BW isn't getting the praise they deserve.

XJones

What would you call it then?

That's your opinion. Other's and I, beg to differ.

Did you get the WOW Explore title? ToR doesn't even come close to WoW's world.

I think you spent too little time on WOW to actually be able to offer any credible opinion on it.

Because lots of people like to shape it to their liking? Why did you ask just a silly question?

This is priceless.

OK, tell me what's good about WoW's crafting system. I really, really want to hear this. No really, come on. Lavish me with a description about how you had a blast running around Ashenvale in circles mining ore so you could get 20 more points and move. Regale me with the story about how you loved grinding a profession all the way up just so you could get a buff to remain competitive. I can't wait to hear that one.

WoW's world? How is it superior to ToR's? It felt smaller, except you spent a lot more time on foot. You still had to grind out the same zones. Why would I get the explorer title. I don't randomly run around zones for meaningless titles.

And I hope you got an achievement for finding it's replayability, because that really would be something worth bragging about. THE BARRENS IS SO MUCH DIFFERENT IF YOU... I have no idea what would come next.

Edited by SamuraBob_Fl

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is priceless.

OK, tell me what's good about WoW's crafting system. I really, really want to hear this. No really, come on. Lavish me with a description about how you had a blast running around Ashenvale in circles mining ore so you could get 20 more points and move. Regale me with the story about how you loved grinding a profession all the way up just so you could get a buff to remain competitive. I can't wait to hear that one.

WoW's world? How is it superior to ToR's? It felt smaller, except you spent a lot more time on foot. You still had to grind out the same zones. Why would I get the explorer title. I don't randomly run around zones for meaningless titles.

And I hope you got an achievement for finding it's replayability, because that really would be something worth bragging about. THE BARRENS IS SO MUCH DIFFERENT IF YOU... I have no idea what would come next.

Like I told you in the other topic after you said you only played WoW for 6 months.. You have no credibility in discussing WoW.

Pick another game, one you are more familiar with.

Like I told you in the other topic after you said you only played WoW for 6 months.. You have no credibility in discussing WoW.

Pick another game, one you are more familiar with.

lol wut?

I never said that. I played WoW for five years, from launch until after ICC. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have me confused with someone else.

Though grats on artfully dodging the substance.

Edited by SamuraBob_Fl

lol wut?

I never said that. I played WoW for five years, from launch until after ICC. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say you have me confused with someone else.

Though grats on artfully dodging the substance.

It was a mix up.. I saw .5 but the . was a sentence ender.. My mistake and apologies.

I'll post a response to your Question next.

This is priceless.

Rather than regale you with stories, I'll say this. I enjoyed WoW crafting system, and I find ToRs to be a few steps backwards. An opinion, but mine.

How isn't superior is probably a better question. WoW world is massive and open, I can run from one end of a continent to another if I choose to do so. I can also fly if I wish. There are literally thousands of roaming mobs.

Now let's look at ToR;

It is completely linear. You cannot go from one side of the planet to another. You are directly every step of the way via corridors. Once you need to move to a different area, you need to take a taxi. You cannot fly. It's Star Wars and you cannot fly!!

Well I had 6 accounts and boxed them all at once. You cannot do that in ToR.

Rather than regale you with stories, I'll say this. I enjoyed WoW crafting system, and I find ToRs to be a few steps backwards. An opinion, but mine.

How isn't superior is probably a better question. WoW world is massive and open, I can run from one end of a continent to another if I choose to do so. I can also fly if I wish. There are literally thousands of roaming mobs.

Now let's look at ToR;

It is completely linear. You cannot go from one side of the planet to another. You are directly every step of the way via corridors. Once you need to move to a different area, you need to take a taxi. You cannot fly. It's Star Wars and you cannot fly!!

Well I had 6 accounts and boxed them all at once. You cannot do that in ToR.

Sure, opinions are opinions, but I still would like to know anything that was positive about WoW's crafting system and better than TOR's. I really can't think of one thing that was enjoyable about it. I ground out professions to keep up my raid performance and didn't really see anything fun in it.

Yeah, you could run from one end of the continent to the other, but why would you? I never really found any fun in having to run around, I wanted more taxis. It always felt like a huge time sink.

What does multi-boxing have to do with any of this and what's stopping you from doing that in TOR? Also, that's not replayability, I think? I guess unless you count having a completely different 6 class team each time. I guess that cool but it puts you in a fairly unique position.

This is priceless.

Yours is priceless-e-er...or something.

I usually went with dual gathering because the game had an AH that acutally worked. But I can't say I have a blast going in circles.

A lot more time on foot? Ooooh! I see, you are one of those trying to compare TOR of today to WoW of 5 years ago cause you can start a toon and get to level 20 and get a mount within hours these days. Plus, TOR feels boxed in, narrow and cheap. Repubic goes from city planet to former city planet to another city planet before finally getting to anything Star Wars-ish or open feeling (Tatooine).

There is more variation in leveling....there fore more replay value. Its hard to argue that fact over what TOR offers. WoW has three times as many starting zones per faction as TOR I think? You can take class/characters through two different questing paths and two entirely different zones with two different stories 1-60...that's two per faction. After Hellfire Penninsula you can go two different directions as well...Northrend (70-80) offers two different paths (mostly)....level 80 offers two different paths...81-85 are the same path.

PvP gives decent enough XP to level at a similar rate as questing which gives you yet another option (yet more replay).

There is a reason people have multiple level 85's in this game.

EDIT: I can't believe I'm actually defending WoW. I hate that game. Maybe this game really is that bad to me...holy shuttle.

Edited by Scopian

Sure, opinions are opinions, but I still would like to know anything that was positive about WoW's crafting system and better than TOR's. I really can't think of one thing that was enjoyable about it. I ground out professions to keep up my raid performance and didn't really see anything fun in it.

That's fair enough, I see crafting as an ongoing experience in an MMO and not something performed just to keep up any other performance.

Different strokes, different folks.

Yeah, you could run from one end of the continent to the other, but why would you? I never really found any fun in having to run around, I wanted more taxis. It always felt like a huge time sink.

Again, I enjoyed roaming and getting to know every part of the world.

What does multi-boxing have to do with any of this and what's stopping you from doing that in TOR?

Multi-Boxing allows re-playability. I doubt many folks want to hear the same voice acting for every class in ToR. I may be wrong.

Also, that's not replayability, I think? I guess unless you count having a completely different 6 class team each time. I guess that cool but it puts you in a fairly unique position.

I've multi-boxed on every MMO I ever played, except ToR which cannot be multi-boxed. That to me is replay ability and in no way unique.

I usually went with dual gathering because the game had an AH that acutally worked. But I can't say I have a blast going in circles.

A lot more time on foot? Ooooh! I see, you are one of those trying to compare TOR of today to WoW of 5 years ago cause you can start a toon and get to level 20 and get a mount within hours these days. Plus, TOR feels boxed in, narrow and cheap. Repubic goes from city planet to former city planet to another city planet before finally getting to anything Star Wars-ish or open feeling (Tatooine)

There is more variation in leveling....there fore more replay value. Its hard to argue that fact over what TOR offers. WoW has three times as many starting zones per faction as TOR I think? You can take class/characters through two different questing paths and two entirely different zones with two different stories 1-60. After Hellfire Penninsula you can go two different directions as well...Northrend (70-80) offers two different paths (mostly)....level 80 offers two different paths...81-85 are the same path.

There is a reason people have multiple level 85's in this game.

Yeah, a lot of people went with 2 gathering professions. Why? Because crafting was useless.

I don't feel boxed in in TOR.

WoW has absolutely zero variation in leveling. You grind out a bunch of mobs the exact same way in the same zones. Being able to skip Stonetalon Mountains because you ran a couple instances isn't variation. You're still going to grind out Stranglethorn Vale for the 5th time, and if you're really unlucky you'll have to do Desolace again because the game just never had enough quests.

Saying that you can take 2 directions in the BC areas is simply false. You can level enough through Zangamarsh that you can skip Nagrand, or maybe do Nagrand and skip the mountain area after it. Ultimately, the only variation is which dots on the line you skip.

Northrend doesn't have 2 different paths, it has two different starting areas that converge on the same path.

Exactly. It's all about what is considered "Competitive".

A poorly thought out UI, poor performance on certain rig specs, etc, etc. Can all affect how "competitive" a product can appear in the market. ESPECIALLY when devs refuse to discuss the issues other than saying that they are looking into them.

Sorry Bioware, but giving vague answers and refusing to give ETA's just doesn't cut it. If customers don't get satisfactory answers, they take their business elsewhere. It's that simple.

But, I'm sure someone will just say "well good riddance!". And such a response would show myopia in regards to how events could ultimately affect the level of enjoyment THAT person could ultimately gain from this product.

It is competitive it had over 2 mil subs but the constant wow players bashing the game and people getting their opinion on buying the game from a forum is causing a problem no matter what game it is that comes out it will have bugs NO matter what game it is and just by reading forums you would thing you character was completely unplayable and cannot move and everywhere you did walk you fell through the map or something.

The game is great and you seriously need to actually go look up what it takes to make a game and repair whats wrong with it, specifically when a game is as big as SWTOR if you don't think this game is competitive your wrong it has had the biggest subs ever on release and bioware is working hard on fixing and keeping people happy in the game it is the people who believe they are entitled to more than they really are reporting bugs on a forum and trying to have them noticed by the devs is good but bashing the game for a bug is another. Btw, want to keep comparing to wow? Here you go what was their subs 2 years ago? I believe somewhere around 15mil or so bragging on their box now they have dropped to somewhere in the low 9 millions...a game drops and once everything is fixed I will be proud to sit here and watch this game prosper and be part of it.

An opinion, not based on any known facts.

I'm not sure if you tried SWG or EQ2 but they are very in depth compared to anything wow or post wow that i've seen.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that's played either of those games that wouldn't agree, besides you.

Wow really brought the crafting bar down. Same as many of the more hardcore features.

Edited by TheHeadCapper

They're getting too much of a praise, considering all the bugs and rubbish design they've released.

Name some "rubbish" designs right now. That have not been fixed.

quick edit here is another one name one game one game that has been released without bugs.

Edited by nevetss

I'm not sure if you tried SWG or EQ2 but they are very in depth compared to anything wow or post wow that i've seen.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone that's played either of those games that wouldn't agree, besides you.

Wow really brought the crafting bar down. Same as many of the more hardcore features.

Oh lordy... EQ2 crafting was unique, yes, but THE MOST USELESS THING IN THE FACE OF THE PLANET! Seriously, the only thing that was GOOD was either Carpenter or one of the three spells crafts. And don't even MENTION the grind it took to level that monstrosity up.

Yeah, a lot of people went with 2 gathering professions. Why? Because crafting was useless.

WoW has absolutely zero variation in leveling. You grind out a bunch of mobs the exact same way in the same zones. Being able to skip Stonetalon Mountains because you ran a couple instances isn't variation. You're still going to grind out Stranglethorn Vale for the 5th time, and if you're really unlucky you'll have to do Desolace again because the game just never had enough quests.

Saying that you can take 2 directions in the BC areas is simply false. You can level enough through Zangamarsh that you can skip Nagrand, or maybe do Nagrand and skip the mountain area after it. Ultimately, the only variation is which dots on the line you skip.

Northrend doesn't have 2 different paths, it has two different starting areas that converge on the same path.

You don't feel boxed-in in TOR? Ok, I guess it's an opinion thing. For me, though, it's very boxed it. I'm forced to do Nar Shadda, I HATE Nar Shadda, i'm FORCED to do Taris, Belsavis, Voss, etc. etc. etc.

WoW had some variations in terms of leveling. I didn't have to go through goldshire> westfall > redridge for everybody. I can switch it up if I like. This game? Nope.

And I never grinded STV, EVER. I only went there once or twice.

And northrend? Replay it again. There's only like 1 zone that you HAVE to do and thats Dragonblight, or w/e the heck that name was. You could do Grizzly Hills or the troll place if you wanted to.

It is competitive it had over 2 mil subs

Source? Where did you pick that number from?

The game is great

Opinions..

and you seriously need to actually go look up what it takes to make a game

Apparently a lot less than $200m. But, this cost a lot more and fails to match even the basics, in my opinion.

I believe somewhere around 15mil or so bragging on their box now they have dropped to somewhere in the low 9 millions...a game drops and once everything is fixed I will be proud to sit here and watch this game prosper and be part of it.

Why did it drop 6 million players? Nothing to do with the quality of the game.. Hint.. Asian market.

You may be right and ToR will recover.. I doubt it though.

Name some "rubbish" designs right now. That have not been fixed.

quick edit here is another one name one game one game that has been released without bugs.

An MMO without bugs is like a government without corruption. It's a fool's dream.

That being said, Rift was probably the best example of a clean launch that I've seen. This game, coming right out of the box, had green laser shows that kill immersion (I was talking to an alien and VOOSH there's a green wall in front of him). They finally got rid of this, but now my screen is flickering in those spots the green laser show was... hmm..

Ability delay, which is STILL driving me batty, that update will probably come next month, but good grief it's annoying me.

Character's mouths not moving: Ok, slightly minor, but it's an immersion breaker, which in a story setting immersion is needed.

You don't feel boxed-in in TOR? Ok, I guess it's an opinion thing. For me, though, it's very boxed it. I'm forced to do Nar Shadda, I HATE Nar Shadda, i'm FORCED to do Taris, Belsavis, Voss, etc. etc. etc.

WoW had some variations in terms of leveling. I didn't have to go through goldshire> westfall > redridge for everybody. I can switch it up if I like. This game? Nope.

And northrend? Replay it again. There's only like 1 zone that you HAVE to do and thats Dragonblight, or w/e the heck that name was. You could do Grizzly Hills or the troll place if you wanted to.

Personally I liked Nar Shadaa.

But anyway, WoW had no variation in terms of leveling at release and very little later on. You're still stuck grinding out Strangelthorn Vale. I have no idea how you leveled without doing it, but it you did I can imagine you spent a lot of time in Desolace, which is worse. And, to be honest, Silithus isn't that different from the Eastern Plaguelands.

As far as Northrend, saying you can skip points in a line doesn't make it non-linear.

Edited by SamuraBob_Fl

Oh lordy... EQ2 crafting was unique, yes, but THE MOST USELESS THING IN THE FACE OF THE PLANET! Seriously, the only thing that was GOOD was either Carpenter or one of the three spells crafts. And don't even MENTION the grind it took to level that monstrosity up.

Well with a game that has full dialog it would take a long time to create other planets and such to quest on for places because some people do not like I believe wow when it was first released you were forced to level through some zones if you decided to lvl through pve btw go hit and 80 and lvl to 85 you have to go through the questing zones to lvl with one option from 81 to 82 which would be hyjal or vajir otherwise foorced to lvl in the other zones in an order.

Personally I liked Nar Shadaa.

But anyway, WoW had no variation in terms of leveling at release and very little later on. You're still stuck grinding out Strangelthorn Vale. I have no idea how you leveled without doing it, but it you did I can imagine you spent a lot of time in Desolace, which is worse. And, to be honest, Silithus isn't that different from the Eastern Plaguelands.

As far as Northrend, saying you can skip points in a line doesn't make it non-linear.

You're using that reasoning that this game has to compete with 2004 WoW, please explain why you're doing this. I have yet to figure out the point in it.

And skipping points in a line in a linear questing game is still choice. Still have to do Correlia at the end of the day. (Which I do like, Correlia is a really awesome planet, very well designed and good story. :D)

No, crafting wasn't useless, but it required raiding to get the latest greatest recipes to keep the gear you made on par with the progression of the game. As a casual who didn't raid much, it was just pointless for me. Dual gathering just meant I could have the gold to buy the latest and be viable for raiding after the recipes were farmed up by someone else.

Zero variation in leveling? Now I know you are making stuff up.

TOR= Kill variations of droids and humans in packs of three with different human to droid ratios of human to droid. Then go kill this larger droid or human with a bigger health pool. For real excitement you get to click on light blue panel for effect. That's it, that's all there is 1-50 unless you really stretch it and call killing bugs in groups of three variation.

TOR actually has less questing variation than Rift and that's saying something. WoW actually has several quests that are carrots on a stick. The ones you do that are different and innovative and keep people chugging along in the leveling process. Throwing bears out of tree, pogo-sticking around knocking people off birds, vehicle based quests...there's a lot more but that is what popped into my head. They are silly and stupid quests, but they are different. I really think you are trying to compare TOR of today with WOW of four years ago and that simply doesn't work. No one is playing WOW of four years ago right now.

You might be right about BC...I haven't played that game in a long time. Also, last time I played BC content I could get through it in a single sitting.