4 Piece Bonus makes Blade Barrier Mandatory

Jaryyn

The War Leader's 4 piece bonus causes Blade Barrier to reduce damage by 20% for the duration of the proc. It would seem then that any build that doesn't include this talent goes out the window. I know some players were experimenting with the (18/23/0) vigilance build centered around the guardian leap application through 2 points in "Protector" that also gives a 4 second 20% damage reduction to the tank. The 12 second cd of blade storm and the 10 second proc of blade barrier translates to an 83% uptime throughout an encounter. If I'm missing something here or if my calculations are incorrect then please point it out.

Blade Barrier is an absorb shield that absorbs a moderate amount of damage(i.e. not a lot). This means that it usually wears off faster then you can refresh it thus reducing the uptime of the 20% damage reduction. Haven't tested it myself though, so don't know how good or bad it is.

The War Leader's 4 piece bonus causes Blade Barrier to reduce damage by 20% for the duration of the proc. It would seem then that any build that doesn't include this talent goes out the window. I know some players were experimenting with the (18/23/0) vigilance build centered around the guardian leap application through 2 points in "Protector" that also gives a 4 second 20% damage reduction to the tank. The 12 second cd of blade storm and the 10 second proc of blade barrier translates to an 83% uptime throughout an encounter. If I'm missing something here or if my calculations are incorrect then please point it out.

Blade Barrier is down after 1 hit. At best it has a 20% uptime in combat

want to know the best thing to do?

get 4 piece War Leader set for: increases damage by 5% when guarding someone.

get all of the vindicator pieces

swap all of the vindicator mods into the war leader armour

you now have a permanent 5% damage bonus, as well as all of the accuracy/power stats that the vindicator armour gives.

Yup, it only increases the damage absorbed by 20%.... not that useful IMHO. Proc is usually gone in 1st hit, so just a few seconds at most. Personally I would still rather have Protector.

And the bonus from the Vindicator set: Guardian Leap heal and 10% damage increase for 5s after Force Leap. :D

want to know the best thing to do?

get 4 piece War Leader set for: increases damage by 5% when guarding someone.

get all of the vindicator pieces

swap all of the vindicator mods into the war leader armour

you now have a permanent 5% damage bonus, as well as all of the accuracy/power stats that the vindicator armour gives.

5% damage bonus only applies in player vs player. Read better next time before offering advice that would cost a lot of people a lot of credits for remodding.

That said, the TANK ARMOR is meant for the TANK SPEC, aka Defense. Right now, Defense spec is crap, though-- Blade Barrier is a free heal every 12s though so if you're rolling without it you are stressing your healers out and should feel bad.

The TANK ARMOR is not intended to be used with A DPS SPEC as effectively. This is Working As Intended. Scream at Bioware to fix our tanking tree, instead of fixing our tanking armor.

The major problem with Blade Barrier is, that it doesn't scale. Abilities that don't scale with something will always become weak in the long run.

A solution would be to let Blade Barrier scale with our hitpoints or our Force Power.

In beta there was a post that found some evidence it may be based off 10% of our health. It was from some datamined info and no one confirmed if it actually worked that way.

After a little search I found the line on torhead for Blade Barrier:

AbsorbDamage: SpellType=>Force, StandardHealthPercentMin=>0.1, StandardHealthPercentMax=>0.1, DamageType=>None, AmountPercent=>1

I think that could mean it's based off of .1 of our health, but I'm not sure if that is the correct interpretation of that.

But honestly, even if does scale that way, you're barely going to notice a difference between a 1.5k (starter 50 hp) and a 2k (geared 50) shield.

Edited by Nellise

i read on a theorycrafter website that it scales with "force healing" which afaik is a function of force power, and scales with strength[?], willpower, attack power and force power stats.

here's the guide:

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Immortal-Defense-Compendium-A-Tank-s-Guide-To-The-Galaxy

according to this, the formula is:

1161.94 + 3.27 * force healing bonus

i read on a theorycrafter website that it scales with "force healing" which afaik is a function of force power, and scales with strength[?], willpower, attack power and force power stats.

here's the guide:

http://sithwarrior.com/forums/Thread-Immortal-Defense-Compendium-A-Tank-s-Guide-To-The-Galaxy

This is roughly accurate. This means that you can just about expect Blade Barrier to be a ~2k damage shield, 2.5k with your set bonus.

While this MAY seem insignificant, that's ~10-15% of your health shielded every 12 seconds, which is a pretty huge relief on healers. It is essentially equivalent to having a free ~10-15% heal cast on you every 12 seconds. I'm not sure why you would ever think this is bad.

here's the guide:

That formula is questionable. In the beta Elobi asked in the mechanic thread about the formula for Sonic Barrier and LagunaD answered him with the formula for Static Barrier (the Consular bubble). Later on LagunaD even told him that this is not the right formula, but for whatever reason Elobi put that formula in his guide, believing that it would also fit Sonic Barrier. As of yet, I haven't seen any proof that this formula fits and it would be strange, that a "high amount" absorb ability would use the same coefficient than a "moderate amount" absorb ability.

It is hard to test something like that in this game, because we have no combat log. To test it, we would need to get hit by an ability with perfect constant damage, but most abilities have a damage range and all can crit. :(

That formula is questionable. In the beta Elobi asked in the mechanic thread about the formula for Sonic Barrier and LagunaD answered him with the formula for Static Barrier (the Consular bubble). Later on LagunaD even told him that this is not the right formula, but for whatever reason Elobi put that formula in his guide, believing that it would also fit Sonic Barrier. As of yet, I haven't seen any proof that this formula fits and it would be strange, that a "high amount" absorb ability would use the same coefficient than a "moderate amount" absorb ability.

It is hard to test something like that in this game, because we have no combat log. To test it, we would need to get hit by an ability with perfect constant damage, but most abilities have a damage range and all can crit. :(

It's actually irrelevant.

The amount of 'Force Healing' a well geared Guardian gets is anywhere between 100 and 200. Nothing will increase this unless you stack willpower, and you're a terrible tank if you do this. This means that Blade Barrier isn't going to be much more than a 2~2.5k bubble on your best day.

Meanwhile, a Sage will probably have... ugh, I dunno, 500~1000 bonus healing? I've never played one, just basing it on how much Force Damage I get as a tank from my Strength. So the same formula, for a Sage, would give some pretty damn nasty 4k~6k bubbles, which is consistent with what I've seen in PvP.

Edited by Celeitia