Mako or Gault for Arsenal Merc?

worldsapartmm

Currently my BH is a lvl 28 Arsenal Merc. I just recently got Gault as a companion. I put some decent effort into gearing him up and proceeded to tear shiz up in PVE content. As a DPS companion, Gault seems pretty good.

However, unless I specifically direct him to attack mobs before I do, it seems he doesn't really jump into the fray until a mob attacks me. This causes a lot of potential DPS to go wasted.

Also... I'm a DPS player and now I have a... DPS companion.

So I'm having my doubts about Gault.

Mako, on the other hand, is always healing me and when she's geared up well does a good job of that.

I respect that the game design is such that you get certain companions at certain times for a reason, but I'm having a hard time seeing why I should use Gault when it seemed Mako was doing well.

Can a well-geared Mako handle the upcoming content on Alderaan and beyond? Is Gault better for chewing through mobs?

I'm leaning towards leaving Gault on the ship and keeping Mako, but I want to get some advice from anyone who's leveled past 28 as an Arsenal Merc and what companion you used and why. Your experience and thoughts are much appreciated.

P.S. - I have no problem with Mako as far as story choices and affection go, because I'm playing my BH as a light-sider.

Best way is to try it yourself couple of fights and see the results. I tried and for my arsenal merc Mako was way better then Gault or Torian. Without Mako I lose too much time healing myself after fights, and also risk dying way too much. Just get her orange equipment and upgrade it, she heals better than most players do : -)

You have to remember you share companions with other specs. Gault is very useful for healing specced Mercs who have little need for Mako's healing. I used Mako on and off until I got Blizz around level 40, so I don't think you'll have any trouble if you want to continue on with Mako.

You have to remember you share companions with other specs. Gault is very useful for healing specced Mercs who have little need for Mako's healing. I used Mako on and off until I got Blizz around level 40, so I don't think you'll have any trouble if you want to continue on with Mako.

I'm Arsenal not Bodyguard, but thanks.

Best way is to try it yourself couple of fights and see the results. I tried and for my arsenal merc Mako was way better then Gault or Torian. Without Mako I lose too much time healing myself after fights, and also risk dying way too much. Just get her orange equipment and upgrade it, she heals better than most players do : -)

Thanks, that's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about. I will definitely give 'em both a fair shot. At least they both wear the same kind of gear so I don't have to buy tons of gear for 'em.

I leveled up to 50 using a hybrid bodyguard/Arsenal spec. I found it was more useful for me to dps and have mako keep me healthy.

Once I got to 50 I respec'd to a heavy bodyguard spec for FP's and OP's. Then I found it more useful to have bliz tank stuff for me while I keep him alive and I'll dps and occasionally send a heal or 2 to bliz.

I'm Arsenal not Bodyguard, but thanks.

And that was his point. Your DPS, like me, we have less need for a DPS/Tank companion as opposed to someone who is specced more for a healing/support build. We on the other hand benefit more from a healer type because we can win our fights through damage output.

I played Arsenal Merc all during beta, Mako by far was the overall most useful companion for my playstyle, your's may vary though.

Edited by HopeSlayer

I switched to healing spec for a while at lvl 30 and was using Gault. I don't think I had him geared up enough though as it seemed like it took FOREVER to take down mobs. I changed back to Arsenal/Pyro (still can't decide which i like better...) and burn through them much quicker. So in short, in my exp, Gault is good if you're going healing spec and need practice healing people other than yourself. If you go DPS spec, stick with Mako. She's a heck of a healer and you'll just burn through questing faster.

And that was his point. Your DPS, like me, we have less need for a DPS/Tank companion as opposed to someone who is specced more for a healing/support build. We on the other hand benefit more from a healer type because we can win our fights through damage output.

I played Arsenal Merc all during beta, Mako by far was the overall most useful companion for my playstyle, your's may vary though.

My apologies, I misunderstood your point: I thought you were saying you were specced for healing and didn't need Mako. :)

I played as arsenal and pyro for a while. In both cases I like to use Gault and we would tear stuff up. Yes, we had to use the out of combat heal/lose heat after most fights, but its only a few seconds, and we ended fights really fast, so the overall kill rate was faster. I brought Mako out mostly for Elites or other hard fights.

Both Mako and Gault use the mostly the same gear with only the weapons that you need to keep up to date for both. Its more a matter of play style and how comfortable you are with each as to which you will use. These two and Blizz are your best companions due having upgradeable weapons.