The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Trandoshan (and other aliens) as a playable race.

Acidstrider

Rodian, Wookiee, and Nautolan get my vote.

:)

Trandoshan and Wookiee for the win! Just do what SWG did. Trandos can wear most armors except they can't wear boots because of their feet and claws. Wookiees can only wear unique wookiee armor. Problem solved. So what we won't be able to speak basic, but it will be sooo cool haha.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Language barrier is indeed a problem, and if it were implemented practically all of the Npc's would require new lines in the event they do encounter this species. As was stated in an earlier post, the fact Sith Pure Blood's on the republic not getting a reaction out of the NPC's is indeed disturbing. It just doesn't make sense.

The thing that's neat with the classes we have now is the culture they come from often doesn't influence us to make a certain choice based on background. Even Twi'leks come from vastly different cultures depending on the part of Ryloth (I think that's their home planet) they came from. Trandoshans for example, are a very war like race and users often would feel compelled to make aggressive decisions because of this. ToR was intended for the user to make decisions (from my perspective, at least. Others could argue this.) based on what they would actually do if they were really put in the particular situation.

For those reasons, I stand resolute that Trandoshans, at least, should not make an appearance. Sorry.

I'd love it if Bioware implemented Ithorian as a playable race. I don't know why, but I just love them :p They probably wouldn't be able to display most headpieces (kind of like the Miraluka), but that wouldn't bother me in the least. Like the OP, I wouldn't even mind if the sound files were in their original language; to be honest, I think that'd make them even more interesting :)

Also, I'm sure someone has mentioned this already (didn't read all the posts), but in the Q&A Bioware stated they'd be adding more races this year. While I'm pretty sure they'll only be adding the races closest to the existing models (like the Cathar, Evocii, etc.), I'm still holding out hope for the Ithorians.

...I'd make one ****** Ithorian Jedi Sage... Just sayin' :)

Trandoshans speak basic in clone wars cartoon. As seen in the ones Asohka is used as a prey for a big trandoshan hunt. I think one of the episode is called "jedi hunt" if you want to look for it. They just have some lizard voice and do weird stuff with their tongue while speaking. Some creepy thing like Britney Spear used to do when saying the word "love". Maybe she is a trandoshan.

Anyway, they don't speak basic ingame, but they can speak it. So we can guess a trandoshan character would speak basic, and thus the language problem would be removed.

So yeah, trandoshan can be used as a playable species, there is even several skin for them ingame, because of Qyzen mostly.

I would like to see species matter, new dialog and new options. But I would settle for new species with the same dialog as I think this is the best we will get.

Well if you are an "alien" on the Republic side you do get some different conversations with Imperials.

• 2 months later...
I am a big fan of the Trandoshan's, or any more alien races in general. Which is why one of my few problems with SWTOR is the lack of more alien races, outside of the Zabrak and Twi'lek.

As I discussed this with a friend, he said he did not think they'll ever be added, as they don't speak English, amongst some other reasons. So I decided to make a suggestion post, in the vague hope that it will make a difference.

I honestly wouldn't care if the Trandoshan's didn't speak English. Just use the already existing sound files and I'd be perfectly happy. I can easily just read the sub titles. And for people who don't like to read? Simply play one of the many English speaking races.

Trandoshan's are one of the more iconic, unique and interesting races in the game, and I'd happily pay extra to play as one, which is why it saddens me to see there is little to no sign of me ever getting to play one. they might consider for an expansion or something i hope we get them as a playable race please bioware let us be heard. and wookies vs transdoshan battle for power.and the transdoshans win

Ewok, Gungan, Hutt or Jawa.

Perhaps you have a race you'd like to see in the game? If so please say which one and why, and lets hope Bioware grant our wish.... By the way no one will think your clever if you say

I did not intend for this to drag this out as long as I did. I am not here to list of all the reasons why I think the Trandoshan's should be in the game, but rather to let my voice be heard.

• 4 months later...

Personaly i would love to play as a wequay or a trandoshan, as those a two are perfect for a bounty hunter like me.

Although i do see how the language would be a barrier, some people are to lazy to read subtitles. im fine with it but others may just feel subtitles unessesary.

Please do consider it bioware as it would make the game feel a bit newer. oh and add Kel Dorr :D

They don't in SWTOR, plus they're not near-humans, so BioWare couldn't add them.

Just because you haven't seen a Trandoshan speak basic in the game doesn't mean they can't, this just means they've yet to add one who can and seeing as there have been ones in Star Wars lore, it's a possibility. All Star Wars media is treated as a whole with of course a linear time structure.

Wookiees will never happen. GL is against there being tons of force user wookiees, and swtor is against non-basic speaking humanoids.

You are aware that they just recently introduced two new Jedi Wookiee characters?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ruhr

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Gungi

BioWare have still yet to ask for permission to introduce any Wookiee Jedi into the game.

Plus a playable Jedi Wookiee in the sense of how the game would operate would be non-canon.

Edited by Vitas

:( I wish they'd add Shistavanen but i don't know if they can speak English or not. Plus their gonna complain about gear not fitting which is already a problem for some already playable races like twi'lik. :csw_yoda: Approve Yoda would.

According to the book Ultimate Alien Anthology and The New Essential Guide to Alien Species, they can speak basic. This however has never been shown in any of the films, tv series, radio dramas or video games so it is possible they make speak with an accent rather than fluently.

According to the book Ultimate Alien Anthology and The New Essential Guide to Alien Species, they can speak basic. This however has never been shown in any of the films, tv series, radio dramas or video games so it is possible they make speak with an accent rather than fluently.

Never been shown in any of the TV series, radio dramas, or video games? Objection. Almost every member of the "famous members" list on the Trandoshan page on Wookieepedia care to disagree with you, including Bossk. And not all of said Basic-speaking members are from Star Wars: the Clone Wars, either.

BioWare also showed a Transdoshan (albeit just a head) speaking fluent basic with no accent during a tech demo of the game's lipsync system, which also included a Gammorrean and an Arcona. So yes, they can definitely do it, tech wise. The Trandoshan didn't even look all that strange doing it, either.

Never been shown in any of the TV series, radio dramas, or video games? Objection. Almost every member of the "famous members" list on the Trandoshan page on Wookieepedia care to disagree with you, including Bossk. And not all of said Basic-speaking members are from Star Wars: the Clone Wars, either.

BioWare also showed a Transdoshan (albeit just a head) speaking fluent basic with no accent during a tech demo of the game's lipsync system, which also included a Gammorrean and an Arcona. So yes, they can definitely do it, tech wise. The Trandoshan didn't even look all that strange doing it, either.

If you look at my post again, you'll see I was quoting LyulfLykaios in regards to the Shistavanen, not the Trandoshans. I know Trandoshans can speak basic and have seen them do.

Edited by Vitas

If you look at my post again, you'll see I was quoting LyulfLykaios in regards to the Shistavanen, not the Trandoshans. I know Trandoshans can speak basic and have seen them do.

Ah, pardon. I read all of your post, but missed that bit. My apologies. However, I do find it interesting that they used pretty-well the most alien-looking species in the game that they could find for the *English* tech demo for lipsynching, short of a Rakata or Esh-Ka.

Edited by Nichos_Ketra

• 9 months later...