Why are so many people against Arena in Swtor?

Sedic

http://www.arenastats.com/

lol at the people who say it's not about the comps. i guess only bads play the classes that have terrible representation too

Obviously comps come into account aswell, but noone is stopping you from playing a comp in arenas.

If you think something is OP and extremely easy, then feel free to roll the class and play it.

Everyone who says that its only about comp, I am 100% sure that whatever comp or class you played, regardless of gear, you would not be able to compete with any top 10 team on any ladder.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone knows the people against arenas are the ones that are bad, they prefer anonymiously zerging in Warzones where they can blame the other randoms for a loose.

Arenas mercilessly reveal the lacking skill of a player, something which is a horrible thought for gamers that overestimate themselfes, which makes up the main chunk of the players.

Spot on, thanks.

Here's why you won't see arenas in SW:TOR:

http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/11/13/blizzard-arenas-were-a-mistake/

Even Blizzard admits arenas were a mistake because of what it did to the rest of the game. If you built your game around PvP (AKA Guild Wars), arenas are fine. If you built your game around PvE (SW:TOR), arenas are a BAD idea.

Yea, because they had horrible developers who could not balance anything at all.

The main problem with Blizzard is that they were too *********** stubborn and dumb to realize when they made a bad change, this meant that they made a **** change in one patch. Then in the next patch they would try to fix this **** change with other **** changes, instead of just removing the change in the first place.

Blizzard had extremely bad developers, and them blaming the fact that it effected the rest of the game too much is just ********. Because they always made horrible changes, and so very few of them actually had anything to do with arenas, which could be spotted a mile away. This means that they are just coming out with excuses for their bad balancing, that is all.

I lead a large, successful and respected guild, Havoc Squad on the Ven Zallow RP server. If arenas were implemented in SWTOR, we would likely find another MMO.

Just say no to arenas in swtor, not now, not ever. There is no need to explain why, the subject has been discussed ad nauseum in WoW, WAR, AoC, Aion, RIFT and now SWTOR.

Dont go there BioWare, arenas just arent worth the trouble they will cause.

Then Havoc Squad is extremely bad at PvP, and wouldnt be a loss to the PvP scene at all.

Then Havoc Squad is extremely bad at PvP, and wouldnt be a loss to the PvP scene at all.

Becaus of such wannabe elitists I don't like Arenas and didnt't like them in WoW either. If you want to boast with your skill, join cb and play fps.

I would vote against arena, open PVP is so much more enjoyable. It just needs to be fixed, IE ilum.

To all of those "but Arena is the truest test of pvp skill". Because im sure you played the flavor of the patch class in wow and played a powercomp with it. 2. You HAD ADDONS which swtor does not support (and hope they never support). Try being all ****** when you cant mouseover dispell or have something flash on your screen when x character is casting something behind you. 3. You claim skiill, and im sure you are avid pvp players but realistically anyone with half a brain and the ability to put A and B together can be a pretty solid pvp player. Its all stat padding and knowing who and what you can use and when to use it. Common sense. There are bad pvp players because they are either 5 years old, drunk, high, or are just trying to be the biggest douche they can. Bottom line is we dont need arena in Swtor, WoW has it and it can stay there, i dont want another wow clone.

Becaus of such wannabe elitists I don't like Arenas and didnt't like them in WoW either. If you want to boast with your skill, join cb and play fps.

I feel no reason to boast about my skill, I'd just like to tell other people they are bad because they are so much against arenas.

I would vote against arena, open PVP is so much more enjoyable. It just needs to be fixed, IE ilum.

To all of those "but Arena is the truest test of pvp skill". Because im sure you played the flavor of the patch class in wow and played a powercomp with it. 2. You HAD ADDONS which swtor does not support (and hope they never support). Try being all ****** when you cant mouseover dispell or have something flash on your screen when x character is casting something behind you. 3. You claim skiill, and im sure you are avid pvp players but realistically anyone with half a brain and the ability to put A and B together can be a pretty solid pvp player. Its all stat padding and knowing who and what you can use and when to use it. Common sense. There are bad pvp players because they are either 5 years old, drunk, high, or are just trying to be the biggest douche they can. Bottom line is we dont need arena in Swtor, WoW has it and it can stay there, i dont want another wow clone.

I played the same class in arenas non-stop from S2 to S9, playing all kinds of various comps at high ratings. Did not use any addons at all either, because I think they helped people too much, so I did not like them.

About number three, then how come so many people were not good at arenas at all?

Everyone knows the people against arenas are the ones that are bad, they prefer anonymiously zerging in Warzones where they can blame the other randoms for a loose.

Arenas mercilessly reveal the lacking skill of a player, something which is a horrible thought for gamers that overestimate themselfes, which makes up the main chunk of the players.

Arenas have wonderful skilled players.

That would be why you had such wonders as zone exploits (how did they get in my starting area before the match started?), GCD hacks, win trading, rating padding, and other such gems to insure the "good" got their high ratings in WoW. I can't think of a "clean" season in recent memory, and as long as that's the way of things, you can't call those arenas the height of PvP play. They're an attempt to fit an MMORPG character into the equivalent of Quake, and the box never has fit properly, nor will it.

Keep it casual. The good will still be good, but the massive impetus to cheat will no longer be there.

If Arena becomes a focus of SWTOR PvP, i`ll leave, so will many i know. Simple as that.

Focus on open world and GvG pvp and improve it.

Well balanced arena PvP will also make for balanced overall PvP everywhere else.

Also, this enginge doesnt support WPvP because it lags as soon as there is ~20 ppl at the same place.

Arenas have wonderful skilled players.

That would be why you had such wonders as zone exploits (how did they get in my starting area before the match started?), GCD hacks, win trading, rating padding, and other such gems to insure the "good" got their high ratings in WoW. I can't think of a "clean" season in recent memory, and as long as that's the way of things, you can't call those arenas the height of PvP play. They're an attempt to fit an MMORPG character into the equivalent of Quake, and the box never has fit properly, nor will it.

Keep it casual. The good will still be good, but the massive impetus to cheat will no longer be there.

So what is the height of skilled PvP?

Zerging WZ's?

Ilum???

Dont get it.

Edit: Also, the good will still be good, but they wont be playing this game, because there is no challenge if there is nothing you can play competitively, which means that this game will just be boring. Currently un-subbed because there is no content for me to do right now that I enjoy, after getting full gear etc. Waiting for them to add something that will make me interested again.

Edited by Ghingis

This is not WoW.

+1

@Op If you want Arenas so bad, just go back to WoW... I heard they were offering exactly what you are looking for!

Also, the good will still be good, but they wont be playing this game, because there is no challenge if there is nothing you can play competitively, which means that this game will just be boring.

I wonder what's the percentage of people who really want to be competitive in SWTOR.

If you're afraid to get bored at any point ... go back to WoW, I heard they were offering exactly what you are looking for!

Edited by NinjaScroll

I played the same class in arenas non-stop from S2 to S9, playing all kinds of various comps at high ratings. Did not use any addons at all either, because I think they helped people too much, so I did not like them.

About number three, then how come so many people were not good at arenas at all?

Just because you didnt use addons, doesnt mean the other person didnt. Does it give you an advantage? You just said the answer in your above post.

Why were so many people not good at arena? There are sooo many answers to this. IE: You played a powercomp, they had supporting addons, your class sucked that season, you were high, drunk, 5 years old etc. The list goes on.

Ive played arena past 1800 it came down to powercomps and flavor of the month/addons, it didnt matter how good you were you still got stomped by whomever had the better combo.

I never used Arena based addons either, not because of your reasons, its because i didnt care if i made it to x benchmark. Once you log out nobody cares if you are on a 2200 + rated team. My wife never gave me a high five for being awesome at pvp but she does give me a high five (with extras!) for making dinner and doing laundry.

If arena is important to you, there is a game that has it. you want to feel good by doing it, by all means thats your god given right. To come to here and toot your horn about why x sucks and why you are so awesome, probably not a good idea.

If arena gear stats are the same, but look is different, then there's absolutely no reason not to have a 4v4 arena in SWTOR, AFTER bugs/exploits/balance are fixed.

The only people against it, under those conditions, are bad and don't want everyone to see a number next to their name to prove it.

I can't believe people DON'T want more PvP content on the PvP forum. If you don't like arena-style combat, don't participate. Don't run a mindless campaign against it.

Edited by Xenthum

WoW hating is a fashion. Areans would be great, provided the whole damn game isn't being balanced around them. But that would take good PvP devs to pull that off.

@Op If you want Arenas so bad, just go back to WoW... I heard they were offering exactly what you are looking for!

See? That's what I'm talking about. Idiocy.

Edited by Gelich

+1

I wonder what's the percentage of people who really want to be competitive in SWTOR.

If you're afraid to get bored at any point ... go back to WoW, I heard they were offering exactly what you are looking for!

Sadly they arent, because the developers ****ed the balance up so hard that its simply not fun anymore. So bad devs destroyed arenas for me in that game.

Just because you didnt use addons, doesnt mean the other person didnt. Does it give you an advantage? You just said the answer in your above post.

Why were so many people not good at arena? There are sooo many answers to this. IE: You played a powercomp, they had supporting addons, your class sucked that season, you were high, drunk, 5 years old etc. The list goes on.

Ive played arena past 1800 it came down to powercomps and flavor of the month/addons, it didnt matter how good you were you still got stomped by whomever had the better combo.

I never used Arena based addons either, not because of your reasons, its because i didnt care if i made it to x benchmark. Once you log out nobody cares if you are on a 2200 + rated team. My wife never gave me a high five for being awesome at pvp but she does give me a high five (with extras!) for making dinner and doing laundry.

If arena is important to you, there is a game that has it. you want to feel good by doing it, by all means thats your god given right. To come to here and toot your horn about why x sucks and why you are so awesome, probably not a good idea.

This is exactly what I mean, if you were above 1800, but below 2000 rating, how can you even START to talk about game balance or how arenas were like?

Because honestly, sorry to say, you have no clue about how arenas were, and what comps/gear did compared to actually being skilled and having nice teamwork.

Most people around 2000 rating would blame comps/gear/addons for not coming higher, when there was infact people with the same comp playing it up to top 10.

The only logical thing is that most people were not that great at arenas, and hence does not want it into this game, because that is the only part of the game were you could showcase skill over everything else. There is no way you can get around this, at all.

because they come from wow, and in wow there was a very widespread - but very mistaken - perception that every single change to class mechanics and numbers was due solely to pvp.

"stop nerfing my pve because of arena!" was a very, very common cry from people. They usually ignored the fact that most changes were due to pve concerns as well.

The warrior shield slam damage nerf was a good example. The pve community whined and whined that their pve was being nerfed because of pvp, even though blizzard very clearly stated that they wanted to spread out prot warrior damage across their other abilities rather than having 80% of prot warrior damage in pve come from one button.

It's funny, because in general pvp balance and fixes were practically ignored by blizzard. Legendary quality pve items in pvp, arena maps that still had serious terrain bugs (feared into the wall again, yay...) and other issues that just never got addressed.

So now we have these people in swtor, and they're just petrified of the idea of any sort of organized, competitive pvp because they still think that their pve dps/healing/etc will get nerfed into the ground if anything happens in pvp.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i'm sure you are. i mean out of the 53 comps possible there are a whole 3 comps that make up the top 50%+ of arena teams right now. clearly comp isn't important. rofl

Oops. 53 comps would be with 8 classes, WoW has 10, so there are actually 120 possible comps.

So out of the 120 possible comps 3 make up more than half of the top teams. So please, don't come here and tell us it's all about skill and not about the comp, everyone who's not a complete idiot knows better.

Oh, and most of the glads I've known hated arena and didn't play more than the 10 games a week they were required. The people who arena is a small percentage of the overall population. The people who actually like arena is statistically insignificant...

Because they come from WoW, and in WoW there was a very widespread - but very mistaken - perception that every single change to class mechanics and numbers was due solely to PvP.

"Stop nerfing my PvE because of Arena!" was a very, very common cry from people. They usually ignored the fact that most changes were due to PvE concerns as well.

The Warrior Shield Slam damage nerf was a good example. The PvE community whined and whined that their PvE was being nerfed because of PvP, even though Blizzard very clearly stated that they wanted to spread out Prot Warrior damage across their other abilities rather than having 80% of Prot Warrior damage in PvE come from one button.

It's funny, because in general PvP balance and fixes were practically ignored by Blizzard. Legendary quality PvE items in PvP, Arena maps that STILL had serious terrain bugs (Feared into the wall again, yay...) and other issues that just never got addressed.

So now we have these people in SWTOR, and they're just petrified of the idea of any sort of organized, competitive PvP because they still think that their PvE DPS/Healing/etc will get nerfed into the ground if anything happens in PvP.

Arena is not pvp.

Anyone who was successful at arena enjoyed it. There is a large population of people who want it. If there is no arena in STWOR people will move on to Guild Wars where they will have arena style pvp.

People who do not want arena don't need to participate. Arena is important for the longevity of a game because PvP is the only non static content in these MMOs. Implemented right, arena would be a great asset to the game.

I was succesfull and i didnt enjoyed it...

What sane person enjoys being cc'ed as warrior by resto druid in tbc arenas? Games that were lasting 15+ .... so much joy.

Not to mention that as warrior the only viable combo of all the classes out there, was a resto druid....And all those ppl that had warrior but their irl friend that played arena with wasnt resto druid so they couldnt top arenas....they had to be called scrubs and useless and bads....

About the 2nd thing..."People who do not want arena don't need to participate" Sure, but if some combo proved to be pretty much OP, dont u ever try to whine about nerf it...or buff it.

Cause the same ppl that dont play arena, they will be affected by the buff or nerf of their class in pve...

I personaly quit 3 class in pve (ret pala, dk, mage) cause blizz decide to change them for the sake of arena only...