How can you not run SWTOR on max?

wolfsheadbane

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sir, I am using a laptop. I run SWTOR just fine. I also run World of Warcraft with the Ultra graphical settings and get 40+ FPS. There is absolutely nothing wrong with gaming on a laptop.

I would actually argue the question as to why anyone would want to buy a desktop PC. Laptops have great specs today. My wife has a desktop that only cost $100 less than my Laptop. Her desktop has signifigantly less capabilities than my laptop. She has 1G less RAM, a video graphics card that will barely run WOW. Her HD is the same as my laptop.

The packaging of your computer makes no difference. Desktop, laptop, or 1985 vintage. What matters is what you are running inside. The guts make the difference. And, no, I am not joking about the 1985 vintage computer. I had a buddy that just continued to upgrade everything in his computer year after year. There isn't a single original component inside the machine, but the shell is 100% all original. Looks like a dinosaur, but will multibox WOW.

I am a laptop user, and I will see you all in the battlegrounds.

You pay more for mobile tech... and you definitely can not reach the higher end of the spectrum in a laptop. No way can you squeeze the latest gen video cards into a lappy, you can't even squeeze that many watts into a mobile power supply, lol.

That being said you can still purchase a laptop that will play most games very well. If you want to run with a bigger monitor and a higher resolution AND max settings on the latest games, you're going to need a desktop.

My Boyfriend has a gaming laptop. I have a gaming computer bought in 2008.

Who's runs more smoother, faster, and better? His.

My computer is fail yo. lol Don't hate on all laptop users.

Alienware / gaming "laptops" are more like mobile computers, LOL They're freakin HUGE and heat up FAST. They work great for what they are though...

My Boyfriend has a gaming laptop. I have a gaming computer bought in 2008.

Who's runs more smoother, faster, and better? His.

My computer is fail yo. lol Don't hate on all laptop users.

Who blows money on a gaming laptop that can't match desktops in 3 months?

Who blows money on a gaming laptop that can't match desktops in 3 months?

People who need a laptop for work because they have to constantly have their "work" with them but want to game at the same time without spending a **** ton on buying BOTH a laptop and a desktop.

BTW, I own a gaming laptop. It's a year old. I run things like BF3 and Skyrim on High w/o even turning on the OC option.

Prejudice is ignorance.

Edited by midnyt

How can you even remotely say that?

I could build a machine far more expensive than that and not be robbed by any stretch of the imagination ... you don't even know the specs...

My monitor cost more than that new... how do you know a monitor wasn't included?

Key word: build.

He bought a pre-made for $2500. He was robbed.

All you people claiming that a $500-$600 Desktop will run this game on max settings with no issues MUST be smoking something.

I wish I was smoking something!

This runs ToR on max settings ( shadows and the whole bit ) with min 40fps in crowded areas @1920 x 1080 and cost me roughly $600 to build last year due to shopping for discounts on parts plus reusing parts I already had such as the hard drives and keyboard/mouse. Haven't met any game yet that I can't run on high settings or above.

Manufacturer:

Self

Processor:

Pentium® Dual-Core CPU E6700 @ 3.20GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.2GHz with CoolIT ECOalc water cooling

Memory:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-4GBRL

Hard Drive:

750GB/160GB/160GB

Video Card:

SPARKLE Calibre Series X460G GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

Monitor:

ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1

Sound Card:

Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Speakers/Headphones:

Technics SA-DX940 Stereo Receiver 5.1 Surround

Keyboard:

Saitek Cyborg V5

Mouse:

Saitek Cyborg Rat 3

Mouse Surface:

Mouse Pad

Operating System:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_gdr.100618-1621)

Motherboard:

ASUS P5G41T-M LX LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Computer Case:

Antec DF-85

Edited by Zorvan

My computer is as fast as you can get and it cant run swtor on Max. And really you just cannot build a faster machine.

I suggest looking at your hardware. You may have viruses, critical errors, driver issues, or failing components. You don't need top of the line hardware to run this game on max, that's for absolute certain.

I suggest looking at your hardware. You may have viruses, critical errors, driver issues, or failing components. You don't need top of the line hardware to run this game on max, that's for absolute certain.

It must be a joke. My old clunker maxes the game no problem, with AA forced, and lots of room to spare.

Actually, benchmarks show that this game, even at low, has a higher barrier to entry than most MMOs

"Although it doesn't look particularly demanding, Star Wars: The Old Republic seems to require mid-range graphics hardware in order to run smoothly. The Radeon HD 6450 GDDR5 is a fairly respectable low-end card, yet it couldn't muster a minimum 30 FPS at 1280x1024 using the lowest available detail settings. That's a pretty high requirement for an MMO, a genre that traditionally targets low-end integrated graphics hardware in order to accommodate the largest possible install base.

With texture transparency anti-aliasing enabled, this MMO is much more demanding. At 1920x1080, only AMD's Radeon HD 6970 was able to provide slightly more than a minimum of 30 FPS, although the GeForce GTX 570 was only a little behind." - Toms Hardware

Edited by Mithris

oh my god this made me LOL hard!

also for all of you people saying blahblah bigger priorities blahblah i am 20 have 2 children don't work neither does my partner live at home with my parents and still managed to buy a machine that cost 2500$ if you are the age of 13-16 then i understand but even then i don't see why your parents woudn't get you a machine that wasn't from 1720 for christmas or something

i feel bad for your kids.....

Actually, benchmarks show that this game, even at low, has a higher barrier to entry than most MMOs

That quote has me baffled. I get much higher than 30FPS with a 6970.

edit: never mind, I read the rest of the article. Now it makes sense.

Edited by daemian

Yea. The graphics cards in their eMachines. From 98.

That or integrated graphics. *shudder*

I'm running a pretty decent machine I built a little over a year ago. The Video Card isn't **** good but it's good. I run FFXIV at medium settings @ my native of 1440 x 900 at 58-60fps. There were some areas in SWTOR during beta that my fps dropped from 60+ to 4, and even when I lowered settings still only made it to 10. I'm hoping that's not the case in Launch. I did report it. (I am still running IDE drives, too cheap right now to switch to SATA.)

Also eMachines. LOL.

I adore Tom's Hardware, but something must have been horribly wrong with their test rig with some of the comments made. RIFT and Aion are vastly more demanding, SWTOR is not, and arguably outdated. If anything will drag down performance, it's poor programming, which one must question considering "AA" has been removed from the game, and still hasn't made it's appearance back yet.

i can totally see how it can become a bit heavy at some times. to be honest, with a quadcore at 3.7ghz and a gtx580 and i still get fps dips to 30's without AA. so yeah. the game is much more needy than i imagined.

Your computer is terribly unoptimized then...

I run a i7 920 Quad OC'd @ 3.5ghz w/ a Geforce 570 Classified, with max settings on w/ AA 4x and I never dip below 60fps... ever.

GPU rarely goes above 70% usage either.

Edited by NegativeX

I'm gaming on a laptop. Take that elitist savage!:D

My laptop has integrated graphics. It runs The Old Republic just fine on medium settings. In fact I turned some of them up all the way.

I was lucky to have enough money for this laptop when my old piece of crap crashed just over a year ago. I will play this one until it is also a piece of crap and crashed. Either that or until I'm filthy rich and can afford a new gaming computer. I have priorities beyond gaming. Food, wife, rent, health, car payments, Taco Bell, college, Taco Bell, utilities, clothing, Vault, etc. :)

I agree it's funny to think about how old some people's computer's are. But not everyone has the opportunity, wealth, or even priorities to upgrade to a top of the line machine every couple years. Most people just want a so-so portable all around machine. Tain't nurfin' wrong with that, and I applaud MMO's for realizing good graphics does not equal good game.

I'm trying to figure how you think a $200-$300 computer can run the game at max settings. The integrated graphics on those are well below the min required specs. Not too mention the bottlenecking from the cheap cpu and 1-2g RAM.

BTW, a lot of people game on a laptop. Some even have dedicated video cards.

I just can't comprehend how in this day and age where i could buy a laptop for like 200-300 that could run the game on max settings that people still have computer from 1990 that get low fps still on low settings? i know everyone doesn't have money but somewhere within the 20 year span of having your computer surely saving 1 dollar a day could afford enough for a computer not still on DOS

Edit: some people are neglecting the fact i said low FPS on LOW settings , how you can possibly have a machine that old is beyond me any computer made within like 6 years would be able to run swtor fine

Edit: If you are gaming on a laptop in the first place what is wrong with you??

Someone still lives with his parents....buy a house, get married, have a few kids, and see where your money gets you....yea they are spending money on SWTOR but its cheaper than a few movies a month but saving up for the lump cost of a computer can be expensive. Just saying dude, take a look at how strapped finances are for a normal family when you take into account rent/mortgage - $500-1000, insurance for you and dependents - $900, food - $400, phone, electric, water, internet- $250, gas 100-200, taxes, SSN, etc 10% then say the average salary (heck I will bump it up to 30,000 for you, which means aprx lets say 3000 for SSN and taxes, 27,000 takehome, 2250 each month). Monthly bills = at least 2150 or so....tell me where does the money come from for a new computer? Most people really dont have that much money to keep buying new computers, people like you and I are the lucky ones....a lot of families dont have 300 bucks just lying around...and if they do, they would much rather buy the extra gas so they can make it to work or save it in case they get laid off, etc.

"Why play this game?" you ask....simple, same reason many people went to movies during the great depression, its called escapism...trust me if you worked at wal-mart or a gas station 10 hrs a day for your lifetime you would want something to forget it to.

*** I forgot car payments/repairs so take the extra 100 off that even

Edited by Gilgamec

I adore Tom's Hardware, but something must have been horribly wrong with their test rig with some of the comments made. RIFT and Aion are vastly more demanding, SWTOR is not, and arguably outdated. If anything will drag down performance, it's poor programming, which one must question considering "AA" has been removed from the game, and still hasn't made it's appearance back yet.

I think they were being more general, I'd agree that there are obviously games that are more demanding (AoC) but it still puts SWTOR above the general curve of their AMD 6450 baseline.

AA is really the kicker performance-wise right now (I doubt most have forced it on so aren't seeing the hit)

Edited by Mithris