The real reason Empire is more popular than Republic

MisterMT

I joined the Empire, because of the opportunity for fast advancement. With Lord Vader choking the top brass on a daily basis, the positions open up quickly.

Sure the potential for retirement is slim to none... but you gotta look at the big picture.

Imperial Army- Shack up with some hot babe on a Super Star Destroyer, quick advancement, power, glory, and no visions of dead dudes popping up all the time.

Republic Army- Bottom of the barrel Hoth outpost guard porta-john cleaner.. no advancement, no hot babes, all the power of a scrub brush, removing someone else's daily "glory"

:rolleyes:

You hit the nail on the head sir! :cool::ph_good_post::sy_empire:

Edited by gaskull

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have been living in two different realities.

I play Empire because my friend did, also because of ULTIMATE POWWAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Good wins because it usually doesn't eat itself, not because it is innately "good". One can typically expect evil to continue evil acts until it ultimately consumes itself.

I said something in a thread long ago that I think rings relevant here:

"You know what's funny? Going against the good guy cliche by being dark, gritty, and edgy is now very cliche.

Either that, or this new era of dark and edgy in entertainment has given the human race an excuse to show its true colors: they are selfish piss-ant d-bags who revel in others' misery."

So many theories, when the truth is out there for all to see...

British accents are sexier than American accents.

End of story.

Might be part of it, I'm convinced it's mostly because red and black look cool (the over all imperial asthetic is more in sync with pop culture at the moment) and also it's "cool" to be the bad guy. Which is why it really confuses me when people are constantly trying to say the empire isn't evil.

Lots of venomous republic posting here... namecalling empire with things like "They're all emo" "Buncha alliance kiddies" and whatnot. I see this in every thread that becomes republic vs empire and y'all wonder why people roll empire. Why not make a better showing for your faction? Try giving legitimate reasons for us to want to roll republic instead of throwing insults and then calling the -other- side the immature one. =P Edited by Nexxa

Lots of venomous republic posting here... namecalling empire with things like "They're all emo" "Buncha alliance kiddies" and whatnot. I see this in every thread that becomes republic vs empire and y'all wonder why people roll empire. Why not make a better showing for your faction? Try giving legitimate reasons for us to want to roll republic instead of throwing insults and then calling the -other- side the immature one. =P

a lot of the imps choice is based on half arsed canon so...

So many theories, when the truth is out there for all to see...

British accents are sexier than American accents.

End of story.

Couldn't agree more. Why try to come up with any other theories, this is clearly the truth.

At least they do not sound like Dick Van Dyke doing his cockney accents.

You sir have clearly not visited the East End of Kass City.

Edited by Darth_Romana

Lets look at the class storylines (first 10 levels or so). I've played most of them.

Sith Inquisitor: Treated like dirt for being an ex-slave, sent out on missions by a superior who wants you to fail. Hatred is literally the fuel you must use to rise above your enemies. Vindication and victory, your enemies humbled and the lamentations of their apprentices as you leave Korriban.

Trooper: Special Forces, Best of the Best, time travelling Shepard from Earth. Awesome. Loved it. Best rep class story by far. Pity the class seems to have some of the most broken power animations I've seen to date.

Jedi: Only played the Jedi Knight one. Sent to a planet to train with Jedi masters. Other students get attacked by space orks. For some reason the Jedi send me (a student) out to save them. With a trainee blade. I literally walk past a line of lightsaber wielding Jedi who apparently have better things to do that save students.

What a bunch of *****. This does not make me feel the Jedi are righteous. Next stop, poor starving refugee village literally down the road from the massive Jedi temple/HQ.

There is no real sense of a story, just wandering from place to place wondering what the heck the other Jedi were doing while innocent people are dying right outside their HQ.

I mean at least with the Sith you know why they allow thieves, murderers and monsters to prey on their students. Its because the Empire is a brutal meritocracy, if you die its because you're weak and this is how the Sith weed out the weak. The Jedi have no excuse and its bad story writing to set up a plot that relies on the Jedi not caring about others.

TL;DR

Empire gets better class stories that start on more interesting planets. Shock horror, more people play Empire.

Eh I can understand having people guard the landing zone, and there is a reason why the Jedi do not aid the pilgrims.

Their not really 'innocent' as they are all technically criminals, and the Jedi Order has been forced not to aid them by the Galactic Senate.(no one is supposed to colonize Tython apart from Jedi, so the rules say). Later in the Jk storyline you find out a good portion of them were planning an assault on the Jedi Temple, plus the ones protecting a crazed war hero.

and tbh from what i've played and what i hear of the SI, all your challenges are in a way stolen from you.

Edited by Saseav

Being British, I actually find most of the "Imperial" accents very dodgy -- much more Dick Van Dyke than Peter Cushing. While this mostly applies to the "generic" speech, even some characters with significant amounts of dialogue sound absolutely horrendous.

As to the real reason, I do think the bright colours thing is a very real factor. Neal Stephenson's "REAMDE" has a very similar dichotomy going on, between "The forces of Bright" vs "The Earthtone Coalition" -- imperial gear is all reds and blacks, jedi gear is all earth tones.

Consider the case made by the Jedi Consular versus Sith Inquisitor... two mirror classes. Which would you rather share a bed with? Master Yuon Par, or Lord Zash?

Master Yuon Par

Lord/Darth Zash

One thing though, if you go to Wookieepedia to look up Lord Zash, be aware that the page basically lays out the entire SI class story so from the "History" section onwards it is one huge spoiler.

Edited by Erevan_Kindelar

Fixed that for you.

People go Empire because they think...

Empire = Favorite Color is Red

Red = Evil

Evil = Cool

So therefore...

Empire = Cool

And meanwhile, they tend to think...

Republic = Blue

Blue = Goody-two-shoes

Goody-two-shoes = Not Cool

So therefore....

Republic = Not Cool

It's all in the colors. If the Empire's main colors were pink, purple and yellow, I will bet you they'd be significantly less popular.

I prefer Alliance, because from what I have seen of the Empire, they tend to associate being a jerkface for no apparent reason, contradicting one's self, and having no self control is... Evil?

Actually, I do nto agree that is true, at least for Purple or Yellow, they go well with black.... Pink... meh...

I disagree with your rendition, I think being able to do what you want is not Evil at all....

Fixed that for you.

People go Empire because they think...

Empire = Favorite Color is Red

Red = Evil

Evil = Cool

So therefore...

Empire = Cool

And meanwhile, they tend to think...

Republic = Blue

Blue = Goody-two-shoes

Goody-two-shoes = Not Cool

So therefore....

Republic = Not Cool

It's all in the colors. If the Empire's main colors were pink, purple and yellow, I will bet you they'd be significantly less popular.

I prefer Alliance, because from what I have seen of the Empire, they tend to associate being a jerkface for no apparent reason, contradicting one's self, and having no self control is... Evil?

Actually, I do nto agree that is true, at least for Purple or Yellow, they go well with black.... Pink... meh...

I disagree with your rendition, I think being able to do what you want is not Evil at all....

No, it's because kids think it's cool to play as the bad guys, when in reality the good guys always win.

Funny how you think that choosing Empire automatically means you are a kid trying to be cool. It's not very good logic. Also I am a lightside Sith so I intended to be a good Sith on the wrong side of the galaxy as an RP thing.