Ram

Curson

Is there a way we can get SWTOR to run without devouring RAM like it is now? Is there a way we can dump memory more often in order to reseolve this? I cannot add for RAM on my ASUS laptop so I'm stuck at 4 gb which has never been a problem until now.

*BUMP*

It's unbeleivable the game will eat up all the RAM to the extent there isn't enough left to shut the game down properly (having to do a Hard shutdown of the PC isn't a good thing in my opinion).

It's a nice idea to not have to reload an area twice in the same day, but couldn't a limit of 70% RAM been set and then offload, unlike the 96% I'm experiencing evertime I play the game?

I agree and am glad I'm not the only one with this issue. I have mostly fixed it by going into the client files some more and pretty much turning my game on the absolute worst graphics possible for performance, as well as ending any and all applications running in the background, AND setting my OS to maximum performance, thus making my OS look very ugly lol.

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't noticed the issue, then again I have loads of DDR3. Anyway, you could expand your virtual memory. However, if you have an SSD and wanna save space then I'd recommend not putting this too high. I have my virtual memory on 0 since I have tons of RAM and an SSD, but you have different needs.

When I first got the game I had 2 GB of ram. I hadn't upgraded in ages, didn't need to. The game ran horribly, load times were outrageous and after about an hour of in game time everything would come to a grinding halt. I upgraded to 4 gb (max, 32 bit OS) and it ran much better, however if I play for more than 3 hours I still need to use task manager to shut the game down and restart my computer. The game consumes far too much ram.

I'm running it on XP with 2 gigs.

They have significantly improved most of the memory leaks but there is indeed still something eating some RAM somewhere.

Having said that, the only issue I run into anymore that is frustrating is when I close the game after long play sessions it takes about 4 minutes for the game to actually shut down and return me to my desk top.

The way I avoid this is by alt-f4 after logging out to the character screen.

Edited by Sparklehorse

Right click on computer, go to properties, advanced system settings, advanced tab, click the settings button under performance, and there you could set your virtual memory. This works for Windows 7 I'm not sure about other operating systems.

Right click on computer, go to properties, advanced system settings, advanced tab, click the settings button under performance, and there you could set your virtual memory. This works for Windows 7 I'm not sure about other operating systems.

The page file is simply a file on your hard drive that holds infrequently used memory that used to be in RAM but was moved to make room. If the total system memory requirement exceeds the total RAM and page file size, then things start to blow up.

I'd suggest letting Windows handle the page file. Memory management has been studied for a long, long time and is a core component of any operating system. The OS has tons more information than the user to go off of, so let it do what it wants to do.

Part of the answer to the OP's question is related to memory management. I don't have much insight into the exact total virtual memory (RAM plus page file usage) SWTOR uses, but in general, high RAM usage does not necessarily imply something bad. In fact, unused RAM is wasted RAM. The game may be pre-loading game assets to keep RAM usage high and to lessen loading times. Or the OS may be doing something special.

Where you really run into slowness is when the game's memory requirements start to exceed the total RAM you have. Then parts of the game data have to be swapped to and from the hard drive as they become (un)used, which is exceedingly slow.

Edited by FunkyMo

Is this ram issue affecting everyone? Because I don't seem to have it (and I only have 4gigs). I have numerous other windows open as well when I play, most notably Firefox with about 30 website tabs opened.

I don't even have much swap space left either...main harddrive is down to 10gigs. I really need to clean things out!

Maybe it's an issue with certain versions of Windows? 32-bit vs. 64-bit? I use 64-bit Win 7.