The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Are Marauders really THAT bad?

itate

Because for my alt I want to make a melee dps class and none of the other classes appeal to me like this one does but if it's a waste of time then why bother ya know?

Any suggestions if they really are god awful?

No Marauders are not bad. Our main problem is Ability Delay from the Hero Engine and some of our important skills not functioning properly.

This, it is frustrating and as much as players normally get better at using skills, picking fights etc, this is even more so true for the Marauder. However, eventually you "get used" to the ability delay which is good and bad. Storyline is sweet though and if this ability delay is one day resolved, well then I chose the diamond in the rough/or is it ruff? Going with rough.

Marauders are not bad. They suffer greatly from the ability delay(seriously, spamming predation for 10+ seconds is not acceptable). They're also the most complex class to play right now, having to micromanage a lot of things all at once, for newer players, or less adept players, this can be daunting and challenging and can make the class seem bad.

This, I know your pain.

I know as well. Not only is it bad in PvP, but it's horrible in 16 man ops. 8man ops or regular PvE, I get no lag and I mash buttons fine, but anymore than that, the mad UI lag is horrible.

Anyway, IMO if you don't want major issues with a few skills, our lag, and more QQing about looks, roll Concealment (melee) operative. If you are willing to find ways and deal with our issues, roll Marauder, it's definitely worth it. If they ever do help out our class, it will be even more worth it in the future.

Because for my alt I want to make a melee dps class and none of the other classes appeal to me like this one does but if it's a waste of time then why bother ya know?

Any suggestions if they really are god awful?

No they are not bad at all, but the people that can't play them to their potential are so embarrassed that they feel the need to come on the forums and QQ saying that the class is broken.

Like others have said, a couple of abilities have a "delay" where they seem to not work when you activate them, the one I notice the most is Retaliation.

But overall the class is a freakin beast.

Enjoy the bloodshed!

No they are not bad at all, but the people that can't play them to their potential are so embarrassed that they feel the need to come on the forums and QQ saying that the class is broken.

Like others have said, a couple of abilities have a "delay" where they seem to not work when you activate them, the one I notice the most is Retaliation.

Enjoy the bloodshed!

Huh? Retaliation works perfectly on my Marauder. Maybe you can't play your Marauder to its potential and are so embarrassed that you felt the need to come on forums and QQ saying that retaliation is broken.

I do not have the ability delay problem so in my opinion marauders are just fine and tons of fun. We are a bit squishy but if cool downs are used right its not really a big deal.

Aroun lvl 30 they really start to hit hard. I love mine and enjoy it tons.

My only annoyance really is when force charge puts you in weird positions. Like yesterday on the pylons in ev i would force leap to an add and only cover half the distance lol.

Enjoy the bloodshed!

The retaliation one is because , despite it being off the gcd, it wont 'fire' as such until the previous animation is finished, without a combat log , its difficult to tell, but I think that it does actually register the damage when it should, then plays the animation when the previous one is finished.

The retaliation one is because , despite it being off the gcd, it wont 'fire' as such until the previous animation is finished, without a combat log , its difficult to tell, but I think that it does actually register the damage when it should, then plays the animation when the previous one is finished.

Mine always fires and just skips it's animation that i can tell. I also do this with my cc. I will force leap as soon as the cast bar finishes and skip shooting the bolt at it.

I also could have not noticed my retaliation working/not working as intended cause I was not really worrying about it but i def did not notice a problem.

My only issues are with force leap throwing me in front of the boss instead of behind or only half way to the boss.

There is a good deal of balancing that needs to be done in regard to damage types and Marauder survivability.

In PvE the results vary drastically depending on your target and your ability to manage cool downs. Some fights that was enough. Others it wasn't.

So the class isn't that bad but there are some aspects that do need to be looked at by the devs a bit.

Edited by Xeres-

Marauders are terrible. Everything about the class, except our defensive cooldowns, is just godawful. From the design to the techincal side of the class. Half our abilities don't work and the other half suck ***. Edited by Tyestor

Marauders are terrible. Everything about the class, except out defensive cooldowns, is just godawful. From the design to the techincal side of the class. Half our abilities don't work and the other half suck ***.

Looks like we found another that is unable to play the class correctly.:D

Huh? Retaliation works perfectly on my Marauder. Maybe you can't play your Marauder to its potential and are so embarrassed that you felt the need to come on forums and QQ saying that retaliation is broken.

Actually, I stopped using it altogether in PVE(no way in hell I'd use it in PVP). With the ability delay it causes retaliation to constantly reset it's animation. So much so in fact, that I'm more surprised when it works right than when it doesn't now. It happens with other abilities as well, but to a much lesser extent(though I wouldn't call it unnoticeable).

Jump on stmp's stream sometime and watch him use annihilate on people and watch the animation reset at least once before it actually triggers and goes off properly. It's easily 10~20x worse than that for Retaliate.

Edited by xDagurasu

Wow, I am not sure how some of yall do not see the ability delay issues. Are yall using 128k connections or sporting a T1 or better? Are yall using the hot key stacking “option”?

On my SI I almost never see ability delay but on my Mara I see it all the time. Retaliation is really bad at it but there are others and I think another on this thread has it correct, its an issue with the animations combined with the check for distance. I have stood next to a player and hit Retaliation, watch my lightsaber spin but not do damage up to 3 times. At some point I get tired of watching it spin and just move on. I have seen issues with the animations on Retaliation and abilities that are off GCD.

I would love to know your ability rotations for those that do not see ability delays. I do wonder if there is a combo that allows the abilities to work the first time you hit the button.

Wow, I am not sure how some of yall do not see the ability delay issues. Are yall using 128k connections or sporting a T1 or better? Are yall using the hot key stacking “option”?

Ability Delay, is not Latency or low FPS. It is caused by the way the Hero Engine is build.

I hope I don't jinx myself now, but Retaliate is my most reliable ability. I get delays on others, some worse that other, but never on Retal. Smash craps out ALL the TIME though. Ravage just last night became my most broken ability.

To be fair, SI's have some broke @55 abilities too. Maul has got to be one of the most bugged attacks in the game.

Ability Delay, is not Latency or low FPS. It is caused by the way the Hero Engine is build.

This. I'm on 20mbit, with an average ping of 52ms. It's definitely not due to latency. And my fairly high end video card tells me it's not video lag either. It's code-related.

Edited by mrHaterade

It's related to the way ability queuing interacts with the animations, and with the server-side ability validation.

Pressing buttons faster tends to cause it to happen more.

Edit: Actually, I bet it doesn't have much to do with the animations except in a few rare cases.

Edited by EasymodeX