Unimpressed by this game's story--am I the only one?

Catahoula

Many of the class quests are pretty good, but much of the world quests after the first 2 planets of both factions are blah. Empire has the most interesting world quests on the first 2 planets by far, which is sad.

They must have had 2 different writing teams for the factions, because the quality of empire story is better.

I just wish they had done 100s more class quests per class, than add in the generic world quests. Maybe even made them long, and drawn out per planet.

Edited by Hambunctious

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All right. Let me spell it out for all of you what is off about the class stories.

1) The goals of each class story change with every chapter. I never know what my character's true story goal/motivation is, because it is always shifting. Note: This does not happen in novels or books. It also doesn't happen in Bioware's hit RPGs (such as KOTOR).

Really? SI from lvl 1 is a rags to riches tale. The SW's antagonist is set up barely a moment after you arrive in Korriban (although to be fair the Golden Lvl 50 Elite badge kinda gave that away)

2) The villains likewise change or rotate. Sometimes they just magically go away for a while, to suddenly reappear at random. Note: This does not happen in novels or books. It also doesn't happen in Bioware's hit RPGs (such as KOTOR).

What are you talking about? The disappearing/reappearing villain is a consistently applied plot trick in stories. I could find the pertinent article on tvtropes but instead I'll leave you with KOTOR being all about a disappearing, reappearing villain.

3) Certain turning points present in every novel/movie are missing. Please reference Campbell, Vogler, or even Blake Snyder's "Save the Cat!" book. (See below for a breakdown of KOTOR to the Hero's Journey.)

Not sure what you're referring to in the game here.

4) There is no obvious theme. The theme is the essentially the lesson the protagonist has to learn to finally overcome the big obstacle in his way (the villain). Even KOTOR had a theme. It was redemption.

I disagree in some points. SI's story, for instance, was overwhelmingly about 1 theme - accumulating spiritual power. SW was mostly about Revenge. That said the themes are somewhat simplistic but hey, if I want Dostoevsky, I'll go to Amazon.

5) Because there is no theme, by necessity important plot points from #3 are missing and, even if they weren't, they'd be sorely lacking in any depth. The "Dark Night of the Soul" from the Hero's Journey, for example, not only deals with the protagonist suffering a defeat, but in him finally learning the theme. Before that point, the protagonist has been avoiding learning the theme at all costs. Now he is forced to learn it to overcome the villain in the final fight.

Again I'm not sure what you're referring to, in part perhaps because I played different stories.

---

I wouldn't normally bother dissecting a video game's story like this, if it weren't for Bioware promising us good stories within our PvE. And Bioware is well aware of how to craft a good story. Quite frankly, I am surprised that the very company that produced KOTOR produced these attention-deficit string of class quests. A string of quests does not equal a story.

You exhaustively refer to KOTOR's story and use it as a benchmark for SWTOR. In actual fact I didn't find KOTOR's story that good - sure the plot twist was nicely set up, the antagonists intimidating and the atmosphere very Star Warsy. But that's it. I only replayed it to hear all the back stories and dialogue. KOTOR 2 however was far more detailed. To illustrate the point, which game has a matriarchal antagonist who isn't heavily stereotyped or masculine. And lied to the teeth to you so much that you weren't sure what to believe. Hell Kreia was Video Game's Livia Soprano.

SWTOR's story is definitely lacking in points - I don't find the Smuggler's or Bounty Hunter's story that brilliant (thus far) and certain parts of the better stories dragged on. But hey, not everything can be consistently great and it occupied me for 50 odd levels. Even so, it's still superior to KOTOR's.

Darth Malak, while relentless like Terminator, wasn't much of a bad guy. There was no real motivation for much of what he did except putting his little finger to what was left of his mouth and chuckling. In short he was an idiot and this was explicitly referred to as such in KOTOR 2.

Contrast this with Darth Baras or even Thanaton. Darth Baras has a sound reason for his actions and isn't frustrated because of his lack of intellect. It's mostly because the powers beyond his attention have cottoned on to his schemes and are working against him behind the scenes.

Thanaton's an idiot and should've dropped the ghost a long time ago. But then the reason he doesn't is set up in advance - he has a huge ego and pride to match and by the time he realises that he's way out of his league its too little too late. All that said he still goes down fighting even when he realises that it's all for naught. If anything I end up almost feeling sorry for him by the end (unlike Baras who had a temper tantrum). When Malak died however I simply breathed a sigh of relief.

Your PC in the SW story line is also better handled in the story than Revan. Many characters assume that you're a meathead but there are opportunities to prove them utterly wrong in the sidelines.

For instance the option to send Nomen Karr back to the Jedi Council and get Master Timmns to murder Darth Eckkage is a Sith's wet dream. Moreover you can get Sith Lords and other retainers on your side - e.g. the Nar Shardaa one

Edited by Lexandar

All right. Let me spell it out for all of you what is off about the class stories.

1) The goals of each class story change with every chapter. I never know what my character's true story goal/motivation is, because it is always shifting. Note: This does not happen in novels or books. It also doesn't happen in Bioware's hit RPGs (such as KOTOR).

2) The villains likewise change or rotate. Sometimes they just magically go away for a while, to suddenly reappear at random. Note: This does not happen in novels or books. It also doesn't happen in Bioware's hit RPGs (such as KOTOR).

3) Certain turning points present in every novel/movie are missing. Please reference Campbell, Vogler, or even Blake Snyder's "Save the Cat!" book. (See below for a breakdown of KOTOR to the Hero's Journey.)

4) There is no obvious theme. The theme is the essentially the lesson the protagonist has to learn to finally overcome the big obstacle in his way (the villain). Even KOTOR had a theme. It was redemption.

5) Because there is no theme, by necessity important plot points from #3 are missing and, even if they weren't, they'd be sorely lacking in any depth. The "Dark Night of the Soul" from the Hero's Journey, for example, not only deals with the protagonist suffering a defeat, but in him finally learning the theme. Before that point, the protagonist has been avoiding learning the theme at all costs. Now he is forced to learn it to overcome the villain in the final fight.

There a couple of errors in the way you're thinking. First up, part of the problem you're having is in that you're looking for each Act to be like a chapter in a book, when they're more like their own separate books. That's not to say there can't or shouldn't be a strong overarching story, but not all the class stories necessarily follow that guideline.

Part of the reason for that is that each different class story can really be put into it's own genre category. Playing through the Trooper is like playing an action movie, and as such part 2 is very different in tone/setting/villains than part 1 (much like pretty much any action movie sequel you've ever seen). While I haven't played the Agent, I could probably say the same thing as it relates to a James Bond/spy story. Maybe some things remain the same between acts, but for the most part you're looking at a totally new story. Is that very Star Warsy? No not necessarily, but it does provide plenty of variety in the stories. They aren't all about the heroes journey, nor should they be.

That said, the Jedi Knight storyline pretty much follows your outline of the heroes journey. It has the initial build up of the hero and his companions over time, his eventual defeat at the hands of his enemy, and his overcoming that in order to defeat the one main baddie who's present pretty much throughout the entire story. The only thing I think was lacking was a central theme, but maybe that depends on how you play out the ending. I'm not gonna say it was perfect, but it literally follows the exact outline you said was not in game, which to me says you either don't know what you're talking about or you just disliked it so much that you choose to ignore it.

Regardless, you're talking like that stuff isn't in game at all, when it absolutely is. It isn't present in every story because every story is different. Some of them follow a traditional heroes journey, some of them don't, and that's OK. Just because the Trooper story has more themes in common with the movie "Commando" than it does with KOTOR doesn't make it bad, it just makes it different.

Contrast this with Darth Baras or even Thanaton. Darth Baras has a sound reason for his actions and isn't frustrated because of his lack of intellect. It's mostly because the powers beyond his attention have cottoned on to his schemes and are working against him behind the scenes.

Darth Baras is hopelessly obvious, though, when his apprentice flaunts a blue light saber in front of him and continues to be surprised by his apprentices actions when said apprenitce is lightside.

The writing feels like it is heavily burdened by the amount of variables the game has to cater to (classes, aligments, choices), and rather than weaving an intricate believable story out of it all, it just chooses to ignore a good deal of it and trudges along unfettered by how appropriate the storys layout may or may become when woven together.

Granted, the storytelling they are trying in this game is far more than I've seen attempted previously in MMO's, but it's mere babysteps and pretty crude compared to what one could get from a dedicated single-player titled. The old KoToR stands as a pretty good example of what Bioware CAN acomplish in storytelling of the star wars universe if they set their mind to it and focus on it proper.

I've completed one class story so far: Imperial Agent. I'm sure the OP hasn't completed more than one class story, if even that. I don't think anyone can make a blanket statement about all of the game's story yet since nobody has completed all eight classes.

IMO, the story that I've played so far is pretty good. No, not as deep and engaging as KOTOR, but that is offset by the fact that I have 8 stories to play through, and most importantly there will more story added for in the future.

Isht story is whack and generic as hell.

Loving my class story!!! You are the only one! Well you are probably playing republic...

Very boring MEH!!

I like to be evil!!

MUAHAHA!!

I always thought it was interesting how more people (judging by the great overpopulation of sith) derive enjoyment from killing and evil, rather than saving and good.

I enjoy the Republic storylines because I enjoy good guy stories, but it seems like I am in the minority overall.

I always thought it was interesting how more people (judging by the great overpopulation of sith) derive enjoyment from killing and evil, rather than saving and good.

I enjoy the Republic storylines because I enjoy good guy stories, but it seems like I am in the minority overall.

On the other hand, my sith sorceress tries to avoid killing unless necessary (or the person truly deserves it), while my jedi knight uses violence as her first recourse. :)

Edited by LyriaFrost

I like the main story, but the subquests feels like distractions.

So I'm a bounty hunter. I have to locate and capture some guy before my opponents do. Timing is very important. Great, what's the plan? Oh I know, I'll spend hours retrieving items and killing dozens of gangsters, droids or monsters for some random guy so I can "level up" enough to complete my story quests? That will win me the great hunt for sure!

This is the same feeling I get, but I'm a Trooper. My alt is a BH. I wanna do my Story quest, but I have to do the boring sidequests before I am a high enough level to do the Story quest.

Edited by Darpo-

Let me just start by saying that I really, really wanted to like this game. For once, I felt a game developer realized that I didn't want leveling to be a grind, but an exciting adventure.

Alas, this is not that game developer. I feel as though all the class stories are geared toward the generation that grew up with the Star Wars prequels and suffered from George Lucas's attention-deficit writing--as opposed to those who grew up with the original trilogy and it's sharply-focused plot lines.

I am very shocked to see this coming from the same developer of KOTOR. The irony is, I only played KOTOR while waiting for this game to come out, because people on this forum were raving about it. KOTOR had all the story mechanics of a novel/movie. Alas, these basic mechanics are missing from every class story I have tried thus far in SWTOR. Yes, that includes the Imperial Agent. While the agent is more interesting overall, it still suffers from goals/villains that change with each chapter--as does every other class in this game.

Bottom line, instead of getting story, we got voiceovers. Am I the only one who feels this way? And yes, you prequel-lovers can refrain from answering and enjoy your game. I'm glad you enjoy it! It's just not my cup of tea. Alas, it was a very expensive cup of tea to buy at $60. In fact, I think they sold me coffee instead of the advertised tea. :(

I hate to break this to you but Kotor 1 sucked. Swotor has more going for it.

I am sorry for you expecting too much of an mmo. Since they have to broaden their audience they can't really be smart with the material since certain people can't keep up. Does that make up for the short comings? no. THen again everyone loved Kotor 1 even though it was ANH ripp off (50% roughly)

If anything you should be grateful that Bioware even went this far with the game. I like the Sith warrior's story. Do i expect much from Bioware? no. In all honesty Obsidian's writing is alot more clever by a longshot.

When walking into this game i set my expectations and they were met. Darth Baras is a better sith than Malak the idiot. Do i have to explain why? no. Other people already have. If this game were a single player game and not an mmo then you might have a point. Problem is it isn't.

Is this better than wow? Yes. Is it Better than Kotor 2? no. It will never be simply because of how much of an Art piece it is in comparison to anything else in the starwars universe.

Unless we get Chris Avellone or someone of his calibur writing another starwars game in the future then all starwars games are going to be the same.

For a Bioware game its fine for me. I am happy with what i got.

(ps if only my Kotor 2 defense threads were still here i would give you something to look at as a reference as i have explained the game's plot and characters at least 4 times over different threads)

What did you drink to think kotor 2 was better than the first or tor? =p

And *** Revan's story is a rip off of a new hope? O_o

Anyway, I'm enjoying my Jedi Guardian class story pretty much, also liked some planet's side-quests. Taris was interesting up to a certain point, Hoth was great, Tatooine and Alderaan were good and so on. (Belsavis can burn in hell though!)

Edited by Lightmaguz

The freedom, I think, is a factor... but also the fact you technically play something of an anti-hero as a Sith... at least to Imperials.

The freedom, I think, is a factor... but also the fact you technically play something of an anti-hero as a Sith... at least to Imperials.

Hehe, Sith, anti-hero.... Anyway, you are free to be a truly evil monster as Republic side, so I don't really see the problem. I can only speak to my own motivations, but I like exploring the themes of the dark side, and the nature of the Sith, as well as the themes of the light side and the nature of the Jedi. So I really liked playing both of them.

Hehe, Sith, anti-hero.... Anyway, you are free to be a truly evil monster as Republic side, so I don't really see the problem. I can only speak to my own motivations, but I like exploring the themes of the dark side, and the nature of the Sith, as well as the themes of the light side and the nature of the Jedi. So I really liked playing both of them.

I think you learn more about jedis and their "morality" by observing their behaviour towards you when you play a lightside sith, tbh.

A more biggoted and predjudiced group of individuals you'll be hard pressed to find, is my experience in the game so far.

Light side sith: "I have no quarrel with you, I'll just turn around and walk away."

Jedi: "No way! You're a sith! you should die! rawr!"

Light side sith: "That is not the way of the jedi..."

Jedi: "Who are you to teach us what the way of the jedi are!" <Jedi attacks the lightside sith unprovoked>

I think I've met.... 2 jedi so far that didn't attack me unprovoked but actually agreed to just talk it out. The rest I've met seemed to favour trying to murder me, which is somewhat ironic, given their supposed tie to the light and way of 'peace'...

I think you learn more about jedis and their "morality" by observing their behaviour towards you when you play a lightside sith, tbh.

A more biggoted and predjudiced group of individuals you'll be hard pressed to find, is my experience in the game so far.

Light side sith: "I have no quarrel with you, I'll just turn around and walk away."

Jedi: "Who are you to teach us what the way of the jedi are!" <Jedi attacks the lightside sith unprovoked>

I think I've met.... 2 jedi so far that didn't attack me unprovoked but actually agreed to just talk it out. The rest I've met seemed to favour trying to murder me, which is somewhat ironic, given their supposed tie to the light and way of 'peace'...

You've met two jedi who didn't attack you? Well on my trooper and jedi i've met a total of 0 sith that weren't narcissistic, bloodthirsty a-holes who thought they were invincible and tried to lob my head off before I got two words in.

Put it in perspective. Maybe those Jedi aren't inclined to bargain with you because your light side character is pretty much the only one in the entire Empire? Those two Jedi who did trust you were probably fools, as you could (and usually would, were you a regular Sith) have stabbed them in the back.

You've met two jedi who didn't attack you? Well on my trooper and jedi i've met a total of 0 sith that weren't narcissistic, bloodthirsty a-holes who thought they were invincible and tried to lob my head off before I got two words in.

Put it in perspective. Maybe those Jedi aren't inclined to bargain with you because your light side character is pretty much the only one in the entire Empire? Those two Jedi who did trust you were probably fools, as you could (and usually would, were you a regular Sith) have stabbed them in the back.

The revanites would like to have a word with you.

There are also light side npcs on the empire side, included among force users.

That having been said, there is still no excuse for lightside jedi npc to behave as if they were darkside Sith when faced with people from the opposing faction. Hell, given how jedi behave as soon as they stumble upon empire players, I'd wager the best way to lure a jedi to the dark side is just trotting up and saying "hello" to them, considering how out of control that innocent action seems to turn them.

These guys are supposed to be the epitome of control and selfrestrain, yet the game treats them as murdering psycopaths when facing empire players.

That having been said, there is still no excuse for lightside jedi npc to behave as if they were darkside Sith when faced with people from the opposing faction. Hell, given how jedi behave as soon as they stumble upon empire players, I'd wager the best way to lure a jedi to the dark side is just trotting up and saying "hello" to them, considering how out of control that innocent action seems to turn them.

These guys are supposed to be the epitome of control and selfrestrain, yet the game treats them as murdering psycopaths when facing empire players.

A few things wrong with your little retort there...

1: The Revanites are not Sith, they are neutral (hence the Sith trying to hunt them down)

2: Oh i'm sure there are a few people with consciences in the Empire. None that the JK or Trooper encounter in the field however. One could speculate that the Empire only sends out the most bloodthirsty of its Sith to the frontlines.

3. Murdering psycopaths? Hyperbole much? I'm sure you faced a few dark sided jedi but i'm willing to bet most were just defending themselves against your (very likely) betrayal

Point is, don't look for flaws in the faction where there are none.

A few things wrong with your little retort there...

1: The Revanites are not Sith, they are neutral (hence the Sith trying to hunt them down)

2: Oh i'm sure there are a few people with consciences in the Empire. None that the JK or Trooper encounter in the field however. One could speculate that the Empire only sends out the most bloodthirsty of its Sith to the frontlines.

3. Murdering psycopaths? Hyperbole much? I'm sure you faced a few dark sided jedi but i'm willing to bet most were just defending themselves against your (very likely) betrayal

Point is, don't look for flaws in the faction where there are none.

Wrong.

1: The revanites comes from several different classes, some of those are Sith. And since they try to keep their affiliation hidden from 'regular sith' you wouldn't know one sith revanite from a non-revanite sith just be looking at them unless he told you so.

2: considered that most dark side choices seems to actively hinder the empires capability to gather inteligence (kill anything and anyone just for fun), and that the inteligence network/capabilities of the empire is respected enough to be considered a threat by the republic, I would wager that there's quite a few sith that aren't necesarily front line assault material which are behaving less 'wastefull' with resources.

Questivers encountered as a empire player seems to vary a bit. Some are the archetypical 'evil douchebag' that wants you to commit wars of crime, but there are also some that are just trying to make things work for the better given the situation. One example is on some planet I can't remember the name of, where one questgiver tells you to boobytrap communication devices and plant them on fallen corpses so the republic will gather them. A guy you talk with during the quest explains he's not too hooked on the idea as anyone, kids included, could stumble upon them and try to use a communicator, so you get the option of letting him rig the boobytraps on grenades instead, which only soldiers would be asumed to try and use.

3: Considered the jedi met in the game attempt to murder in cold blood any sith they encounter while hurling insults at them to boot, I fail to see your side of field. As a sith, it is practically impossible to have a friendly chat with a jedi untill you've beaten them in combat, cause they will attack you irregardless of what you say. There are a few exceptions, ofc, but they are far between. Even more 'worrying' is that these Jedi pull and attack while you have your weapon "sheathed" as a sign of good faith.

On a somewhat related note to lightside Sith, Jaesa tells at one point during companion conversations that she has been able to find through her morality scanning, that there are other sith like her and her lightsided sith master, so I wouldn't call it a unique phenomena, given what the game states.

In either case, Jedi, being what they are, should specifically have been more trying in attempting to see the good in people, or try the path of negotiations rather than just pulling out their weapon and charge with a bloodcurdling scream. Having them go practically berserk just seems to me to be the direct opposite of what I think jedis are supposed to be: calm, restrained and always in control of themselves.

The Jedi could be thought of as the gardeners of the Force, and the Dark Side being the weeds. In any case, there's no such thing as the perfect Jedi; in the troubled times the game is set, with the Order struggling to rebuild, there's likely plenty of folk who aren't following the Code as well as they should, or putting the defence of the Republic over the redemption of the wayward. We're not seeing the Jedi at their best... Edited by smartalectwo

Hardly, the Jedi NPCs that do show up when you play as Sith are horribly inaccurate prtrayals of what they are in the setting, and I highly doubt that the light side choices change that portrayal much. Besides, in Mace Windu's own words, Jedi are not creatures of morality.

The entirity of the Sith empire is built on a doctrine of facism, prejudice, and racism. Since you have played a Sith character, I know you know this. Or you decided to ignore all the occurences of that kind of thing.

The simple and obvious answer is that those Jedi do not match canon portrayals of what Jedi are. Which isn't surprising, considering that this wouldn't be the first time that writers that aren't Stover, Lucas, or Luceno managed to screw up Jedi, and the Force in general.

Revanites aren't Sith. They aren't Jedi either. Revanites are Revanites.

There are a couple less harsh NPCs on the Empire side, but they are hardly light-sided. They are all hate-filled, angry people who want nothing better than to hurt the ones who hurt them. That is not light-sided. There are no light-sided characters amongst the Empire's Force users.

Yep. That is why there will be designated canon versions of the story paths for each class, and others that will fall into the realm of non-canon. That said, even though you are drawing closer to the light as a light side Sith, you are still a dark side Force user in the actual story, which means,by your very existence, you are a threat to the whole galaxy.

Edited by Jorander

The Jedi could be thought of as the gardeners of the Force, and the Dark Side being the weeds. In any case, there's no such thing as the perfect Jedi; in the troubled times the game is set, with the Order struggling to rebuild, there's likely plenty of folk who aren't following the Code as well as they should, or putting the defence of the Republic over the redemption of the wayward. We're not seeing the Jedi at their best...

We are seeing the Jedi at their best. The vast majority of them behave like proper Jedi.

2: considered that most dark side choices seems to actively hinder the empires capability to gather inteligence (kill anything and anyone just for fun), and that the inteligence network/capabilities of the empire is respected enough to be considered a threat by the republic, I would wager that there's quite a few sith that aren't necesarily front line assault material which are behaving less 'wastefull' with resources.

Play the Imperial Agent story and then wait until you find out just how Darth Jadus is handling Imperial Intelligence.

Questivers encountered as a empire player seems to vary a bit. Some are the archetypical 'evil douchebag' that wants you to commit wars of crime, but there are also some that are just trying to make things work for the better given the situation. One example is on some planet I can't remember the name of, where one questgiver tells you to boobytrap communication devices and plant them on fallen corpses so the republic will gather them. A guy you talk with during the quest explains he's not too hooked on the idea as anyone, kids included, could stumble upon them and try to use a communicator, so you get the option of letting him rig the boobytraps on grenades instead, which only soldiers would be asumed to try and use.

Well, ignoring their point system that they use in this game to measure the quality of a person's inner being (which I find to be laughably stupid) in the actual setting, what that guy is suggesting is still absolutely dark-sided. Just not as bad.

3: Considered the jedi met in the game attempt to murder in cold blood...

Don't exagerate. They attempt to engage you in combat, to fight you to the death. They do not try to murder you in cold blood. That said, killing in Star Wars is dark-sided, period. No matter who is doing it, or the reason for the killing.

any sith they encounter while hurling insults at them to boot, I fail to see your side of field. As a sith, it is practically impossible to have a friendly chat with a jedi untill you've beaten them in combat, cause they will attack you irregardless of what you say.

I have yet to run into a Jedi that hurls insults, on any of my Sith characters. The Sith characters on the otherhand insulted the hell out of my Jedi character even when I was nice to them.

On a somewhat related note to lightside Sith, Jaesa tells at one point during companion conversations that she has been able to find through her morality scanning, that there are other sith like her and her lightsided sith master, so I wouldn't call it a unique phenomena, given what the game states.

Other Sith like her? Jaesa Wilsaam is a monster once you turn her. What exactly does she mean by, "like her?" Maybe some behave more or less honorably than others?

In either case, Jedi, being what they are, should specifically have been more trying in attempting to see the good in people,

Jedi are not supposed to try and see good in people. There are only three things Jedi are supposed to do, in order from greatest to least. Serve the Force, show loyalty to their fellow Jedi, and defend the Republic. That is what is known as their three loyalties.

or try the path of negotiations rather than just pulling out their weapon and charge with a bloodcurdling scream. Having them go practically berserk just seems to me to be the direct opposite of what I think jedis are supposed to be: calm, restrained and always in control of themselves.

Again, bad writers who don't pay attention to the setting should not be allowed to touch Jedi.