

Pro OC (Performance Overclock 10% or more)

[CrossFireX] GigaByte GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory

AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card

650 Watts - Thermaltake TR2 RX Modular 80 Plus PSU - PN: TRX-650M

1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD

PLease say yes lmao. i think it would be incredible to play on a big screen @ max settings! Goodbye social-life if it does hahaha.

You CPU and GPU will not be able to push out max settings at 1080p.

Connect your computer using HDMI or DVI connector. DO NOT USE VGA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And when you play on a big screen you should have gotten yourself a much better rigg that can push out 60 fps with 8xAA (not the crap ingame AA). Because the image will be so large you will notice all the edges.

Also if your TV is not pixelmapped to the signal you are going to get lines and similar that will ruin the image. So make sure you tv can pixel map the image to the in source from your computer.

correct about hdmi

wrong about dvi

dual link dvi does higher than 1920x1080 or at 120hz or 3d

Never said it didn't.

DVI since it's incarnation could always deliver high end resolutions beyond 1920 x 1080.

Dual Link DVI is only then next gen and is still referred as DVI in general conversation.

Bottom line is that VGA will also deliver resolutions beyond 1920 x 1080 and that is something HDMI cannot do.

Btw are you talking about DVI-I or DVI-D dual link?

1080 1080 1080

ppl blah this around and they dont even know wot the F it is.

its the part of the screen res for EG 1900 x 1080 (16:9)

its the number of pixels u get, playing with ONLY 1080 horizontal pixels on a 40 inch screen is crap

YES, there is a difference between a monitor and a TV.

They have to spread the same number of pixels over a larger area making the pic look crap

(unless they have an upscaler)

a 30 inch monitor running at 2560 x 1600 pixels is going to give a much better picture

then a 40inch screen running only 1900 x 1080 pixels.

go play on a big *** TV if you want lots of space between ur pixles.

1920x1080.

Playing on a big tv gives a better immersion than playing on a smaller one. Picture quality is not everything. Thats why projectors is more popular for watching a movie than watching with a 22" computer screen.

The only side effect of that resolution is the frequency of the monitor refresh rates which are typically 60hz or even 59hz.

Peter Jackson for his upcoming Hobbit movie is filming at 48 frames a second, not the normal 24 frames a second movies today use. This will make his movie reach a new level of high definition. The same applies to your monitor refresh rates from your computer.

I am currently playing on a 58 inch LCD, when I switch to my lessor computer monitor things looks more detailed simply because of the refresh rate.

Edited by NuanceNW

Peter Jackson for his upcoming Hobbit movie is filming at 48 frames a second, not the normal 24 frames a second movies today use. This will make his movie reach a new level of high definition. The same applies to your monitor refresh rates from your computer.

at 6k resolution and 3d with RED 3d cameras!

DROOOOOLLLLLLL!

Edited by Threefiddie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.