Let's compare early WoW with early TOR

Leohat

M'kay people

SWTOR Planets =/= WoW zones

Sure you had 2 diffenert zones you could start in in Cata.... They could both fit inside some of the SWTOR Planets with plenty of room to spare.

Your story is linear, yes, but so are all stories for the most part. In WoW, the story is always the same, the difference is that no one is playing WoW for the story, so it doesn't seem as linear.

Sure, you got more zones to choose from in WoW at some points, but who cares about which zones you can go to when all you are trying to do is grind to max level? Most people only enjoy engame in WoW, but in SWTOR, most people are enjoying the 50 levels of content that this whole game is built around.

not true. i know several ppl who just plain like the leveling experience and for those ppl swtor lvling is painful bcz of how linear it. iwow lower lvl gets linear but dungeon finder helps a little bit but still sucks. its worse tho on swtor aside from stolyline quests you are literally doing the same quests over and over if your make an alt. if you dont plan on ever lvling an alt of the same faction to 50 than it can be quite enjoyable but if you are it can be painful the second time around. In the end i'd rather not even compare this game to wow but when ppl try to say this game is less linear than wow i have to step in

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M'kay people

SWTOR Planets =/= WoW zones

Sure you had 2 diffenert zones you could start in in Cata.... They could both fit inside some of the SWTOR Planets with plenty of room to spare.

Your story is linear, yes, but so are all stories for the most part. In WoW, the story is always the same, the difference is that no one is playing WoW for the story, so it doesn't seem as linear.

Sure, you got more zones to choose from in WoW at some points, but who cares about which zones you can go to when all you are trying to do is grind to max level? Most people only enjoy engame in WoW, but in SWTOR, most people are enjoying the 50 levels of content that this whole game is built around.

Planets = zones, but yeah. SWToRs are bigger. Here's the problem...

WoW utilized most every inch for a quest, SWToR has a LOT of empty space (Alderaan, i'm looking at you), it doesn't feel... right.

It feels like, I dunno... missing a soul? Heck, I went into Alderaan (can you tell i dislike this planet?) and just stood there listening to, nothing? Why is there NOTHING? No birds? The place is one of the most lush planets, it's BEAUTIFUL! But there's a soul missing. I don't hear the sounds of a nerf until i'm right up close to it... I want birds! I want the sound of a creek!

I can go to Elwynn forest (sorry, hate to use WoW as a comparison, but..) turn off music, and be perfectly fine listening to birds chirping. TOR does city areas nicely, constant sound of traffic, but their nature planets need work.

And THAT is the deciding factor. On MY story lines not a single choice that I've made effected me in the end. The people I chose to live or die haven't done ANYTHING For me.

Man, and linear questing has nothing to do with storyline. Just FYI.

doesnt matter really since it is the fact you are letting the person live or kill them for all we know bioware could extend our storyline where those parts might be important in the next chapter.

WoW questing has ZERO alternate outcome in quest.

if anybody dare say swtor storyline is more linear than WoW need to smack themselves silly because last i check i didnt have a choice in WoW to keep somebody alive or kill them or scare them away i wish i had the choice not to kill illidan......

yea pretty sure we are talkin about quest area options and leveling options

WoW completely revolutionized the genre at release.

Flight paths, quest based leveling, instances, in game mail. WoW didn't quite invent them all, but none of the other major released had any of them before.

WoW was a loot party far beyond what other games offered at the time. The sheer number of quests dwarfed the competition. WoW at release had 50x the number of quests EQ had and EQ had a 5 year head start.

Instances were properly used. Not this "spawn new zone_01" crap we have now because of too many people. Instances solved the Vox/Naggy issue of world spawn camping.

The added rest exp. The skill trees were far more involved then any other mainstream MMO at the time. The release was the best release I had seen of any major MMO in terms of stability at the time (something that was usually hit and miss for major releases).

I don't care for WoW anymore. But it was completely groundbreaking what they did back then. They basically broke the genre because nothing else is as good or polished as it.

EverQuest 2 had all these at launch and was released a couple weeks before Wow, so I guess you could say that EQ2 invented them, not WoW.

yea pretty sure we are talkin about quest area options and leveling options

quest area options? last i check i could actually pick up quest on planets with out doing some long chain to open them.

as for leveling options for different planets well yeah not really a choice but still you are looking past at how fast you can level in this game if WoW had 1 zone to quest in it would be boring for the fact it takes a long time to level.

quest area options? last i check i could actually pick up quest on planets with out doing some long chain to open them.

as for leveling options for different planets well yeah not really a choice but still you are looking past at how fast you can level in this game if WoW had 1 zone to quest in it would be boring for the fact it takes a long time to level.

yea but lets say u hit lvl 24 and u have to go to another planet...can you choose the next planet you are goin to? no. and thats what we are talking about. hate to use wow as an example but have u noticed on wow how there are different zones with the same level ranges. thats the jist of what not on here.

Edited by Doomsaga

yea but lets say u hit lvl 24 and u have to go to another planet...can you choose the next planet you are goin to? no. and thats what we are talking about

Actually, you can go to any planet you choose. You just have a recommended one for your level.

In WoW, a lvl 20 CAN go to EPL, doesn't mean he should.

i would say they both did considering they released so close between each other

Agreed, I was just making the point that WoW is credited for inventing a lot of this stuff when it really didn't. It was just a natural progression on what was needed. There are a lot of items from EQ2 that were taken by WoW or released at the same time yet because most people saw it first in WoW they think they broke the mold.

yea but lets say u hit lvl 24 and u have to go to another planet...can you choose the next planet you are goin to? no. and thats what we are talking about

it is because due to class quest.... if they remove class quest which would be against bioware's philosophy and dont bring up WoW had class quest which in fact was stupid the only ones worth doing was the hunter paladin and warlock and even then there was only like 3 class quest on some classes.

it is because due to class quest.... if they remove class quest which would be against bioware's philosophy and dont bring up WoW had class quest which in fact was stupid the only ones worth doing was the hunter paladin and warlock and even then there was only like 3 class quest on some classes.

dont forget the terribly long totem quests! + Druid form quests.

all removed (thankfully tbh)

wow really? just wow at this comment.

^

Edited by mcfabulous

I am a SWTOR fanboy (I get called that because I enjoy the game), but I have no idea what you are saying....

dont forget the terribly long totem quests! + Druid form quests.

all removed (thankfully tbh)

^

ahhhhhh LOL i thought the dreanai was bad but nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo the orc water totem quest was sooooooooooo bad.

Actually, you can go to any planet you choose. You just have a recommended one for your level.

In WoW, a lvl 20 CAN go to EPL, doesn't mean he should.

Whoooosh.

I think he means once you hit lvl 25 you're GOING to Tatooine, no ifs and or maybes. You can't do alderaan, cause they'll squish you, you can't go back to nar shadda, cause the bonus series is higher than alderaan. So have fun in Tatooine!

The story is nice, but 2ed time around i'm noticing it goes stale, 'cept for class quests.

In WoW (since we like comparing to it) you can go to several zones at 25. Duskwood, Stone Talon, and Arathi Highlands... I never did the Horde quests, so. :p

I am a SWTOR fanboy (I get called that because I enjoy the game), but I have no idea what you are saying....

lol i am saying if people want more options to level in different planets then bioware would have to remove out class quest since it would be stupid to have a level 40 jedi questing on alderaan and some level 15 is questing there because his class quest told him to go there and they run into each other.

or you bioware could make planets for your class quest but guess what you will only see your class there and nobody else world pvp killer... or even so your mirror class is there you have no class variations in the area.

it is more like you can have 1 but not the other until a game has this ability to do this i see this as impossible.

Whoooosh.

I think he means once you hit lvl 25 you're GOING to Tatooine, no ifs and or maybes. You can't do alderaan, cause they'll squish you, you can't go back to nar shadda, cause the bonus series is higher than alderaan. So have fun in Tatooine!

The story is nice, but 2ed time around i'm noticing it goes stale, 'cept for class quests.

In WoW (since we like comparing to it) you can go to several zones at 25. Duskwood, Stone Talon, and Arathi Highlands... I never did the Horde quests, so. :p

This is my point. x level you go TO THIS PLANET. 4-5 levels later THIS PLANT. 2-3 later THIS PLANET. Not this planet OR this planet. THIS PLANET.