Why do Jedi always draw their sabers first?

LrdStryfe

Why is it always the Jedi who ignite their sabers first in duels vs sith? I would think that a Jedi would try to find any diplomatic solution, and only use their sabers once they were threatened by one first.

Think of all of the instances in the movies where we see Jedi igniting their sabers first.

-Anakin & Obi-Wan vs Dooku (1)

-Anakin & Obi-Wan vs Dooku (2)

-Kenobi vs Grevious

-Windu & Masters vs Sidious

-Obi-Wan vs Anakin (Obi-Wan ignited first, even though in the book Anakin did)

-Yoda vs Sidious

-Luke vs Vader (1)

-Luke vs Vader (2)

You would think that it would be the Sith that drew first. Anyone know why this is?

Why is it always the Jedi who ignite their sabers first in duels vs sith? I would think that a Jedi would try to find any diplomatic solution, and only use their sabers once they were threatened by one first.

Think of all of the instances in the movies where we see Jedi igniting their sabers first.

-Anakin & Obi-Wan vs Dooku (1)

-Anakin & Obi-Wan vs Dooku (2)

-Kenobi vs Grevious

-Windu & Masters vs Sidious

-Obi-Wan vs Anakin (Obi-Wan ignited first, even though in the book Anakin did)

-Yoda vs Sidious

-Luke vs Vader (1)

-Luke vs Vader (2)

You would think that it would be the Sith that drew first. Anyone know why this is?

I think it has to do with the potential barrage of force lightning. You can block it with a saber but if you wait for the sith to strike first you risk being caught by surprise.

I think it has to do with the potential barrage of force lightning. You can block it with a saber but if you wait for the sith to strike first you risk being caught by surprise.

Lightning can be absorbed. Yoda did this in his fight with Palpy.

Because Jedi are hypocrites.

This sums it up perfectly

"At least the Sith are honest about what they're killing for. The Jedi are pacifists... except in times of war. They're teachers... except when it comes to telling their students the truth. And when they save you, it's only so you can suffer more."

-Atton Rand

I always thought that sith were like the one weakness of jedi, they just hate sith and they really want to kill them. All their training in emotional restraint is coupled by stories of how evil and powerful sith are, so it's kind of like a fatal flaw which is ultimately exploited by Palpatine on numerous occasions. Edited by areto

Darth Maul vs Obi-wan & Qui-Gon (episode 1)

Maul draws his lightsaber first and ignites it first aswell. Then Followed by Obi-wan and Qui-gon.

Yoda vs Dooku (episode 2)

Ok Dooku probably had his drawn and ignited because he was already fighting before Yoda walked in. But Yoda didnt have his at the ready while knowing what was going on in the room.

Vader vs Obi-wan (episode 4)

Vader has his lightsaber out and already ignited before he even sees Obi-wan.

So Jedi don't ALWAYS draw their sabers first.

Myth........BUSTED !!!

Darth Maul vs Obi-wan & Qui-Gon (episode 1)

Maul draws his lightsaber first and ignites it first aswell. Then Followed by Obi-wan and Qui-gon.

Yoda vs Dooku (episode 2)

Ok Dooku probably had his drawn and ignited because he was already fighting before Yoda walked in. But Yoda didnt have his at the ready while knowing what was going on in the room.

Vader vs Obi-wan (episode 4)

Vader has his lightsaber out and already ignited before he even sees Obi-wan.

So Jedi don't ALWAYS draw their sabers first.

Myth........BUSTED !!!

Darth Maul pulled his lightsaber first when just fighting Qui gon, also the jedi were both walking up on darth maul with sabers drawn but not ignited.

Your second explains its self

However when vader had is LS out first in ep.4 he was waiting for obi wan as laying a trap for him one could say. Obi while knew vader was on the Death star he did not know that vader was in that room if had, who knows he might of had his out then. So one can not say that the myth is busted. however I wouldnt discount a reason as to why the Jedi always draw first.

"At least the Sith are honest about what they're killing for. The Jedi are pacifists... except in times of war. They're teachers... except when it comes to telling their students the truth. And when they save you, it's only so you can suffer more."

-Atton Rand

This.

Darth Maul pulled his lightsaber first when just fighting Qui gon, also the jedi were both walking up on darth maul with sabers drawn but not ignited.

Dont really the understand the first part. Are you referring to the fight on Tatooine?

Maul vs Qui-gon (on tatooine)

That one is to close to call. It seems like they both ignite their lightsabers at the same time.

Darth Maul vs Obi-wan & Qui-qon

In this video you can clearly see Qui-gon and Obi-wan taking their lightsabers of their belts AFTER Darth Maul ignited his lightsaber. They didnt have them out while walking towards Darth Maul.

Here's a funny Idea: The Editor and whoever scripted the scenes felt like the audience would be drawn into the intensity of the fight.

Exactly. Don't attribute too much deep meaning into trivia unless the lore creators specifically address it somewhere. Chances are these are simply scripting and cinematic decisions made by the director. As a career military person I cannot tell you how many times I've spotted technical errors in films dealing with military matters that are simply inexcusable and should have been easily caught and fixed by even an incompetent but actually awake military advisor to the set. If film makers cannot get real life right how can you expect them to get made up lore correct 100% of the time, especially when they will just wave the "creative license" card if called on about it.

Films are the worst source of lore ... ever. Real life or Fantasy. Let's face it - film makers lie for a living. It's what they do. They do it well.

Yes I was talking about the fight on TAT, my fault for not stating so, however when there fighting maul on naboo a scene before dont they have there LS out when they first see Maul. It has been a while since I have watch EP.1 so my memory isnt the best on this film but I could have sworn that they had there light sabers out when walking up to him. but Maul had his ignited first. Will watch this weekend.

Exactly. Don't attribute too much deep meaning into trivia unless the lore creators specifically address it somewhere. Chances are these are simply scripting and cinematic decisions made by the director. As a career military person I cannot tell you how many times I've spotted technical errors in films dealing with military matters that are simply inexcusable and should have been easily caught and fixed by even an incompetent but actually awake military advisor to the set. If film makers cannot get real life right how can you expect them to get made up lore correct 100% of the time, especially when they will just wave the "creative license" card if called on about it.

Films are the worst source of lore ... ever. Real life or Fantasy. Let's face it - film makers lie for a living. It's what they do. They do it well.

Exactly, don't point out useless stuff like Han shot first or anything like that because let's face it: George and his staff don't care.

Sure it's really cute and funny that Han did something goofey, but is it ever going to be changed and if doesn't would your life suffer that much more trauma?

This sums it up perfectly

-Atton Rand

I wish people wouldn't quote that out of context. If you recall, Atton says this after being confronted about the fact that he was a torturer in the service of Revan. Atton doesn't really believe this, which is why you can persuade him to take up Jedi training.

I wish people wouldn't quote that out of context. If you recall, Atton says this after being confronted about the fact that he was a torturer in the service of Revan. Atton doesn't really believe this, which is why you can persuade him to take up Jedi training.

Also you characters are affected by your actions, so essentially you can influence them to believe almost anything the game will let you.