Did you come from WoW and have you gone back?

NoTTaShoT

Came from WoW, been playing it since vanilla times. After seeing the direction the game is going (My 10y old brother cleared dragonsoul like a month ago) I will never go back.

Sure this game has its flaws but hey I *********** love it and I love Star Wars, Im here to stay because it has great potential and I want to be a part of it. People that are saying they might come back after 6 months or whatever are the ones that stop MMO's from envolving, have FAITH and stop being so god awfull cheap.

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People that are saying they might come back after 6 months or whatever are the ones that stop MMO's from envolving, have FAITH and stop being so god awfull cheap.

This isn't really fair. Why should people continue to pay for a shoddy product in hopes that their issues will be addressed? That sir, doesn't make sense. Bioware had forever and a day to polish their game. They had a massive budget ect ect ect (I'm not going to go over this again. It's been done a zillion times).

Reality is they had years and years and years of examples to follow and not follow, and they chose to ignore the successes or failures of other MMOs. More power to you if you want to stay and play, but don't insult people for leaving over very valid reasons. We don't have to stay and pay for your game's progress.

WOW IS DEAD. i cant believe people still play that game. last time i loged in a year from now, my server was a ghost town and then i transferred servers and, wow was still a boring ghost town with ppl que'n for dungons to quickly lvl their toon to get to end game

Ahahahaha

I have heard that from people who played Vanguard soh when it first came out.

I have heard that from people who played age of connan when it first came out.

And I have heard that from people who played warhammer online when it first came out.

History does indeed repeat itself.

Reality is they had years and years and years of examples to follow and not follow, and they chose to ignore the successes or failures of other MMOs. More power to you if you want to stay and play, but don't insult people for leaving over very valid reasons. We don't have to stay and pay for your game's progress.

You're right about that one, my appologies. What I was trying to say was that the people that get so mad that they unsub because of some bug or whatever fail to see the big picture, just have some patience, play the parts that you do like and you'll see It will get better. Perfection takes time. People that played WoW knows that but during some period of their path to 1337-mmo hero title people forgot that.

On the other hand if you flat out hate the game I see no reason for staying :)

I quit WoW before Cataclysm even came out. I need RPG in my MMO more than I need MMO in my RPG.

Waited for SWTOR and loving it. I have some issue I would like resolved, but today's patch notes showed BioWare is trying to fix things the community is asking for (Sentinel fixes, performance issues, general bug squashing) and leads me to believe they are good for the major issues, too.

This isn't really fair. Why should people continue to pay for a shoddy product in hopes that their issues will be addressed? That sir, doesn't make sense. Bioware had forever and a day to polish their game. They had a massive budget ect ect ect (I'm not going to go over this again. It's been done a zillion times).

You shouldn't. But you're also being extremely intellectually dishonest about the arc of a game if you believe WoW was always as polished as it is now. I remember when WoW shipped, there was people just like you, using the same argument as you, as to why they shouldn't leave EQ. 6 months later EQ was obviously in decline. People sat in the queues, dealth with the absolutely no content in the early 40s to mid-50s, the attunements, the server crashes, the class imbalances, the grinding, the lack of dungeon finders, etc.

I really dislike the base assumption that there is one way to make an MMO (WoW) and any competition has to have all the same features but be different enough to not be a WoW clone. I read these boards as people berate the game as a clone in one sentence only to follow it up with all the reasons it fails for not having X feature. It's a clone, except when it's not.

SWTOR is a good game. Not great. The question is: will BioWare do what needs to be done to improve it? I think so, judging by their attempts to use feedback without sacrificing their core principles. Will we see cross-realm? Hopefully not. A server-wide LFG tool? I hope so, and think it will happen. Your choice is to remain and be a part of it or jump ship, but you don't get to compare games that are in different areas of their growth arc.

Got an email today that my old-old raiding guild on Thorium Brotherhood (Horde) is going away because the server is on life support and players are transferring to higher population servers. So I went back just now to transfer ownership of an old Alliance guild (TB as well) to another member who is all that's left and wants it for an alt bank. (My sub expires Friday.)

Along the way I checked mail in Stormwind (brew of the month club samples were piling up) on both TB as well as my most recent alt guild on Kirin Tor (if you consider 14 raid-ready lvl 85s an alt guild.) They are DEAD. The SW AHs on both Thorium Brotherhood and Kirin Tor used to be packed and there would be dozens of toons hanging around the fountains hitting each other with Love Is In The Air flooby dust. There were maybe half a dozen in the squares tonight and only one or two in the AHs. A trade chat message read "374 Heals LFG. ANY group at this point."

Then it dawned on me. Now I understand why so many are coming to these forums spitting vitriol. Their game is dying and they need some love. They would get plenty too if they just stopped spitting.

Edited by GalacticKegger

Quit WoW over a year ago. Didn't play any MMOs for a year or so until SWTOR. By the mid-30s in SWTOR, I was starting to crave WoW again (to play my resto druid - nice responsive spell casting, and a lovely custom UI), so resubbed.

Got one of my WoW characters from green/blue gear up to ilvl374ish (welfare epics) in a couple of evenings and a weekend, though - as it's in the 'end-of-expansion, throw epics at you' phase, and as I'm no longer in an active raiding guild, I'll probably just do LFM Dragon Soul then not play much more until the next expansion... Was already a bit burned out with WoW, so can't really be bothered levelling my 3 other lv80s to 85, or gearing up my other 85. Was quite impressed by the newer 5-mans.

Not sure which, if either, I'll still be playing in a couple of months. I'm only lv40 in SWTOR, so I've still got a fair bit to see and do. But it's been getting a bit dull through the late 30s - it's been a fairly solitary experience - I'm still guildless and have had very few opportunities to do any group content, as I can't be bothered standing idle at the fleet spamming LFG messages when I could be out questing. (yes, IMO it needs a flashpoint/operation group finding tool, or at the very least a global LFG channel!)

You aren't the only one. I made it through the late 30's and most of the 40's by pure grind. Many others that I work with and some long time friends temporarily threw in the towel though and haven't been seen online for weeks. All of them are in their late 30's and extremely early 40's.

There biggest complaints "It's gotten boring", "Where is everyone? all the planets are empty, I'm lucky to see maybe 5 people during an entire session of questing", "What do you mean only Sith get purple color crystals? ***?"

Etc. I am in a guild now and they are good people, but I'm just not feeling the game very much at this point. As i said in another thread, it REALLY feels "over" to me. IE: 1-50 was the fun stuff, at 50, not much is going on. My companions don't talk to me anymore, no side missions. The dailies are really rather Meh (as far as questing goes) I don't have time for Ops.

Sigh.

Edited by CriticalMasses

I go back to WoW every now and then for one reason.

To troll.

WoW has a crappy community and butchered lore along with ridiculously easy raids that an armless crippled blind deaf and dumb kid could beat by rolling his face across his keyboard. Ever tried dragonsoul? Beat it first try, nobody died, facerolled through hardmode and got top notch gear- Then I got bored.

I go back and troll horde bgs by not contributing and handing the alliance kills. I've lost all respect for WoW, and for good reason. I have 4k honor on a level 27 orc warrior that doesn't wear clothes and punches people in pvp, assuming I even have reason to try to autoattack them. What am I going to do with that honor? Glad you asked! Buy BoA and make a new troll roll!

You will hate me because I say these things, just watch :)

What? It's not like blizzard's going to do anything about it. I've been doing this since dragonsoul and not one suspension has come my way. Just 9 warnings.

I guess you haven't started raiding in SWTOR yet. Hard mode SWTOR raids are easier than regular raids in WoW - and a hell of a lot buggier.

At the moment you can't even kill the last boss in EV on any mode after the patch today - GG Bioware.

You shouldn't. But you're also being extremely intellectually dishonest about the arc of a game if you believe WoW was always as polished as it is now. I remember when WoW shipped, there was people just like you, using the same argument as you, as to why they shouldn't leave EQ. 6 months later EQ was obviously in decline. People sat in the queues, dealth with the absolutely no content in the early 40s to mid-50s, the attunements, the server crashes, the class imbalances, the grinding, the lack of dungeon finders, etc.

I really dislike the base assumption that there is one way to make an MMO (WoW) and any competition has to have all the same features but be different enough to not be a WoW clone. I read these boards as people berate the game as a clone in one sentence only to follow it up with all the reasons it fails for not having X feature. It's a clone, except when it's not.

SWTOR is a good game. Not great. The question is: will BioWare do what needs to be done to improve it? I think so, judging by their attempts to use feedback without sacrificing their core principles. Will we see cross-realm? Hopefully not. A server-wide LFG tool? I hope so, and think it will happen. Your choice is to remain and be a part of it or jump ship, but you don't get to compare games that are in different areas of their growth arc.

Can I fave this? No? Aw.

Looks like I still have a day or two left to post. I haven't really checked as it's not that important to me. I'll tell you one thing, I resubbed to WoW last night, and 10 min logged in and it was like a breath of fresh air. My gear looked amazing, my animations actually matched my button presses, I hopped back into a bg and the battle was fierce, and I quickly remembered after my first heroic in 2 months that the game engages you in a way SWOTR can't even compare to.

You make the mistake of comparing Vanilla to SWOTR release. Of course WoW wasn't polished at the start but it is now, and even at the beginning it was still better. (imo at least) The real problem is why should anyone stay here when there's already a polished game out?. Why should anyone sit around, paying and wait for massive issues to be resolved when even those issues being resolved don't make the game measure up? Come six months, this game won't even be a competitor, much less a threat to WoW. As many people here who go "I'll never go back to WoW", I've already met that many back in WoW who say they'll never go back to SWOTR.

You're right. SWTOR IS a good game. But WoW is great. I'm not saying WoW doesn't have problems (I left it for a reason to begin with) but it's superior in almost every way. It took me leaving and coming back to realize it's still the best in the business. I'm loving my rogue, and quite honestly I don't care what happens to this game one way or another. Would be great if it gave WoW some competition, but I truly, honestly don't think it's going to make it that far. I know I won't be back to play at any point now that I've gotten another taste of WoW.

Lol, I'm really just here because the WoW forums are down atm. I love forums :] Honestly, I'm not mad, and you're allowed to enjoy the game. People come and go based on their enjoyment level. I don't enjoy the game, and even with massive overhauls, don't see myself enjoying it the future. You're allowed to feel the opposite. Only one thing is really clear: It's a rough market, and anyone who puts out an MMO in the future better be damn sure it's ready.

Edited by Whatsalightsaver

L

Lol, I'm really just here because the WoW forums are down atm. I love forums :] Honestly, I'm not mad, and you're allowed to enjoy the game. People come and go based on their enjoyment level. I don't enjoy the game, and even with massive overhauls, don't see myself enjoying it the future. You're allowed to feel the opposite. Only one thing is really clear: It's a rough market, and anyone who puts out an MMO in the future better be damn sure it's ready.

Each to his own i say. If you enjoy WoW better, if the lacks or bugs in the game are gamebreaking for you, or if you just like Warcraft's ambience better, then whats more to say eh?

Well I never played WoW but I did play LOTRO for 3 years strait,100% dedicated to, up all night, 6 days a week type of guy and now I log into LOTRO "maybe" onces a week just to check my mail but I do feel like this game has really hooked me :rolleyes: but what really sucks is I just re-upped my subscription to LOTRO for 1 year just before the release of this game in December:D but oh well :p

I played WoW from the day of release until Cata. I know its all the same people playing all these MMOs but I just couldn't stand the community any more. If not for some friends I would have left at BC. I love SWtOR and I don't know why but the community just seems better to me, not counting general forums of course. I only play One game at a time and SWtOR will be it for the foreseeable future.

The argument that "every other MMO's had [insert feature here] out in plain view for years so it should have been there at launch for SWTOR" is pipe dream unrealistic. MMO features are not open source modules a developer can simply download, plug in, tweak and patch out. Even the most collaborative SD tools & technologies will never replace the time and resources required to plan, write, test, troubleshoot and implement the code - from scratch. That is unless developers like NCSoft, SOE, Blizzard (or yourself perhaps) feel compelled to share their source code and programmers with BioWare. Then I could maybe see having some of their (your) stuff in place and working right away.

At ease soldier. No one is insulting you for leaving if you are insulting no one for staying. Fair enough?

Edited by GalacticKegger

I started WoW around 2007 and played pretty hardcore until Sunwell when my guild collapsed...and I had to get myself out of grad-school :D I've returned for Northrend and Cataclysm and raided causally. I will not be going back though. It was good times but it's in the past.

I've also played LOTRO, Guild Wars, and City of Villans.

I'm an altaholic now, no longer a raider or PVP'er, and I imagine a game like SWTOR will have my subscription for a good while as the stories are so interesting for me.

Sarted WoW right when BC came out, quit shortly after Cata because I knew this game was coming. Won't go back, lvling in WoW was just boring, raids were meh, but that is probably because I never had a good guild to run them with. Won't go back to WoW, nor do I see that changing, despite my issues with TOR (fix Soa plz).

TOR has a great deal of potential...I'm only worried how buggy that potential will be when they finally release it.

Just curious to how many players came from WoW and have returned or how many are still playing ToR?

I myself am playing both games, I know it's crazy but I think it's ok to enjoy more than one game at a time :D

I think the order of games i have played over the years has been something like....

Eq1 -> DAOC -> Anarchy online -> Back to Eq1 -> Wow -> Warhammer online -> back to Wow -> back to Warhammer online -> Rift -> MMO burnout so nothing but PS3 and Xbox for now TOR...

and i am loving TOR! I can only play one game at a time! i get too into them, and try to balance gaming with a real life, so my PlayStation and xbox havent been touched since Dec20th.

p.s. i have no intention of ever returning to Wow, i lost all interest after lich king. I'd rather just Ps3 game now if i lose interest in TOR...or Mechwarrior Online is coming too!

I have WoW sub still, but haven't played in a month or so, but I'm sure I'll go back.

I love my Warcraft characters the most, out of all the MMO's I've played, so I will not abandon them.

Warsong Gulch alone is enough for me to go back to WoW from time to time.