Can you 'Solo' Flashpoints?

Lankybrit

Hi,

I ran my first Flashpoint last night. It was on my level 14 character and we did Essles. It was really fun, but got me to thinking. When you're high enough level, with a companion, you could probably solo Flashpoints to grind out Commendations etc., and for fun, and a bit of profit.

So, can you queue for a Flashpoint by yourself and go in with your companion?

Also, what levels do you think are right to try soloing Essles and Hammer Station?

Thanks.

Sure, just level up a bit then go and talk with the guy just outside the Esseles fp portal... He will give you the quest and let you in ^^

I'd say 18-19 to solo Esseles.. Can't really remember what level HS is :( Maybe you can try soloing it at 23-24 but I can't recall honestly.

Edited by _Metalheart_

Hi,

I ran my first Flashpoint last night. It was on my level 14 character and we did Essles. It was really fun, but got me to thinking. When you're high enough level, with a companion, you could probably solo Flashpoints to grind out Commendations etc., and for fun, and a bit of profit.

Also, what levels do you think are right to try soloing Essles and Hammer Station?

Thanks.

HS can be soloed at 25 easily by a sorc with Khem.

In general, flashpoints get harder to solo as you go along. The first one that gets tricky to solo would be Cade, if you don't know how to handle the boss. It's possible to solo Boarding Party but you need to be careful with the bosses. Not sure if any of them are soloable after that.

Some, like Colocoid, probably shouldn't be soloed.

Keep in mind, by the time you're high enough level to solo a FP you probably won't have much use for any of the items that drop (although I suppose others might), and you won't get much (or any) exp. However, it IS a handy way to earn your light/dark points fairly quickly since you can repeat them every day. Black Talon (imp) can be soloed in about 10-15 minutes and give you 200 light/dark points.

Keep in mind, by the time you're high enough level to solo a FP you probably won't have much use for any of the items that drop (although I suppose others might), and you won't get much (or any) exp. However, it IS a handy way to earn your light/dark points fairly quickly since you can repeat them every day. Black Talon (imp) can be soloed in about 10-15 minutes and give you 200 light/dark points.

I'm thinking of:

1. Commendations to get lockboxes (hopefully to get some good gear for my alts)

2. Light side points

3. Some credits

Sound good?

Cheers.

Edited by Lankybrit

Esseles can be soloed pretty much at level. I tried yesterday with my Scoundrel (Sawbones) and Corso tanked just fine. I was 11 when I went in and leveled to 12 during the flashpoint, but I know many have said they could do it at 10 (might be easier for some classes, depending on companions and abilities).

On my trooper (Commando/Medic), I duo-ed pretty almost everything with my friend (Vanguard tank). The only one we haven't figured out is Colicoid, since it looks like you kinda need people on all turrets or you get knocked off the turret and overwhelmed. For the 49-50 normals, we started taking DPS along because they are dreadfully boring otherwise.

The advantage of soloing at level is that you learn your class to a greater extent than by grouping. With 4 people, flashpoints are trivial even if you are a little low for them, so you don't need to be creative with class mechanics or push yourself.

The other thing is that you can gear your companions nicely and grab some extra moddable gear for looks.

I'm not saying it's necessarily preferable to grouping (many advantages there too), but it's a valid playstyle for some people and I'm one of those who enjoy it.

I started soloing some last night. As stated, by the time you can solo you don't get much/any XP from it. But you do get

- credits (a few, never hurts)

- items to sell, more credits

- Orange items : note these will be bound, so if you can't use them, you can't pass them on. I did get a couple good for my companions, once I changed the mods on them.

- Commendations drop off some elites, etc

But mostly I do it to take the time to look around. So many people just want to rush through. When I solo I can take my time, look, investigate, etc. :)

Isn't there a bit is Esseless that requires two consoles to be activated to enable the Big Droid? Do they have to be done simultaneously?

That's a hidden boss....you don't need to kill it to actually finish the flashpoint

Yes, no, and true.

Yes, you do need to use two consoles to activate that boss.

No, they don't have to be done simultaneously, but the timer for hittiing them is pretty short (maybe 3 seconds?). The consoles are (probably) too far apart to run from one to the next before the timer on the first runs out. Dunno if a player with sprint can run between them quickly enough. Pretty sure you can't do it at "normal" run speed.

But that boss is optional, so you can complete the FP without activating/defeating him. Though you will miss a chance at an orange drop if you skip him.

Edited by Adric_the_Red

That's a hidden boss....you don't need to kill it to actually finish the flashpoint

Is that hidden boss by any chance "ISS-994 Power Droid"? I ask this because he drops this awesome looking (hooded) robe for Consulars (http://www.torhead.com/item/dBOh6h6/esseles-consulars-robe)

Was planning to solo Esseles this evening to get that, but if you need two people to access him...

Bit off-topic, but if anyone knows about any other hooded robes (light armor) don't hesitate to let me know.

He may want orange items for their looks, plus you can make a modest amount of credits via vendoring gear and gathering professions. Plus it can be fun and challenging.

Hi,

Thanks.

You sure can. At level 10 I was able to go in solo on my Sith Sorcerer and do Black Talon with just me and Khem Val. I healed Khem while he tanked and did most of the damage. Once enemies are grey on your their accuracy drops off substationally and they have a hard time hitting you, so it's quite easy to just wade in and solo a low level flashpoint on a higher level character.

the reason why people don't farm lower level flashpoints for commendations and and gear to sell and stuff is because there is almost always a flashpoint you can do at your current level that requires a group to do, that gives far better rewards than a flashpoint you've already outleveled.

I can solo low lvl FP's e.g. Foundy. But I dont do it for the gear. I mostly run low lvl players and help them get gear. I do it to help other's and gain some social points. It is almost a waste of time to solo a low lvl FP since the gear that drops is (i hope) inferior and cant even be sold unless to a vendor (since it binds on pickup) As for the credits, again not nearly enough to consider a solo.

I believe Flashpoints use a drop table instead of certain mobs dropping certain items. So basically you can get your equipment from anything you kill in the flashpoint, though Bosses are more likely to drop stuff.

That means its okay if you can't fight certain secret bosses.

Hi,

Thanks.

I think I soloed Black talon which is a level 10 fp at level 15 on my juggernaught.

• 1 year later...
Yes, you do need to use two consoles to activate that boss.

No, they don't have to be done simultaneously, but the timer for hittiing them is pretty short (maybe 3 seconds?). The consoles are (probably) too far apart to run from one to the next before the timer on the first runs out. Dunno if a player with sprint can run between them quickly enough. Pretty sure you can't do it at "normal" run speed.

I tried, and even with Force Speed, you can't run between them fast enough (Force Speed runs out about halfway across), and the activation time on a speeder keeps you from getting all the way across before the timer runs out. If I could just train my companion to push buttons... ;)

I'm thinking of:

1. Commendations to get lockboxes (hopefully to get some good gear for my alts)

2. Light side points

3. Some credits

Depending on your level, the credits may not be a big draw. However, some of the drops may be worthwhile, even significantly overleveled; running Esseles on four characters, three of them got a bind-on-equip purple grade-2 Mod (i.e., Reflex Mod 2) among the usual pre-bound blue and orange gear, which can go for a moderate chunk of change on the GTN.

The other thing that an outleveled flashpoint is good for is affection points with your companion; I got something like 280 affection with Khem Val running Black Talon with my level 28 Sorceror. One warning, though, the devs apparently only generated affection gains from conversations based on the companions that you would have had when you were in level for the FP -- I ran Esseles twice with my 26 Trooper, first with M1-4X (who you don't get until the end of Nar Shaddaa in your mid-20s, well beyond Esseles' level), and then with Aric, and none of my conversation choices gave me any affection with M1-4X, while virtually all of them did with Aric.

Yes quite a lot of FP's can be soled later. Esseless (without the bonus droid), hammer, athiss, mando, tara V, cademiu are all not to difficult to solo, if your lvl is high enough. It doesn't really makes sense though, unless you want to bring someone around to gear him up.