Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

The "GET QYZEN A MODDABLE TECHBLADE" thread

Phydra

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, the facts:

1. We all know there was a last minute design change to make Qyzen Aim based.

There was no "last minute design change to make Qyzen Aim based."

Qyzen was Aim-based in beta from the moment primary stats were introduced in July.

Qyzen definitely has gear issues, especially a decent weapon and this was a huge problem in my own early leveling. Add a modable orange techblade to corresant's commendation vendor and the problem is solved.

Also, you might want to fix his codex entry that claims his primary weapon is a vibrosword, since it's a techblade. Or maybe that's a bug?

Anyway, we need a fix.

This. Though it is true that updates to mods/commendation-based items would be required as well.

Thanks for the post. :)

From the viewpoint of the developers it is much easier to deal with a companion with an awkward weapon style than with an unusual armor style.

Qyzen is no Jedi. Switching him to use STR would require a totally new set of STR armor that doesn't look Jedi. He is no Jedi, he shouldn't run around in Jedi armor. Adding a few specific weapons is much easier, in particular since his performance doesn't depend much at all on the weapon. He is meant to be a tank foremost and defensive stats depend mostly on armor and shield, not the weapon. If his aggro or damage are sub par, devs can simply tweak his abilities a bit.

Adding moddable gear exclusively for companions is a bad idea as well. Crafters would rarely make those hilts and we don't need more loot drops that almost nobody needs.

I see one possible solution: Level 50 purple commendation gear, requiring 10000 favor, with an aim based hilt that can't be removed, basically as a cap stone item. Should available for all companions but only useable by companions. Crafters wouldn't like it of course.

Edited by Perj

There's a few characters whose appearance doesn't change with armour added. Qyzen's Dark Side equivalent Khem Val, for example. Perhaps Qyzen could be one of those? I get the feeling he looks as odd as if he was fresh from the Republic Army as he would look in a Jedi robe.

Picked up an orange heavy armor robe with hood, my Qyzen is wearing it, and it looks pretty cool. (There's a minor oddity at the bottom edge of the horns sticking out, but the other two edges of each horn look like they were stitched to deal with his unusual head).

Qyzen definitely has gear issues, especially a decent weapon and this was a huge problem in my own early leveling. Add a modable orange techblade to corresant's commendation vendor and the problem is solved.

Also, you might want to fix his codex entry that claims his primary weapon is a vibrosword, since it's a techblade. Or maybe that's a bug?

Anyway, we need a fix.

this is all I want

/signed

The Bounty Hunter companion Torian Cadera has this issue too, didn't realise Imperial Agents have one as well.

At the moment, the problem for me comes down to the fact that we have a companion that can't use modded weapons whereas others can, just for this one lack of aim hilt issue. All I really want is a moddable weapon for these companions regardless of what it is.

Edited by AelixVII

I AGREE . He deserves a fighting chance. Until i read this forum i assumed he will need strength and endurance. What the ... Aim . What a joke? His tech blade should be modify like everyone else . Why he gets the raw end i don't know. Must b the lizard thing.

There's a few characters whose appearance doesn't change with armour added. Qyzen's Dark Side equivalent Khem Val, for example. Perhaps Qyzen could be one of those? I get the feeling he looks as odd as if he was fresh from the Republic Army as he would look in a Jedi robe.

This. Qyzen already doesn't display head or foot gear. And it isn't as if there is a lot of variety in trooper gear anyway. Just give him a fixed appearance (and give him more customizations to compensate) and switch him back to STR.

I don't care if I have to regear him in Strength stuff, since having a melee attacker using Aim is rather backward to me (sure, you can aim a blade, but how much aim do you honestly need when you're right in their face? Cut their dang head off and have done with it!), but having to either pray that there's a techblade with Aim on the GTN or beg my guildmates to keep making him better ones every 5 levels or so is getting old quickly. I would love to use Zenith in Qyzen's place due to this oversight, but unfortunately we just can't kill things quickly enough yet. Edited by Vastalee
removed /signed

Trolling aside, we all know that Qyzen was initially a STR/END tank, so we know the code exists to make him so again.

We also know the current intention is that he be an AIM/END tank, so it is natural to further expect that he will be gearable just as all the other AIM/END companions are and yes, this includes both the availability of at least one orange, moddable weapon as well as related commendation-based upgrades for it.

The request list is pretty simple, despite the efforts of some to over-complicate it.

The baseline ask is simply to put an orange, moddable techblade in the game for the guy and make appropriate commendation upgrades available for use.

As I understand it, this would resolve Qyzen's issue as well as Vik's (who seems to also have suffered from the techblade issue).

Other than our thread's personal "Billy Goat Gruff", I have not heard any players who care about this issue say they much care if this means Qyzen wears a robe, has the appearance of tank-ish armor, or frankly, runs around in a pink, fuzzy bunny outfit. The point is that he should have the same options for play as the other companions.

Glad to see the agreement coming in and may it continue! :)

Actually thats patently false.

Qyzen has always been aim based he was originally a ranged tank.

Somewhere in the development cycle it was decided that using melee weapons fit his traditional viewpoint better then using a blaster rifle. Then he was moved to a vibroblade

which caused a problem due to the fact he's aim and tech based....

Change the stats of barrel/hilts to crystals and vice versa. You can, on a whim switch a crystal from a light saber to a blaster and nothing really changes. You can't switch a +aim barrel to a hilt (why would anyone do that, don't know) but what if the stat on the barrel was on the crystal instead? Now you don't have a whole new inventory of barrel/hilts, because crystals are already interchangeable between any weapon type but barrel/hilts (having the primary stat already that you might prefer) is now interchangeable.

They can change the name of hilts/barrels to something uniform and keep them in the same crew skills they are now. So then you'll have str/willpower from Artifice and cunning/aim on armstech. Suddenly, you can make moddable techblades and everyone is happy.

every other companion save these two are flexible. our pet lizard needs options! the schems we have right now in armstech are great, keep them, add some aim handles. Edited by Vastalee
removed /signed

They can change the name of hilts/barrels to something uniform and keep them in the same crew skills they are now. So then you'll have str/willpower from Artifice and cunning/aim on armstech. Suddenly, you can make moddable techblades and everyone is happy.

Exactly. :) Thank you for the post!

maybe call them power cells or focusing crystals instead?

Power cells makes sickeningly good sense. Very universal idea, can fit both lightsabers and other powered weapons in a generic technology sense. at that point its a simple choice of what stats do you want to buff on your weapon?

and then make Da lizards starter technoblade modifiable, problem solved!

Qyzen is no Jedi. Switching him to use STR would require a totally new set of STR armor that doesn't look Jedi. He is no Jedi, he shouldn't run around in Jedi armor.

While a Wookiee Jedi makes perfect sense. Oh, wait, right, Bowdaar's robes don't show, and he gets a moddable weapon.

/agreed, give QF his orange.

The problem is that the devs *do*, otherwise they would have taken the relatively simple step to make him a Str character than an Aim character. The developers *should* care about the aesthetics of their game.

if the sentinel pvp battlegear is the result of this care, or the sage animations then or... than i would prefere them to not care at all!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.