Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Stop the ball from being thrown from the pit to the goal line in Huttball!

Miffy

Going down to the pit should be a punishment and yet the easiest, hardest to stop and a tactic that feels like a cheat is dropping down into the pit and throwing at a stealther on the goal line, who obviously has just come out of stealth.

Football has the off side rule to stop this from happening and Huttball just needs to stop passing from the pit to the goal line.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think movement based skills should be disabled if you have the ball. You shouldn't be able to force leap, get force pulled by sage/sorcs. etc... Movement of the ball should be only walking, or passing. This force leap to teammate BS needs to stop.

I think movement based skills should be disabled if you have the ball. You shouldn't be able to force leap, get force pulled by sage/sorcs. etc... Movement of the ball should be only walking, or passing. This force leap to teammate BS needs to stop.

wow, you really want to suck the fun out of huttball dont you :D

...whiner, if you see someone with the ball in the pit dont stand at the edge of it...go down into the pit so they can't charge you and score. Huttball is meant to have you pass the ball and use all your skills to score. So according to you we shouldnt be able to charge with the ball...better yet let's remove all attack skills and just play a good game of american football Edited by aleiro

so you mean only tanks should carry balls.

Yeah ... okay :rolleyes:

Edited by Orangerascal

...whiner, if you see someone with the ball in the pit dont stand at the edge of it...go down into the pit so they can't charge you and score. Huttball is meant to have you pass the ball and use all your skills to score. So according to you we shouldnt be able to charge with the ball...better yet let's remove all attack skills and just play a good game of american football

Actually, the OP's suggestion would lead to MORE attacking and make the game LESS like American Football, if you would have read it carefully.

Let's face it...huttball isn't really PvP, it's more of a gimmicky combination of a little bit of PvP, a little bit of American Football, and a little bit of...hmm...I'm not really sure what else. I find it hard to take the game seriously. Which isn't to say it's not fun--I enjoy playing it. But I would never consider myself a serious or good PvPer because I was good at Huttball. (Now that I think about it, nor would I consider myself a bad PvPer if I was bad at Huttball.)

If I'm in the mood for good, serious PvP and I queue up for a WZ, I always hope to get Alderaan or Voidstar. If I am in the mood to just screw around and goof off and have a little fun, I hope to get Huttball.

Edited by MithrilSoul

Going down to the pit should be a punishment and yet the easiest, hardest to stop and a tactic that feels like a cheat is dropping down into the pit and throwing at a stealther on the goal line, who obviously has just come out of stealth.

Football has the off side rule to stop this from happening and Huttball just needs to stop passing from the pit to the goal line.

By "football" I'm assuming you don't mean American Football (which Huttball is similar to). In Soccer, a player on offense may not stand behind the defense and wait for a pass as this is called "offsides". In American Football, the whole point of the Wide Receiver is to get behind the defense and receive the pass.

Let's face it...huttball isn't really PvP, it's more of a gimmicky combination of a little bit of PvP, a little bit of American Football, and a little bit of...hmm...I'm not really sure what else.

Huttball is a team's true test of coordination and teamwork. I would argue that this is the best kind of pvp. Other pvp maps like VS, the winner can be determined by answering one question. Is you groups net dps better than theirs?

At least with huttball, skill is a bigger determinant to winning than gear.

Remember PVP is player vs player not dps vs dps.

Edited by Orangerascal

I happen to agree, that the deadzone should be a touch deeper. At least charges to the top should be impossible unless a huge error happens. The only reason is, that you can't know what class is carrying the ball so that charge zones you out of half your endzone which is a bit lame.

The other time it is visible without being in charge range that you need to stay out of it so I have no problem if it stays there.

All you have to do now is get the ball, drop into the pit and throw to someone at the goal line. This is my problem, it's really lame and feels more like a cheat as the pit is meant to be a punishment for falling off. It looks like how the map was design you'd have to run out onto the sides and pass to the cat walk or run round. However now you can run straight to the pit, ignore the catwalks and just pass, get friendly pulled or even force leap out of it. The way you have to do some of these things by jumping to try and get line of sight, it just doesn't feel like this is how the map was designed.

I'm not crying about losing or anything like that, I don't care if I win or lose, just playing to have fun. I just think it needs looking at as it feels cheap...

Edited by Miffy

I actually agree with the OP to a fault.

Passing from the pit to the goal line feels cheap-- as does passing to anyone on a different elevation. 2 people on vent, one with stealth-- thats all it takes to turn a fun game of pugs into a lopsided match.

That said-- I also feel that if youre going to implement a change like this you would also have to cut range's distance of attack down by a great deal when targeting a player at a different elevation as well as to balance it out.

I really think that it would make the match more fun. Or they could leave it as it is. I enjoy it now as well.

"Going down to the pit.."

Yea, because people go down there by their own

Well yes, actually they do. The easiest and fastest way to score is to have a jugg/guardian grab the ball and simply walk into the pit. He then either jumps to a friendly or enemy player near the goal line or passes it to someone already waiting there. Premades do this all the time.

well I am BH MERC DPS and I play D, I kill anyone on my teams side of the spawn site, with nobody to pass to they are fubar... if i dont kill them i knock the recievers into the pit so they are useless...

and always have my backup knockback ready for when they zip up to me to knock them back off the edge.

and people say BH has no skillset for pvp *sigh*

its the players that need to learn to play with what they have.

as far as not throwing to the goal line, that is just stupid, can you imagine football with no inzone passing?

roflol

fine as is imo

All you have to do now is get the ball, drop into the pit and throw to someone at the goal line. This is my problem, it's really lame and feels more like a cheat as the pit is meant to be a punishment for falling off. It looks like how the map was design you'd have to run out onto the sides and pass to the cat walk or run round. However now you can run straight to the pit, ignore the catwalks and just pass, get friendly pulled or even force leap out of it. The way you have to do some of these things by jumping to try and get line of sight, it just doesn't feel like this is how the map was designed.

I'm not crying about losing or anything like that, I don't care if I win or lose, just playing to have fun. I just think it needs looking at as it feels cheap...

If a rule is implemented that you cannot throw from the pit an upto a friendly on the edge then you will remove any possibility to win. The only tactic to use would be knock the ballcarrier into the pit whenever he is moving over it, when the ball is over the catwalks second time, repeat until game ends. The whole problem can easy be fixed by people playing properly and not chasing after the ballcarrier like clueless idiots. Whenever I am in that area and see an enemy stand near the ledge on our side I will always try to knock him down to make sure he cannot get the ball. It's really simple to avoid the problem, but it requires taking the head out of the *** and planning ahead.

The usual thing for people to do however is to follow the ball carrier. I have even seen a ball carrier throw the ball into the pit to a friendly there all the ones who fought him jumps down and then the person in the pit passes the ball back so original ball carrier can score. However majority of times I see people run after ball carrier like there was no tomorrow leaving people alone and able to catch the ball if the carrier chooses to pass.

If only you weren't invulnerable while in the endzone. . . owait you aren't. If you are letting people camp in your endzone you have other problems. If you are dumb enough to sit on the ledge and try to range me down, guess what I am going to charge you.

To everyone who is saying that you shouldn't be able to pass to another elevation or you should have to use the catwalks, you are crazy. All it would take is two characters with knockback and bam you can never ever score.

I love Huttball, it's the most skill/teamwork dependant of the warzones.

I don't mind the throw from the pit really...

The worst is the pull back into your opponents rez area for the insta kill. I'm not a fan of players being able to kill the other side while being untouchable themselves.

---

One thing I've thought may be interesting however, is allowing the ball to be thrown regardlless of CC. This could open up some really aggressive and interesting play. I'm not sure if it'd actually be better, but it would make for an interesting change.

It is a little too easy, and cheesy to be able to just toss it up to a sealther waiting there. It's pretty much impossible to stop since you have no idea where there "might" be a stealther.

But so is dropping down into the pit with a couple healers and waiting for a stupid ranged DPS to poke their head over the edge and leap up and score instantly.

There's a lot of silly tactics in Huttball. But I'm sure once rated warzones come out we'll see all these people who think these "silly" tactics are fine will come screaming back to the forums once they get destroyed by teams using them efficiently.

Pretty sure every strategy is going to involve dropping into the enemy pit first.

If only you weren't invulnerable while in the endzone. . . owait you aren't. If you are letting people camp in your endzone you have other problems. If you are dumb enough to sit on the ledge and try to range me down, guess what I am going to charge you.

To everyone who is saying that you shouldn't be able to pass to another elevation or you should have to use the catwalks, you are crazy. All it would take is two characters with knockback and bam you can never ever score.

OR, according to the very same explanation you just gave to counter the strategy YOU are defending.....all you need is some team support to clear the catwalk before you try to cross. The enemies aren't going to want to waste their knockback clearing enemies that aren't the ball carrier, and if they do.....well you're free to get across.

The worst is the pull back into your opponents rez area for the insta kill. I'm not a fan of players being able to kill the other side while being untouchable themselves.

Next time pass em the ball :) If you pass someone the ball while they are up there, it is insta gib. If you catch the ball before it hits the ground it is a goal also.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.