Who Served?

Zibit

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rotten Groton home of the Grotonpotamuses.

QM2/SS 1990-1994 (should have picked a better rating, but at least I knew where we were everyday)

SSN 751 - (Great boat - I read I got off it before they got stupid)

Biggest mistake I ever made was only doing 4.

As rotten as it was in Groton, I sure loved pulling in to home port.

We didn't have any QMs on our boat (Nav ETs now.. or at least when I was in), but we sure met a lot of 'em in bars. Seemed that was the only rate that would try to start it up with us bubbleheads (surface fleet vs bubblehead rhetoric ad vitriol). Our 'A'-gangers loved it. I didn't/don't get the hate between different branches and/or divisions/designations.

I did 5, because there wasn't a 4 year option for my C school guarantee (Goose Creek SC).

It's great seeing so many prior/current military here though. Definitely no other brotherhood that can compare to drills, military grade janitorial training, and blowing stuff up (not that I advocate blowing stuff up needlessly, especially where lives are at stake).

As rotten as it was in Groton, I sure loved pulling in to home port.

We didn't have any QMs on our boat (Nav ETs now.. or at least when I was in), but we sure met a lot of 'em in bars. Seemed that was the only rate that would try to start it up with us bubbleheads (surface fleet vs bubblehead rhetoric ad vitriol). Our 'A'-gangers loved it. I didn't/don't get the hate between different branches and/or divisions/designations.

I did 5, because there wasn't a 4 year option for my C school guarantee (Goose Creek SC).

It's great seeing so many prior/current military here though. Definitely no other brotherhood that can compare to drills, military grade janitorial training, and blowing stuff up (not that I advocate blowing stuff up needlessly, especially where lives are at stake).

When I enlisted I was offered ET, but sadly the recruiter wasn't able to tell me exactly how ETs worked in navigation so I went QM. There were rumors QM was being phased out when I left. I had actually started cross-training in both ET and RM in-port and at sea watch stations.

We always seemed to deploy when the weather was starting to get nice and return right when it was getting bad.

Even today, almost 20 years later, what drives me crazy is what the corporate world considers confidential material or critical/emergency situations. After 10yrs in IT I have a hard time not just walking away when I listen to an executive losing their mind over some of the most minuscule things.

Sure is. And you can't get better janitorial training any where in the world lol.

Usmc / 1371

2006-2010

Where were you stationed? I was in paradise, aka devils a**hole, aka 29 Palms for my 4 years.

Sure is. And you can't get better janitorial training any where in the world lol.

Lol, I remember getting back from running the MSRs and they would still make us sweep and clean our AO before getting some rack time and I was thinking... With all the sweeping and moping us infantry guys do, Im surprised we dont qualify for a combat janitors badge.

Edited by bnzbacca

Where were you stationed? I was in paradise, aka devils a**hole, aka 29 Palms for my 4 years.

I never served, but have been through 29 Palms. You have my sympathies!

I've had a wee glimpse at life in. Spent 1.5 months on a Canadian Coast Guard ice breaker in the high arctic, and downed some beers at the Top of the World Club (Thule AFB, Greenland). Didn't seem to be much more for the kids stationed there to do but drink (ditto the local Danes TBH). Flew out of there on September 10th, 2001. The guys who were there for crew change on our ship got stuck in port for 2-3 weeks the next day.

US Army

11b/c2/1p- Airborne Infantry

1991-1994

U.S. Army 2/505 P.I.R. 82nd Airborne 1993-1998 11B 1V

Rangers Lead The Way! H Minus!

I was in 2/505 from 91 until Nov of 93. SPC Williamson in case you recall names ;).

Edited by IShinmenI

I never did. My grandfather was a Gunnery Sgt. in the Marines and recently passed from cancer at 78. 20 year Marine and was in a lot of the major wars of our time.

Because of him, I have the utmost respect for all of you that served and thank everyone of you from the bottom of my heart for time away from family in service of your country.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.