My GPU reached 106 celsius! (222f)

Johnholliday

really it did.

at max temp during my gameplay last nite my gpu reached that degree. that is soo freaking hot im at a loss for words.

specs:

amd athlon 6000+ 3.0ghz dual core x64 (6.0 windows system rating)

4x1gb gskill ddr2 pc-8500 400mhz front side bus maxxed. (6.0 system rating)

nvidia geforce 9800gt 512mb ddr3 (6.7 windows system rating)

standard hdd 250gb 7200rpm (5.4 windows system rating)

450w ps

my bottleneck is my hdd from the system ratings.

i keep my tower dust free with cans of compressed air monthly, free of infection, and up to date with drivers, etc.

im going to switch heat sinks for the cpu but i do not know how to cool my gpu aside from buying a better one.

thoughts?

side note: i do rather well with fps avg 50 in open world and 20 on fleet

Edited by Johnholliday

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are the video drivers up to date? That is the only thing that I can think of. Maybe the card isn't supported by the game, or the game does not recognize the drivers. If that were the case then the card would not know which temperature to run at under load. Check the see if all of your drivers are good. I do not know why it would be running so hot other wise. I run with an EVGA GTX570 SC Edition and I don't think I've seen it go over 70 yet.

EDIT:

I apologize. I did not see the part where your drivers are up to date. Check on the drivers list to see if they're supported by the game then maybe? Not sure bud. Sorry though. Try adding another case fan facing directly onto the card and try again. If your motherbord does not have a spot for one then get one that is USB powered or externally powered and try running the game with it. See the max temperature rating for you card too and if 106 is above it, then I would stop playing or lower the graphics to low for now until you figure out the issue.

EDIT 2:

Another thing I did not think of before was your PSU. You say you only have a 450W supply which is fine for a standard PC. The 9800GT you listed has a Minimum PSU Requirment of 450W though. Maybe it is not getting the full power needed. This would cause the fans to not work properly and would therefore make the card run too hot.

Edited by Aharx

really it did.

at max temp during my gameplay last nite my gpu reached that degree. that is soo freaking hot im at a loss for words.

specs:

amd athlon 6000+ 3.0ghz dual core x64 (6.0 windows system rating)

4x1gb gskill ddr2 pc-8500 400mhz front side bus maxxed. (6.0 system rating)

nvidia geforce 9800gt 512mb ddr3 (6.7 windows system rating)

standard hdd 250mb 7200rpm (5.4 windows system rating)

450w ps

my bottleneck is my hdd from the system ratings.

i keep my tower dust free with cans of compressed air monthly, free of infection, and up to date with drivers, etc.

im going to switch heat sinks for the cpu but i do not know how to cool my gpu aside from buying a better one.

thoughts?

side note: i do rather well with fps avg 50 in open world and 20 on fleet

First off, the game isn't optimized yet. It's terrible.

Secondly, your entire computer is a bottleneck for most new games.

Windows Rating means nothing in the real world. It's a marketing tool from Microsoft to make people think their computer is good. It worked on you.

As far as your card is concerned, you're not alone. My 2 cards reach nearly 90c under load.

Loading screens, and empty enviornments render at max FPS (111.4) and the card is smoking hot because it's so easy for it to render those areas.

You need fan control, which you won't get for that card, it's old.

While a hard drive is the slowest part of any computer, new or old, it won't change anything.

Motherboard, CPU, Memory, Graphics card, Power Supply upgrade, in that order.

You can keep the hard drive since it won't change anything, unless you want point oh-oh-oh-oh eight percent faster loading screens with a Solid State Drive.

They really only help windows boot times and application loading.

Edited by VoXPCS

ok, if your GPU is that hot it's one of 2 things.

1: Bad airflow, your case isn't venting and replacing the air fast enough. If you have a crappy case consider an upgrade. More fans=better usually. The idea is to have several fans running at low speed moving a lot of air, it's much better than a few fans running at high RPM's and making a lot of noise. Heat rises so try to vent from the top.

2: You have a bad thermal paste application between the GPU and it's heat sync. This can be remedied by removing the heat sink, cleaning it (I use acetone but if you're not familiar with computer components just stop lol) re-applying paste AS5 (arctic silver 5) is good and re-installing the heat sync.

I would look to reason 1 first.

Some quick things to try:

Take your side panel off and set up an external fan to blow fresh air into the case directly.

See how your temp's are, if they're the same it's probably a TP (thermal paste) issue, but if they're lower it's definitely airflow.

You have insufficient air flow and cooling for your case. You need to get a better heat sink and air flow to your computer. Dust the fans and move it to a more open spot at your desk. Google basic thermal care for your PC. I'm sure someone like Tom's Hardware has a guide for the novice.

Obviously, this is not normal. What kind of fan do you have on it? I had this problem and I had to completely dismantle the card to get into the cooling pipes (not sure what they're called). Mine had half an inch of compacted dust blocking the pipes. Check to make sure that everything is clear.

-edit-

I have the same card as you.

Edited by leojreimroc

1: Bad airflow, your case isn't venting and replacing the air fast enough. If you have a crappy case consider an upgrade. More fans=better usually. The idea is to have several fans running at low speed moving a lot of air, it's much better than a few fans running at high RPM's and making a lot of noise. Heat rises so try to vent from the top.

2: You have a bad thermal paste application between the GPU and it's heat sync. This can be remedied by removing the heat sink, cleaning it (I use acetone but if you're not familiar with computer components just stop lol) re-applying paste AS5 (arctic silver 5) is good and re-installing the heat sync.

Take your side panel off and set up an external fan to blow fresh air into the case directly.

See how your temp's are, if they're the same it's probably a TP (thermal paste) issue, but if they're lower it's definitely airflow.

3. Or driver issues.

4. Or PSU issues (a GPU not getting enough power would cause the fans to not run properly which in turn would cause over heating)

5. Or a Virus set to slow the fan ratings which would not allow proper cooling to the GPU.

To name a few. It could be a number of things. he he.

Another thing I did not think of before was your PSU. You say you only have a 450W supply which is fine for a standard PC. The 9800GT you listed has a Minimum PSU Requirment of 450W though. Maybe it is not getting the full power needed. This would cause the fans to not work properly and would therefore make the card run too hot.

I'm going to vote the PSU is too weak. Double and triple check to make sure you don't need a stronger one.

3 people on this forum know what thermal paste is. While I can appreciate your knowledge it needs to be kept "simple."

Kids will be breaking their graphics cards left and right with butter knives. lol.

airflow will help a couple degrees, but only if you turn on the air conditioner.

I have to have my house at 64 degrees in order to maintain a 4.8Ghz benchmark with my chip. Ambient tempreture matters a lot. with or without water cooling.

I use MSI Afterburner to run a custom cooling profile as with default settings the fan never goes above ~40% speed regardless of heat. It doesn't quite go to 100+ degrees for me, but this way I can keep it around 80. The noise is rather magnificent, but I use noise-cancelling head-phones.

Obviously, this is not normal. What kind of fan do you have on it? I had this problem and I had to completely dismantle the card to get into the cooling pipes (not sure what they're called). Mine had half an inch of compacted dust blocking the pipes. Check to make sure that everything is clear.

-edit-

I have the same card as you. Who's the manufacturer of your card though? They all have different fans.

im leaning towards this i think

i am no amateur with pc's . however i have never disassembled a graphics card. im very familiar with removing heat sinks and applying thermal paste on cpu's however, so ill just do the same thing here with the card.

thanks for the info.

If you're running Windows 7: Try running the game in Compatablity Mode for "Windows XP SP3"

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/316-compatibility-mode.html

For some recondite reason...it will offload more "work" on to the CPU, lowering your GPU usage and hopefully temperatures. Friend cut the load on his 560Ti by 30% doing this and temperatures by about 15-20C.

Otherwise, compressed air, clean that bastard out. If there's not already case fans providing better airflow, get that sorted out. Realistically though the game is going to punish that card, I'd expect to see it baking even under normal operation in TOR.

Edited by TradewindNQ

replace that card. its 5 generations behind. I'm kinda surprised it didn't catch fire. They will be releasing the 6 series of Nvidia in Feb I heard.

eventually im just going to replace the entire system. the mobo is old and theres really no point in wasting money trying to max it out.

regardless this card performs pretty good for how old it is surprisingly . but yes you are correct in your thinking overall for an optimal scenario.

didn't even read your post. I have to call shennanigens on this. there is no way in hell that it reached 106 celsius. maybe 106f which is around 36c but not 106c. nice try though.

Ummm nope. A full bag of no actually. He he. 106c is considered overload for a GPU. 70 C is considered at load for most GPUs, with 90 C for high end cards. 106 C is not too far fetched. Sorry man but you are mistaken.

That is well beyond that GPUs thermal limit (limit is 105c). Even under 100% stress that video card should be under 80c however.

Almost sounds like the fan on it died or it is very dirty. If you have it OC also restore to stock speed.

As another person noted get afterburner. It has far better fan control. Like with the game my ATI 5970 runs 87c without afterburner and only 68c with it controlling the fan.

Edited by Romiz

i'm amazed you can even play with the 9800. your computer is telling you that it needs a long rest, as in a complete overall.

it plays quite well considering. shocking i know

aside from the heat which i think i will resolve by re applying therm paste to the gpu . its old i dont even want to know what it looks like inside.

BOUT TO FIND OUT!

yes i use arctic silver 5 paste. its teh shizz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.