The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Bioware ... ARE you SURE you were not telling a Fib when you said empire wins 53%?

Trushott

You are right with the exception of one thing. You are assuming that the empire is playing an equal number of matches against the republic as it does itself. If it is as many sith players described, 5 or 6 empire v empire matches for every 1 empire v republic the figures would be closer to:

1000 imp v rep 800 wins for imp

5000 imp v imp for 5000/5000 split

With those numbers its 5800/5200 which is 5800/11000 or 52.7 %

I stated in my post at the end we are making up numbers, but I have read on quite a few sites that the average seems to be roughly 2 to 1 favoring the imps when averaged out across all servers. which to me is much more believable than 6 to 1.

So I based my numbers off that 2 to 1. and until actual population numbers are released, it is all speculation.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if they were purposefully vague when they gave out statistics or didn't think it actually needed an explanation. Honestly I don't know whether to take the statement at face value and assume that there actually are servers where the Republic dominate in war zones (which is likely given that I hear people troll about it all the time) or to go with the assumption that they are using skewed math. I wouldn't find either hard to believe but considering they have avoided giving out any real data about this I'm going to assume it's a stall tactic to buy them time to try and fix it.

I honestly assume they are looking at Wins/Total matches. If this is the case then the empire to empire matches are very significant because they automatically draw the average closer to 50%. That's simply how an average works. I would be very interested in seeing empire vs. republic win loss statistics released for all of the servers. I would assume this is coming with the advent of ranking but you know what they say about assuming. Honestly it's in biowares best interest to hide the real data and base ranking off of some indecipherably assigned number.

I find "Empire wins 50% of the time" a very believable figure.

On the server I'm on, 70% of the games are Huttball, out of those 90% are Empire vs Empire. In other words, in most matches I play, Empire wins. Mayne not MY Empire team, but other team is Empire too.

Shady math if that's how they came by that number. Very shady indeed.

I find "Empire wins 50% of the time" a very believable figure.

On the server I'm on, 70% of the games are Huttball, out of those 90% are Empire vs Empire. In other words, in most matches I play, Empire wins. Mayne not MY Empire team, but other team is Empire too.

QFT

This also happens on my server.

And most often the other games already start with 4-5 Reps during like the initial 2-3 minutes of the match which is also a good handicap.

QFT

This also happens on my server.

And most often the other games already start with 4-5 Reps during like the initial 2-3 minutes of the match which is also a good handicap.

This too, I find myself often joining warzones not finished with 4 republics, against 8 imperials.....

Shady math if that's how they came by that number. Very shady indeed.
Fill in the blank: lies, damned lies and _________.

Let's work with the following data:

n1 Rep / Rep matches

n2 Imp / Rep matches, of which the Imps win n2i matches giving a win rate of n2i/n2 = x% of cross-faction games

n3 Imp / Imp matches

Now, what most players are interested in, I assume, is the value of the variable x. However, when reporting the win rate for the imperial side, there are several ways one could interpret "the win rate" and thus there are ways of fudging your results.

1. Cross-faction match win probability

Question: "If the warzone is a cross-faction game, how likely is it that the imperials win?"

Answer: n2i/n2 = x.

2. Faction side warzone win probability

Question: "If an imperial player joins a warzone, what's the probability that he will win?"

Answer: (0.5*n3 + x*n2)/(n2+n3)

3. Global warzone faction win probability

Question: "Of all warzones played, how many are won by the imperials?"

Answer: (n3 + x*n2)/(n1+n2+n3)

To exemplify, let's use the following data:

100 Rep / Rep matches

1000 Rep / Imp matches, 800 won by imperials for a win rate of 80%

5000 Imp / Imp matches

Reported probabilities:

1: 80% (800/1000 = 0.8 = 80%)

2: 55% ((0.5*5000 + 0.8*1000)/(1000+5000) = 3300/6000 = 0.55 = 55%)

3: 95% ((5000 + 0.8*1000)/(100+1000+5000) = 5800/6100 ≈ 0.95 = 95%)

Doing the same calculations but for the republic side:

1: 20% (200/1000 = 0.2 = 20%)

2: 23% ((0.5*100 + 0.2*1000)/(100+1000) = 250/1100 ≈ 0.23 = 23%)

3: 5% ((100 + 0.2*1000)/(100+1000+5000) = 300/6100 ≈ 0.05 = 5%)

So, yeah, if I wanted to make the game look balanced, I know which metric I would use. Note though that the most "fudged" answer (option 2) doesn't sum up to 100% for imp win chance plus rep win chance. Maybe people should ask Bioware for how many games the Republic side wins :p

Imperial Perks.

What?

Classes are not mirrored.

Wut?

Not to mention all the advantages.

Seriously. What?

I really have no idea what you're talking about. All classes are balanced, there are no perks, there are no advantages. It's the player that changes the tide, NOT the class.

Edited by reaperkeepet

The results which you have had in the few warzones on your server which you have been in (no matter how many it's still a minority on the server as a whole), at the time which you play do not reflect the overall win rate across all players on all servers in all timezones.

Ajunta Pall has a solid Republic side. Off the top of my head I would say my win rate against Empire is probably around 80%. I don't queue with a pre-made either, always solo. Sounds like some people just got dealt a bad hand (players).

Kill them. Sorcs are incredibly squishie and can't do much in PvP. The real classes that dominate PvP are the melee Agents/Smugglers

HAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAH **** HAHAHAHAHAHAAHHA

Damn girl, that line of crap is so dense it brought tears to my eyes. bravo.

Personally I've won probably about 90% of my games at 50 vs Empire, however my server is Rep heavy & the imps only have one player that is considered fearsome. My server is one of the newer ones, hence why there is only 1 battle master on it. But imps lose all the time... When they que.