Razer Naga vs. Razer Naga Hex

MaverickXIV

I like the layout of the Razer Naga, but I don't use all the buttons. Some of them are just awkward to press.

Looking at the layout of the hex, I think those buttons would be even more uncomfortable for me.

Anyway, if the Naga is cheaper, I would rather get the mouse with extra buttons. I would rather have buttons I didn't use instead of need buttons I don't have.

I hope you guys who are macro'ing get caught and have a nice vacation from the game.

One button press should equal one action.

Learn to play your class. Don't program your mouse to do it for you.

While this is a hotly debated topic, I don't think BioWare is banning people for using it. Considering Razor has an officially licensed product with the SWTOR logo, as well as including a code for an exclusive in game color crystal. I don't see them banning people for using a product they are actively marketing, it doesn't make sense for them to try and say "You can only use part of the features of that licensed product....".

Not to mention with the buttons themselves I can press them as fast as a macro can activate them, as there are built in delays between actions. They can only be activated so fast...

Edited by PostalTwinkie

I love my Razer Naga. I was pretty hesitant to pull the trigger on it at first. I use the Naga and Nostromo sometimes with the Naga just in keypad mode with 12 abilities tied to the appropriate keys and use the Nostromo for Macros and things like Jump, Tab and ESC. The Nostromo is also amazing for flight missions. I recently switched to just using my laptop keyboard and the Naga without Macros. After a while it felt like I wasn't actually involved enough in battle. Regardless, I struggled with the same decision as you and am really pleased that I didn't get the HEX.

I hope you guys who are macro'ing get caught and have a nice vacation from the game.

One button press should equal one action.

Learn to play your class. Don't program your mouse to do it for you.

Then I hope that Bioware bands the SWTOR branded products that Razer makes which have bundled software specifically for Macro setup.

Huh? Razer has its own software drivers for its mice. When I push the "2" button on my Naga I do a series of attacks, timed correctly for ability cooldowns, channel time, etc, that kills a strong mob with that one button press.

And that would be called macro'ing keypresses and is against the rule... but to each his own ofcourse...

Get the naga. If you play this game for a few years to come expect each expansion to add a few new abilities. You might think there are a lot of keybinds now but this is pretty easy compared to some classes in wow. 50+ keybinds, exacerbated by each expansion adding some new abilities.

What the OP was asking was about the button layout on the regular Naga vs. the Hex. Although I can see the usefulness of the extra buttons, I HAVE heard some people say that some of the buttons on the regular Naga are not as easily accessible, while the setup and spacing between buttons on the Hex leads me to think that they are all both accessible and easy to differentiate between in fast paced situations.

I think the OP was asking for opinions about the above, and I am also curious as I am planning to grab one of these, and would like to hear from people about how ergonomically arranged all those buttons on the regular Naga actually are.

I have regular sized hands and use a palm mouse grip for the most part. I was concerned about not reaching the back row of buttons but honestly had little trouble reaching them. The mouse to me was much smaller than it looked online as well. I was also worried about it not having the ability to change DPI settings on the fly. Fortunately you can. You just have to setup different DPI settings and bind each setting to a specific button. This doesn't do much for SWTOR but is great for FPS's. Kindof surprised they didn't promote that ability.

It takes some getting used to. For me the 10-12 buttons are especially difficult to reach. I have to either change the position of my hand on the mouse or bend my thumb into an uncomfortable position to reach them. Still, I would rather have all of them available. I put things I don't need to use in every fight at the back.

Cool. Ya my hands are rather small, but I am fairly decent with moving them into awkward positions and have ok position memory so I guess I'd be alright with the regular Naga. Kind of thinking those 6 buttons may not really do the job, even with modifiers.

Thanks guys.

Kind of thinking those 6 buttons may not really do the job, even with modifiers.

Thanks guys.

I regret buying the Naga Hex now... Thank you... :(

That sucks... see if you can take it back. Stores are more willing to do credit for higher price items than they are for giving refunds.

the hex is fine. just don't bind a bunch of abilities to it, use it to bind modifiers instead. my naga has 3 buttons set to control, shift, and alt. i use those as modifiers to bind my abilities.

for instance, naga 1 is for the bottom row abilities, naga 2 is for the right bar abilities, naga 3 is for the left bar of abilities. then you can create a few macros if you want too.

That sucks... see if you can take it back. Stores are more willing to do credit for higher price items than they are for giving refunds.

I don't wanna bother with all that. But thanks tho. :) I have had it for about a month now so i don't want to get rid of it yet. :) But i will buy the Naga Molten when my Hex dies :D Hopefully it will pass away soon.. I like to kill my electronics instead of selling them when i find out they suck balls :)

the hex is fine. just don't bind a bunch of abilities to it, use it to bind modifiers instead. my naga has 3 buttons set to control, shift, and alt. i use those as modifiers to bind my abilities.

for instance, naga 1 is for the bottom row abilities, naga 2 is for the right bar abilities, naga 3 is for the left bar of abilities. then you can create a few macros if you want too.

This is actually a great idea :)! Thank you!!

When I push the "2" button on my Naga I do a series of attacks, timed correctly for ability cooldowns, channel time, etc, that kills a strong mob with that one button press.

Why don't you just watch someone else play the game?

Not saying its cheating...well you're cheating yourself out of what little challenge there is in this game. To each his own, sounds boring to me though. I like being in the fight, managing my cooldowns, activating that next attack so it flows smoothly.

Besides, I'd just be embarrassed to play TF2 with an MMO mouse.

Did I mention that my RAT 7 has a pinky rest?

I use the 12-button SWTOR branded Naga. I love it. I almost never hit the wrong button. (Less often than I hit the wrong keyboard key.)

I use the first 6 buttons for abilities all the time. I use only 1 of the last 6 buttons regularly.

Then again, that's on a Consular healer with a relatively small list of skills. Now that I'm playing my Knight more, I think I might have to use more of the buttons.

I tried a Naga about a month ago and it was too small for me.

About 10 days ago I got a Naga Epic which is larger and so for me feels more comfortable.

The first 3-4 days were painful. It was frustrating and I was having little fun. I hooked up the little training things to the buttons (5 and 11) and now I have finally started getting used to this layout.

Its very useful as I now have control of 36 mouse buttons. (ALT, Shift)

I would NOT get the SWTOR mouse as its an EPIC but without the changeable grips. I also don't make use of the cordless function either.

Did I mention that my RAT 7 has a pinky rest?

Naga Epic comes with 3 right side size mods. The largest rests you two right fingers (including the pinky of course). One is good for using the pinky as a side grip if people like that. I used to use that one but mmo's are much more relaxing less twitchy so I use the full hand rest on top option now.

I am now totally used to the Naga setup and any fewer buttons now would mess my world up.

Edited by Tamanous

• 1 month later...
Hi all! Im having some SERIOUS big issues with my Razer Naga Hex mouse. The problem is that when i bind my side buttons to SwTor abilities they reset after some time :S It's hard to explain, sry. I bind all 1-6 buttons to various abilities and after some time they just reset. For example: When i press 4. I move left. Instead of using "Cloak of Pain" ability. :( It still says "4" on the ability. Please help me someone! :(

Could it be that it changed the mode from basic [123] (using the 1,2,3 keys] to the keypad mode (using the 1,2,3 on the numeric keyboard) where 4, would also mean "move left" ??

Might be worth checking out.