Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Kira Carsen - Companion story bug?

Blev

I said it before...if I had just re-rolled then i would be 50 by now.

And now I think I'm going to do something just like that...well something like that. Keep my level 40 knight, but make a new one with the same name just spelled differently.

I have split the time I've waited between three characters, all 20+, as well as side quests on my main Knight. The Vanguard I made is now at the same place in his story as my Knight, right before the end of Act 1. It was a welcome distraction from the annoyance of this issue but my heart is in the Knight class and I am really tired of waiting for something that has been reported for months with little recognition as a result of it. For God's sake the only progress they took in fixing it came from a discovery by a member of the community!

All i can say is that this whole experience has been a black mark on this game's launch for me.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finish Act 1.

That icon on the companion portrait will randomly show up even though they don't have a conversation. That is a bug. The sure way to find out is to just right click on your companion and if they say they want to talk then...they do.

Just to confirm. This actually was the case for me. I just finished Act 1 and suddenly Kira just kept rabbiting on.

It is (allegedly) fixed for anyone that hasn't done the quest yet. To be completely safe you can avoid using the Dark Side/Flirt option on the mission "The Defector."

On another note, I've been a diehard Bioware fanboy for as long as I can remember, but this is passing into the realm of the utterly pathetic.

Oh, come on, this is par for the course with Bioware. NWN was the last title they released that wasn't riddled with major, usually plot related, bugs.

How to piss off your customers.

Step 1- Get informed of a major story bug in beta and ignore it.

Step 2- Ignore your customers for weeks.

Step 3- Claim that you're looking into it when you're really not.

Step 4- Ignore customers and bug again.

I applaud you BioWare. You have taken technical support and customer service into a whole new level of horrible.

Edited by Idunhavaname

How to piss off your customers.

Step 1- Get informed of a major story bug in beta and ignore it.

Step 2- Ignore your customers for weeks.

Step 3- Claim that you're looking into it when you're really not.

Step 4- Ignore customers and bug again.

I applaud you BioWare. You have taken technical support and customer service into a whole new level of horrible.

Okay, how the hell did you make that leap on Steps 2 and 3? They may have known that the bug existed in Beta, but that doesn't mean they'd tracked down what MADE the bug happen until recently. After all, I didn't even notice anything was off until after I'd gotten into Chapter 2, a good 10 levels after the bug initiated.

As for Step 3... where the hell is your proof, may I ask? Seriously, it'd be pretty dumb of ANY company to engage in such stupidity, and BW is probably one of the better ones out there - it's like the WoW forums all over again.

This is just downright pathetic. Bioware has known about this issue for MONTHS and they still haven't done anything about it. This bug was reported long before the launch yet they waited until this past week to fix the bug. Now theyre gonna ignore the people who have already been affected by the bug? Completely PATHETIC. By far the worst customer service i have EVER seen for just about anything (and believe me ive had some serious customer service issues before). If their lack of communication and priority for this issue is due to the holidays then they shouldn't have released the game when they wouldn't have time to deal with its issues. Edited by Roarrk

Okay, how the hell did you make that leap on Steps 2 and 3? They may have known that the bug existed in Beta, but that doesn't mean they'd tracked down what MADE the bug happen until recently. After all, I didn't even notice anything was off until after I'd gotten into Chapter 2, a good 10 levels after the bug initiated.

As for Step 3... where the hell is your proof, may I ask? Seriously, it'd be pretty dumb of ANY company to engage in such stupidity, and BW is probably one of the better ones out there - it's like the WoW forums all over again.

Step 2 proof: This bug has been known since BETA, thats right BETA. They didn't do anythig to fix it thus ignoring the bug.

Step 3: We did not recieve any response from dev till several days AFTER launch claiming that it would only take "several" days when in truth it has been weeks (or months depending on when you want to start counting).

BioWare did NOTHING to communicate with anyone or even provide an estimated ETA and since everyone assumed it would only take days, they stoped playing their JK instead of rerolling. Now it has been almost 2 weeks since launch and those who paused couldve just rerolled and be at the same point but instead we are forced to even wait some more.

I have seen FREE TO PLAY GAMES with better support than BioWare. I knew BioWare technical support team is bad from Mass Effect but this is just ridicilous.

Oh here is the best part. You try talking to someone from BioWare? you get a big droids middle finger. At least you get to talk to an actual human in Blizzard (company I despise btw).

Edited by Idunhavaname

I'd encourage you all to post on this thread. Being the PTS forum, maybe developers are actually reading it.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=108694

I know, I know, one can hope. :rolleyes:

Also, mentioning that the lack of a Kira Carsen fix in the 1.02 patch notes is a deal breaker for you in this thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=108599 may be useful as well.

Edited by Abriael

I'd encourage you all to post on this thread. Being the PTS forum, maybe developers are actually reading it.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=108694

I know, I know, one can hope. :rolleyes:

Also, mentioning that the lack of a Kira Carsen fix in the 1.02 patch notes is a deal breaker for you in this thread http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=108599 may be useful as well.

Well, I'm not sure if opening more threads will help, but I'm hoping for a fix soon. Instead of rerolling, I think I'll do all the other quests, except the Main Story... Don't want to do the Main Questline if there's some Kira stuff in it, that's depending on romancing her... Not sure if it is, but not taking any chances.

Well, I'm not sure if opening more threads will help, but I'm hoping for a fix soon. Instead of rerolling, I think I'll do all the other quests, except the Main Story... Don't want to do the Main Questline if there's some Kira stuff in it, that's depending on romancing her... Not sure if it is, but not taking any chances.

Those threads are already open. They aren't new.

We shouldn't be the ones to avoid playing prominent features on our chosen classes, they should be the ones telling us when we'll be able to play them.

It has been confirmed that dialogue changes depending on whether you are in a romance with her or not.

Edited by SuperSair

Current situation with Kira is a total disaster. And somehow, i got a bad feeling that BW will ignore this issue forever(New Chars wont get infected anyway, so who cares?), until all who were infected with this bug will re-roll or will abandon JK and play other class. I want to be wrong about that, but their strange and empty answer along with new patch that does nothing for Kira made me think about that in a dark light.

I was feeling exactly the same since I saw what the bug fix was in the last patch... In two weeks, i guess most of the players will have rerolled a JK or some other class; anyway they'll keep playing since they payed at least for a month. There will be less and less bug victims/people complaining, and when/if they'll finally fix it nobody will care anymore cause they passed on another class or rerolled :(

Step 2 proof: This bug has been known since BETA, thats right BETA. They didn't do anythig to fix it thus ignoring the bug.

Step 3: We did not recieve any response from dev till several days AFTER launch claiming that it would only take "several" days when in truth it has been weeks (or months depending on when you want to start counting).

BioWare did NOTHING to communicate with anyone or even provide an estimated ETA and since everyone assumed it would only take days, they stoped playing their JK instead of rerolling. Now it has been almost 2 weeks since launch and those who paused couldve just rerolled and be at the same point but instead we are forced to even wait some more.

I have seen FREE TO PLAY GAMES with better support than BioWare. I knew BioWare technical support team is bad from Mass Effect but this is just ridicilous.

Oh here is the best part. You try talking to someone from BioWare? you get a big droids middle finger. At least you get to talk to an actual human in Blizzard (company I despise btw).

I say again - with the Beta one, they did not know where the bug originated - it was only recently that they figured out that "Oh, it's from the Darkside flirt just after the class quest involving her!" Knowing ABOUT a bug and knowing where to go to FIX the bug are two entirely different things.

As for providing an ETA - hard to do that when you have no means of making that estimate, right? At this stage, it would be blind guess-work as to putting out a date, and as bad as the attitude is now, that'd fan the flames higher if the date came and went without a fix.

As for your complaints regarding the droids... you DO realize that that's just a flavor for the game, right? Granted, some of the responses you get when offline are pretty clearly automated ones (or at least following a laid-out format), but I've talked to the CS droids during the Beta about issues I've been having - they're people role-playing as Droids. Kind of a significant difference there.

This issue sucks, but those of you crying up a storm about how unconscionable this is are just pathetic. The companion story SIDE quests are like 1% of this game. I particularly interesting part of the game, but tiny nonetheless. Has no effect on the rest of your class story. Move on with the rest of the game and you can finish the handful of tiny instanced quests that you get from companions whenever they fix it.

TLDR: ITT a bunch of pimply-faced nerds cry about their character not being able to bang out some NPC and that's somehow a major portion of the game for them.

Nice try troll, I play with my gf. Its not about getting virtual poon but like so many people mentioned it tarnishes the experience.

So if i understand everything

toons created at launch day or before (pre release) that chose to DS option kira after the astroid incident and then again after tython council meeting = bug

new toons created now that chose the same options DS after astroid/council meeting = non bugged and can continue to flirt?

OR

if I created a new knight i would have to support my padawan (non darkside) untill after the council meeting with the intercom?

I was feeling exactly the same since I saw what the bug fix was in the last patch... In two weeks, i guess most of the players will have rerolled a JK or some other class; anyway they'll keep playing since they payed at least for a month. There will be less and less bug victims/people complaining, and when/if they'll finally fix it nobody will care anymore cause they passed on another class or rerolled :(

I just rolled up an IA while waiting this bug out - just hit Alderaan with him last night, so I've got a while to go yet with him. I'm still miffed over the fact that I "can't" play my JK, but I can still enjoy other aspects of the game while I wait for a fix to get put out.

So if i understand everything

toons created at launch day or before (pre release) that chose to DS option kira after the astroid incident and then again after tython council meeting = bug

new toons created now that chose the same options DS after astroid/council meeting = non bugged and can continue to flirt?

OR

if I created a new knight i would have to support my padawan (non darkside) untill after the council meeting with the intercom?

The former is correct - they closed the opening that would bug you out, it's just those that are currently affected by it (including myself) hoping for something a bit more concrete than "we're working on it".

I say again - with the Beta one, they did not know where the bug originated - it was only recently that they figured out that "Oh, it's from the Darkside flirt just after the class quest involving her!" Knowing ABOUT a bug and knowing where to go to FIX the bug are two entirely different things.

As for providing an ETA - hard to do that when you have no means of making that estimate, right? At this stage, it would be blind guess-work as to putting out a date, and as bad as the attitude is now, that'd fan the flames higher if the date came and went without a fix.

When you have no means to provide an ETA for a gmebreaking or near gamebreaking issue that's affecting thousands of paying customers, you provide means to work around the issue for those people, like prompting them to appeal for the quest to be reset.

No reassuring communication + no solution + no workarounds provided = very, very bad customer support, no matter how much you repeat weak arguments (of which you really know nothing yourself) to defend it.

Edited by Abriael

As for your complaints regarding the droids... you DO realize that that's just a flavor for the game, right? Granted, some of the responses you get when offline are pretty clearly automated ones (or at least following a laid-out format), but I've talked to the CS droids during the Beta about issues I've been having - they're people role-playing as Droids. Kind of a significant difference there.

Ive actually been getting copy and paste messages (even tickets that does not concern Kira) even though the ticket is totally irrelevant to submmiting a bug.

BioWare actually did make an ETA (sort of) of several days when it has been WEEKS. All we need from BioWare is a simple update on the situation. Saying "were still looking into it" is not enough. We need to know if it will take another 2 weeks for the next fix to come out so we can decide to reroll or not. Even after their first ETA is wrong, they can still update it,make a second ETA and apologize.

Again, BioWare failed to update us in regular basis and pissed alot of customers off who couldve rerolled and be at the same point as their current JK.

Edited by Idunhavaname

So let me get this right, Kira IS bugged for people who HAVE done the quest BEFORE the patch, and it is now NOT bugs for people who HAVEN't done it yet yes? Cause all I'm reading is "Oh it's bugged, it's bugged fix it." "It sucks that I still can't talk to her after the patch."

Point being, has anyone really tried the story with Kira AS OF NOW? And if so, what's the deal with it?

So let me get this right, Kira IS bugged for people who HAVE done the quest BEFORE the patch, and it is now NOT bugs for people who HAVEN't done it yet yes? Cause all I'm reading is "Oh it's bugged, it's bugged fix it." "It sucks that I still can't talk to her after the patch."

Point being, has anyone really tried the story with Kira AS OF NOW? And if so, what's the deal with it?

It's fixed for new players. Players who chose DS flirt in "The Defector" prior to last patch are still screwd.

Edited by Idunhavaname