How hot is a Core i7 supposed to get?

Wrevan

Yikes! That's too high OP!

Check your CPU Thermal Paste. Go and get some good stuff and reapply and see if that changes your temps.

Your CPU shouldn't get that hot, even with full video editing software pushing it to the max. Let us know what you do to resolve the issue.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

It's closed off gaming laptop. Yes, it will be hot. You cannot avoid it.

With laptops, you can get the cooling fan equipped table thing for laptops, but there's not much other you can do about heating. So small package will heat up, period. That can't be avoided. It is the most major issue that stands between laptops and latest end parts.

Your only hope is, that it was made properly to withstand the heat, and if it does not, then it's warranty related matter. Don't worry though. Modern parts withstand heat very well, but you could call the shop you bought it from and inquire about the matter. If it would melt in gaming or normal use, that's not your fault to the slightest, and you are entitled to get a new one.

Edited by Rethan

2670QM is a mobile processor so it's likely on a laptop, which makes reseating the cooler a whole lot more difficult.

This particular CPU's maximum temperature rating is 100 degrees C.

The laptop still should probably be running cooler. Avoid using it on your lap (irony detected), or on any soft surface (bed, blanket, couch, etc...). Maybe look into a cooling pad or dock. Check to make sure the fan ports aren't full of cat hair or dust, or something.

Go to a hardware forum not a game forum for hardware advice. ;)

I have an i7 2670QM in my Asus laptop as well. I'll check the temps on that and report back.
Thanks, do that and let me know! I used Core Temp and played for about 30 minutes, with graphics maxed out (except AA) on the Windows' default "Balanced" power setting. Edited by Wrevan

Is it a prebuilt computer, like a dell or whatever? If so just get an aftermarket cooler, like a Coolermaster Hyper 212 for like $25 and install it.

It might take some time doing, because you have to affix a metal bracket on the bottom of the motherboard, but its well worth it.

Best 25 $ I EVER invested in a compter part.

Hey, recently I found out that you cant compare cpu temperatures without other factors that drastically affect them.

That's a shocking revelation.

I know I had cooling paste and fan on correctly but something had to be wrong.

At the end I found out that with different power supply positioning there was nothing taking out the CPU heat from the case. So I added another fan to the back of my case and I got to correct temperatures.

You build computers for your friends, but you didn't include an exhaust fan on your own? Are you saying that you've been using the PSU as your exhaust fan all this time? Do you hate PSUs or do you just love inefficiency? Any recent PSU made by a respectable company has not been designed to act as the exhaust for a case.

This is basic stuff. You need to do more research.

Anyway, make sure You have GOOD air flow in and out of the chassis.

You don't need GOOD air flow, you just need sane airflow. That means you usually want one intake and one exhaust. I run two intakes at 600rpm (for the lower noise) and one exhaust at 700rpm. That's more than enough to keep an loaded i7-2600K at 4.5GHz under 65C.

Of course, the OP is in a different situation, as he's quite obviously using a laptop. Just look at the model number of the CPU in his original post.

Still, you were mostly right with your assessment of the temperature. Especially with laptops, you can run right up to the thermal limit without too much risk of damage. They are, after all, designed that way, as you don't have the same abilities to cool them.

However, I will say that all of the i7-26xx laptops I have seen were using a unified heat sink for the CPU and GPU. In this configuration, the CPU temperature reporting via the motherboard would be biased by the GPU temperature. If both were running hot, you might end up seeing a reported temperature that was something like the average temperature of the two of them. If that is the case, then 81C isn't so bad, assuming that the exhaust doesn't get blocked.

cooling fins cake up with dust so fast even in a clean house. unplug everything, open the case, and get a can of compressed air. you may even need to use a dry q-tip to move the dust - you'd be surprised how much that will make your system heat up

edit NM

Edited by Baracca

So I just got a new comp just for this, and while it runs awesome (and the game looks simply great on max in 1080) I noticed my CPU hitting 81C :eek:

It's a 2670QM @2.2OGHz. Anyone with the same/similar CPU know if it's supposed to get this hot during gameplay?

EDIT: It's a mobile CPU with Intel's "Switchable Graphics" deal paired with a Radeon 6970 (that runs cooler than the CPU even though I'm not using the Intel GPU!) Idles at a 50C average.

I also have an i7. Mines an i7 extreme (4 physical, 8 logical cores) @ 3.3 gig.

The processor usage spikes up and down wildly while im in game but never goes past around about 40% (and by spikes, I mean it looks like a heart monitor, constant troughs and peaks). Having said that it frequently ends up being ~80C while running TOR.

I find this really really strange since I can multitask with programs, games and jobs which are far more stressful, using far more of the processors clocktime (even 100% constant) and it gets nowhere near that temperature. Its purely when I run TOR and I have no idea why. My graphics card on the other hand gets nowhere near that hot.

Granted my problem probably isn't the same as yours as you have a laptop which is probably why its getting so hot.

I just thought it was strange.

Edited by aimbotcfg

You build computers for your friends, but you didn't include an exhaust fan on your own? Are you saying that you've been using the PSU as your exhaust fan all this time? Do you hate PSUs or do you just love inefficiency? Any recent PSU made by a respectable company has not been designed to act as the exhaust for a case.

This is basic stuff. You need to do more research.

Yea well for someone who doesnt work with PCs every day, just like a hobby it was new information to me. I prefer finding out stuff myself.

Anyway PSU worked like a charm. It aint overheating or anything and it does the job taking the heat out. Ive had my previous PSU for 3 years without any problems. Why adding more exhaust in the case when this works perfectly well?

I did just enough research to know what is right and what is wrong. I know that after playing whole day SWTOR 50° on full and PSU being cold means that there is no need to add any other fan in the case (unless you want to keep the temperature even lower which is imo waste, 50 is perfectly fine under full load)

You get smarter with ever step :) I aint sayin Im pr0, but its cheaper by 1/3 if I build it for em, than buying it straight from some distributor completed already.

I know you all try to help, but guys, some of you please learn to read.

So I just got a new comp just for this, and while it runs awesome (and the game looks simply great on max in 1080) I noticed my CPU hitting 81C

It's a 2670QM @2.2OGHz. Anyone with the same/similar CPU know if it's supposed to get this hot during gameplay?

EDIT: It's a mobile CPU with Intel's "Switchable Graphics" deal paired with a Radeon 6970 (that runs cooler than the CPU even though I'm not using the Intel GPU!) Idles at a 50C average.

Repasting it with the correct amount of proper thermal paste will get the temperatures down, but since it is a new PC there is a warranty.

So the OP can RMA it and ask them to fix their thermal paste mess. (If you bought it at a local shop where they got their own technicians they might do it for you too without you loosing any warranty)

I would also highly recommend one of the cooling pad solutions for laptops.

Edited by Mineria

I know you all try to help, but guys, some of you please learn to read.

Repasting it with the correct amount of proper thermal paste will get the temperatures down, but since it is a new PC there is a warranty.

So the OP can RMA it and ask them to fix their thermal paste mess.

I would also highly recommend one of the cooling pad solutions for laptops.

This is the best advice I think. I'll admit I missed the M in the CPU model. I would start with the cooling pad (which I use on my laptop) and if it doesn't improve then RMA it.

My i7 never gets about 50c

not sure if its the paste or just a crappy fan/heatsink

when I first built my computer I didnt have a very good heatsink and saw very very high temps.

Went with a $99 water cooled system and have never been above 50 since

My i7 never gets about 50c

not sure if its the paste or just a crappy fan/heatsink

when I first built my computer I didnt have a very good heatsink and saw very very high temps.

Went with a $99 water cooled system and have never been above 50 since

Which water cooled system do You use for Your LAPTOP? :)

Core i7 2600k clocked at 4.5ghz , never goes beyond 50 degree's really when playing sw:tor

idle it sits around 33-36

same here but without overclock and just a heatsink w/o fan as the cpu cooler.

Edit: oh ya the OP says he has a laptop when the processor name has an M after its model name hur dur

Edited by Vgyer

Well, I didn't know they made i7 cores with only 2.2 Ghz processors.

The recommended for this game is 2.4 Ghz.

Are you sure it's an i7 or that it's only 2.2 Ghz?

In any case, considering the recommended specs, it's not strange that your gpu is working overtime if it's only a 2.2 Ghz

I've never measured, but when I'm playing on my laptop, something is getting warmer than 70F. The fan in my computer is blowing out air that is little bit warmer than what is coming out of the vents in my apt, which is set to 70F, so something in my computer is at least 70F.

I have an i7 and a graphics card, and I think it's mostly the card, though. When I played the game on the integrated graphics, it was a little bit cooler.

Well, I didn't know they made i7 cores with only 2.2 Ghz processors.

The recommended for this game is 2.4 Ghz.

Are you sure it's an i7 or that it's only 2.2 Ghz?

In any case, considering the recommended specs, it's not strange that your gpu is working overtime if it's only a 2.2 Ghz

The recommendation is 2.4 on a DUAL core system. An i7 is a QUAD core system, so the 2.2 is more than enough.

And yes, they make them. My laptop is an i7 with 2.2ghz. The particular chip was just released in October or November.

Edited by pocketthesaurus