3 illum PVP plan fails, try to do it right - here is how!

wOOOOt

I like the Illum PVP zone, it is a good design. But Bioware constantly don't think of how people play, and how their systems will really work.

Bioware Fail 1:

Making a daily and weekly reward system, that didn't require any PVP fighting at all.

Result was a good number of players out there, but rarely a single battle. Opposing teams stood there waving and "trading" bases to complete quests.. FAIL!

Bioware Fail 2:

Patch 1.1 - sounded good with more rewards and valor for kills. But now daily/week quests are only based on kills. The patch 1.1 had a high new interest the first day, and lot of pepole showed up. But Bioware missed the human pvp nature of forming a large crowd, and storming the outnumbered enemy. Now Zerg PVP can be fun. But not when the base can be invaded, and spawn camped.

Bioware Fail 3:

They quickly fixed the base and spawncamping. And Good Job on being quick about it!.

But now Illum only has 1 thing. PVP for Valor points. And that might just do, except for on huge important factor.. YOU NEED ENEMIES TO KILL, in order to complete your weekly/daily.... Right now (on my server) you got out there, and go looking. There are 20 ppl on Illum, and the 15+ are doing dailys. You run around the PVP zone but it is almost empty. Why is it empty?? People go there to find PVP battles. After 10 minutes of looking, you found 1 single guy who you kill. But it gets you nowhere, so you leave. And this is what happens. People go there, get bored and leave, and then the next out there also find it empty.

Here is how you make Illum work, with active PVP all the time.

Rule 1. Rewards.

You need to have a "carrot" all the time. Not just a daily or weekly.

There have to be something to come for all the time, that also have a "staying effect" to keep people in the zone. It is not good enough with a weekly/daily quest that you can finish in XX minutes, and then you leave because there is no rewards...

Yes, some will stay and pvp just for the fun of it. But 90% of the MMO players, they play to improve their characters. If there is no reward in PVP'ing on Illum, then they go PVP in Warzones for better Valor, or go PVE for rewards there.

Rule 2. The PVP Zone must have a goal.

Right now the 5 bases that you control have no value at all. Yes, it changes your Valor bonus for kills, but since Valor is CLEARLY not reward enough in itself to make people come for PVP, then right now the bases are useless.

And its a shame, because the basic system with the bases is brilliant. 5 points of capture the hill. We just need a good reason to capture them.

Rule 3. There have to be a carrot to come for, even if there is no enemies out there.

Install chests, harvesting nodes, and make it possible to complete weekly/daily on base capturing again (but make it worth more to kill people instead of just base trading)

My suggestion 1 - Rwards systems.

- Valor for kills is good - keep it as it is.

- Add commendations as reward for each kill. 1-10 commendations for each kill, depending on how much you participated. Of course also give some for the healers, just like in the WZ. Reward commentations for playing your role.

- Add bonus valor and commendation for being in a 2-4 man group. But let it be dependant on a mix of classes. So no reward for 4 range dps together, since they have it more easy in zergs.

- Make fights at bases earn 10% bonus rewards.

- Quest NPC at the bases, give several different daily quests. Also have a side quest, that keeps auto updating just like in PVP, with 5 enemy kills, 10-15-20-40-60-80-100.

Give random item rewards, green blue, and an epic item for 80-100. Maybe just random and not class related, so somthing for companions or to sell on AH.

- Keep valor bonus for capturing a base.

- Give the overall battle a goal, to take all 5 bases. when 1 side take all 5 bases, the enemy bases is open for raiding for 3 minutes, where the cannons are disabled. Let them storm in and try to wipe the enemy. At the last minute of the 3 minutes, a special Vendor spawns, with special items for sale. He is up for 1 min only, so if the invaders win, they have him, if the defenders survive, then they have him. The NPC could also be a quest giver with very special fun pvp quests, to keep people playing..

After the 3 minute base battle, cannons reactivate, and wipe remaining enemies + the vendor. (he could be a hutt)

These are some thoughts on what Bioware is doing wrong, and what can be made much better.

More rewards + reasons to stay there + reasons to fight for bases = win.

w

I'd have to say - at least on my server there is NO shortage of Imps just outside the main Rep base, so I get the armaments for the quest really fast. It's like fishing in a barrel - randomly tab and use the "pull" ability, instant death for the victim.

And lets add - learn from Daoc PVP reward system..

Realm Ranks just worked! People would come and PVP 24/7 to

climb those endless ladders for small rewards (new skills)

Here is a suggestion for a system:

Playing your class role in World PVP will earn you 1-10 realm points pr. kill.

RP = Realm Points.

Here is the ladder with reward suggestions:

Rank 1 - 1.000 RP = Give you a datacron with 3 point on main stat.

Rank 2 - 2.500 RP = Makes all you companions 5% faster on missions.

Rank 3 - 5.000 RP = Give you 1% accuracy

Rank 4 - 10.000 RP = Give you a datacron with 2 points on all stats.

Rank 5 - 20.000 RP = Give you a 10% discount on all NPC vendors.

Rank 6 - 40.000 RP = Give all your alts a 1% experience boost.

Rank 7 - 70.000 RP = Give you 1 bonus talent point to spend.

Rank 8 - 125.000 RP = Unlock an option to dualspec.

Rank 9 - 175.000 RP = Give you a datacron with 5 points on main stat.

Rank 10 - 250.000 RP = Give you a datacron with 1% bonus on Crits.

Rank 11 - 500.000 RP = Give you a 1% bonus on endurance

Rank 12 - 750.000 RP = Gives you a daily free teleport to Illum

Rank 13 - 1.000.000 RP = Gives you 10% increased mount speed.

Rank 14 - 1.500.000 RP = Give you 1 bonus talent point to spend.

Rank 15 - 2.000.000 RP = Give you a datacron that increase all stats with 5

Rank 16 - 3.000.000 RP = Give you 1% increased haste (sry, dont remember stat name)

Rank 17 - 4.000.000 RP = Give you 10% bonus in PVP (valor and commendation)

Rank 18 - 5.000.000 RP = Gives you a daily free teleport to spaceship

etc.

w

Fix PvP:

1) Remove commendations, crappy system. Just use PvP rank and credits.

2) Remove dailies/weeklies, crappy system. Just PvP for the fun of PvPing.

3) Remove expertise, crappy system. It's a band-aid.

4) Provide objectives of varying magnitude (pop pop) rewarding faction-affecting benefits.

Agree on many of your points.The main thing is to get the fighting away from spawn.

They should just make it so you can not get valor when fighting at both enemy spawns.

And there must be more guards just out side the main bases so the fighting will atleast be outside the gates.And if putting chests there thet can only be looted once per day maybe twice so it can not be exploited by the winning faction.

I say ad the walkers etc in the 3 objectives as part of the mission the players get.

Otherwise why go there at all.But there cant be in the objective that one faction must hold all 3 bases to get the objective done.Btw a reason for that to work then you must remove the dumd 10 secons channel time on the rockets so a team can hit and run to not be zergd.

Lets say south middle north bases must be captured and walkers blown away 3 times each base + player kills.

And both factions get the same amount of valor. Not like the fail system that is now !

Only give valor when fighting outside the main bases. And give mercenary commendations for player kills lets say 3 for each kill during the time you are doing

daily/weekly.Not any other time.Also during this time you will get 3 champion commendations as a reward.

And BTW make things a little random and fun sometimes by having a reall boss droid

thats gone crasy apear in the wild, that both factions must group up to take it down.

Not as in beeing in a group but work togeter to take down.Of course this boss is VERY powerful and you must have players of both factions at the site to be able to defeat him.

Lets say must be 50 from each faction there.And he drops a few battlemaster gears or maybe good rraiding gear pieces, maybe a schematic or two what ever you get my point.

This could happen maybe two times a week.Make it a random boss, droid creature etc.

Just get the players away from mainbase and a reason to go out there .

A fun reason that will even get the PvE people out there.

I am sure they would like to do alot of things but since the ENGINE they use sucks chunks, they wont be able to implement anything useful for us. welcome to old tech given new life.

Oh and by the way, all the ideas you folks are giving them for free, regardless of how good or bad they may be, is nifty and all, but really, you folks need to think of yourselves first, get your ideas protected and then submit, dont give these devs free ideas, so far they have screwed the pooch and i am quite sure they have little fingers taking your ideas from THEIR forums. Just food for thought.

Edited by Chal

I am sure they would like to do alot of things but since the ENGINE they use sucks chunks, they wont be able to implement anything useful for us. welcome to old tech given new life.

Oh and by the way, all the ideas you folks are giving them for free, regardless of how good or bad they may be, is nifty and all, but really, you folks need to think of yourselves first, get your ideas protected and then submit, dont give these devs free ideas, so far they have screwed the pooch and i am quite sure they have little fingers taking your ideas from THEIR forums. Just food for thought.

Is it really that bad? Also I agree with the OP and his believe you need a carrat on a stick to keep players always comin. once peolpe are done their dailies they leave. I thought mythic was going to do a good job, but they clearly failed. Now they are talking about making it exactly like wintergrapse. Which btw is not Open world pvp. Its a warzone. Their is a limit on how many people can go in their. Its just instanced pvp.......

Nice post... I agree we need more reward and more reazon to make everyone to get out. Right now it feels like something still missing amost feels like a waste of time to do anything on that planet. May be shards for every kill so later can be traded for commendations.

Add an Alterac Valley like mechanic where boss/elite level Companions can be spawned by the lower pop team after they achieve a specific objective. It would then follow a player as an uncontrolled companion. the availability would be determined by zone balance. The weaker side gets the help.

Some of the problems are server pop. When the area equalizes within a range these boss/ elite spawns despawn.

Make the AT ATs dynamic. Have them attack players and march on a base. Have them move thorughout the zone forward to he base.

Create an assualtable base.

I can't believe I am saying this but create a flashpoint with good drops for the side that wins to access to,

What seems broken in almost any mmo i have played is, the game makers need to give me a reason to hate the other faction

early wow seems to have it right with city and town raids. you early wow players who complained about this type of PVP should be ashamed as you wrecked all MMOs since

Edited by ZEROUMUS

I have a simpler solution that I believe will work. Put pieces all over the map not just at the center. On my server it is Sith heavy, so the republic never goes cause we are outnumbered and get roflowned or we don't do anything and run around. We cant get the pieces cause they are all in one small area and since there aren't enough of us to kill the Sith are all there grabbing them to complete the daily the slow way.

Put them over a larger area that is harder to control, the under-represented side of a server still has a chance to get them since they are harder to camp, this also spreads out the over represented side giving small groups of the smaller side a chance to catch a 2-3 man group. Right now there is a bottle neck on Ilum, remove that and see what happens.

Please oh please remove the global notifications every time one occurs everyone lags lol... we don't need it in Ilum the mini map suffices. I don't know about the roaming world boss, mobs where in PVP zones in Aion and it use to drive people insane, you would die more to mobs than PVP sometimes, mostly to the roaming World Boss. Not to mention Imps heavily outnumber Reb so will more than likely get the kill and loot most of the time... it's a good idea in theory I guess it just depends how it's implemented. And i agree spread the armaments around the map more this should spread out the population a bit more. Edited by xEkkax

If one side is too powerful, AI units should spawn at that side and hit mobs of players/bases. They shouldn't be enough to overwhelm them, but it would give them something to do, fight population imbalance, and give the weaker side (usually Republic) a more fighting chance.