Single-saber build?

AJediKnight

I've been increasingly bumping into single-saber Rage-based Marauders at level 50 who swear by using a power generator rather than a second saber. They appear to do quite well, too -- the ones I have seen in WZs are actually some of the top killers.

Is this a viable build? I don't like dual wielding, but if I could get away with one saber and a quirky build at the cap, I think I'd reroll from Jugg to Marauder in a heartbeat.

*Edit* I mean, just giving a cursory glance at the rage tree for Maras, I can kind of see how this would work. Crush, for example, doesn't even require the use of a lightsaber, let alone two.

Edited by AJediKnight

Doesn't the offhand focus have the same Force Power as a saber?

The only differences I can think of are:

1. Marauders might not actually bale to use offhand Focii. Don't recall of that was a Warrior general ability.

2. You don't get offhand hits on Obliterate, and other ****, which is stupid.

3. You're not carrying a second lightstick, so enemies may target you less.

I'd be willing to take a slight DPS hit -- albeit slight -- for appearances sake. I guess I was just hoping to see if any of these 'single blade Maras' were willing to speak up for their build and justify it a bit. Frankly, I think this is something a lot of people would like to see work, as I have been wholly unsatisfied with Jugg DPS/endgame appearance.

So, a quick look on torhead shows us that "Proficiency: Force Focus" is a Juggernaut-specific ability.

E.g., Marauders simply can't use a focus in the offhand. This coincides with my memory of buying a force focus last night for Broonmark and being somewhat annoyed that he could only equip a "SHIELD". I have a vague memory of it being unable to be used by my actual character with the word "FOCUS" in red.

So, you're trolling or you're getting trolled broseph.

OP got trolled and got infected. Now trying to contaminate others with his "trolled" symptom LOLOLOLOL!!!!

Im sry OP, but you got trolled hardcore LMAO!!

You're such an addition to the community.

OP: Even if we could use a focus(which we can't, as others have outlined above), there is only a disadvantage(losing your offhand strike on some skills) to using a focus instead of an equal quality offhand.

I still think that there should be an option to be a marauder and single-wield. Simply bake "if wielding one saber the ability deals x additional damage" and so on into exisiting talents and we're a go.

For me single > dual when it comes to swinging sabers (I find it more practical with other hand being free to do some Force tricks, acrobatics etc - some rp right there but it's a story game after all) but if the only option allowing me to single-wield means becoming a heavy armor clod without any utility, I'm gonna pass unfortunately.

I still think that there should be an option to be a marauder and single-wield. Simply bake "if wielding one saber the ability deals x additional damage" and so on into exisiting talents and we're a go.

For me single > dual when it comes to swinging sabers (I find it more practical with other hand being free to do some Force tricks, acrobatics etc - some rp right there but it's a story game after all) but if the only option allowing me to single-wield means becoming a heavy armor clod without any utility, I'm gonna pass unfortunately.

That's where I am at. My Jugg is bogged down in the early 40s and feeling just... wholly unfun.

Having said that, I am just not a fan of dual wield at all. To me, the iconic Star Wars 'look' is the single saber... and, in practice, it's simply the most practical wield.

Now, you could make a strong argument for a single saber and a shoto offhand saber, which would essentially turn the combatant into the Star Wars equivalent of an 18th century duelist (and which would, I might add, mesh up quite nicely with the original KotOR, where the short, offhand sabers were common). But using two full length sabers not only feels clunky in real life, it looks clunky in the game.

Edited by AJediKnight

Not to have to cite one of the new movies, but... well Anakin dual wielded twice and took Dooku's head off the second time. For your RP factor you have to remember that these aren't 39" steel katana's weighing upwards of 3Lbs each. They're just a hollow hilt with various crystals and electronic parts weighing under 1Lbs. There's nothing really cumbersome about swinging two of them around (I dual wield in lightsaber battles against my kids :p).

the pure definition of marauder is dual wielding dps

leave the single sabers to the juggs.

asking maras to all of the sudden go one handed is as out of character trying to get a bounty hunter to dual wield vibrosknives.

It funny how you regurgitate something that was told to you as if it was law. If you stole a lightsaber away from, say, a Marauder in actual Star Wars, would they suddenly forget how to fight? Would they immediately suck, and be forced to surrender? I mean, look at Darth Maul with the double-bladed saber. When Obi-wan cut it in half, did Maul simply nod solemnly and stab himself in the chest with the remaining blade, admitting defeat?

The thing about both dual wielding and double-bladed sabers is that you have to possess a degree of mastery over the single blade before you can take up any kind of specialized wield. It's the reason why, when Maul's saber got chopped, he barely blinked. He knew how to use a single saber with just as much accuracy and prowess as a staff.

Oh, and your BH example? Totally fail. This is the equivalent of asking for BHs mercs to wield just one pistol. Or, if you want to get picky, it's like asking for BHs to be able to wield a single carbine -- which, frankly, would make a lot of sense.

Variety in MMOs is good. There is no reason to rally around this crappy system and praise it as the end-all, be-all of weapon restrictions in MMO when plenty of other games offer real choice. What you are calling a 'perk' or a positive attribute is actually just the result of extremely lazy design.

For what it's worth, AJK, I totally agree with your point. I was just making a point on the RPness of it all. I also agree that we shouldn't be pigeonholed into dual wield, but we shouldn't get the rewards or even a percentage of them if we don't.

Initially I was thinking about fury spec warriors in WoW as an example to not force dual wield, but that's not really valid since Fury was just a spec, whereas Marauder is a subclass. That said, it would be nice if we had a single wield friendly spec, say annihilation. Since it's more about survivability and force damage it would make sense to have some one-saber benefits.

Incidentally, I think it's kinda stupid that annihilation uses Juyo form. If anything, carnage should use Juyo as both the spec and the form are designed to "eviscerate a lone enemy." But whatever...

I would greatly enjoy a single saber option as well.

Even if it was something as simple as say turning off the visual option for the second saber.

we can turn off out helmets in options for stylistic flair, why not our sabers?

maybe they are meant to distinguish us on the battle field, idk.

In all seriousness, the hardest decision i have made so far was taking the class i like (mara) or the look i like (jug).

While we are talking about Lightsaber combat, why is there no "blaster deflect," they do it all over the prequels?

It would be a great ability to close in on ranged class with.

Plus why are force users subjected to blinding effects:

Luke "With the blastshield down I can't even see, how am I supposed to fight."

Obi-wan "your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them."

Rolf

I mean for real!!!

Edited by Lord_Vadar

Having classes stuck with specific weapon types was a mistake IMO. I'm pretty sure being stuck with the same weapon type for YEARS is going to get old quick, especially when the only thing you really see different from one to another is the crystal color. To me thats a plan designed for single player games where you'll play for 40-80 hours and move on to something else, not a character design for a game we could be playing well into 2020...

So what else is a Jedi or Sith going to use besides a saber or vibroblade/staff? You can always unequip and use fisticuffs. It would be cool if any Force user melee class could use any type of saber though. Maybe change the specs to have one for single, one for dual, and one for staff types. It'll never happen, but one can dream...

It funny how you regurgitate something that was told to you as if it was law. If you stole a lightsaber away from, say, a Marauder in actual Star Wars, would they suddenly forget how to fight? Would they immediately suck, and be forced to surrender? I mean, look at Darth Maul with the double-bladed saber. When Obi-wan cut it in half, did Maul simply nod solemnly and stab himself in the chest with the remaining blade, admitting defeat?

The thing about both dual wielding and double-bladed sabers is that you have to possess a degree of mastery over the single blade before you can take up any kind of specialized wield. It's the reason why, when Maul's saber got chopped, he barely blinked. He knew how to use a single saber with just as much accuracy and prowess as a staff.

Oh, and your BH example? Totally fail. This is the equivalent of asking for BHs mercs to wield just one pistol. Or, if you want to get picky, it's like asking for BHs to be able to wield a single carbine -- which, frankly, would make a lot of sense.

Variety in MMOs is good. There is no reason to rally around this crappy system and praise it as the end-all, be-all of weapon restrictions in MMO when plenty of other games offer real choice. What you are calling a 'perk' or a positive attribute is actually just the result of extremely lazy design.

if you wanted to be more proficient dps wise with single saber you should have stuck jug everyone knows full well what they are getting into.

the whole darth mual BS run is totally irrelivent. no a maruader would not completely be able to fight back with a single saber but they SPECIALIZE in dual weilding that was the choice you had to make before becoming a maraduer we are sith warriors at heart but became master of dual wielding.

the BH example was to prove how ludicris the idea of a marauder not dual wielding was (i see it went over your head)

variety is fine but we are offered it in different ways sith warriors happen to have it it type of weapon (vibrosword or lightsaber) rather than weapon stance. to bad if that isn't what your looking for that's this games option for choice. By all means though go with 1 light saber and call yourself a maruder though but don't make such stupid suggestions that would totally warp the definition of what a maruader is supposed to be.

honestly if juggs so bad maybe you should make suggestion to improve your jugg expierence. not every game is going to have the amount of choices you think it should have.

Edited by Exiledtyrant

The game's only a month old. A new lightsaber form that has your character switch off the off-hand saber isn't out of the question, nor are new weapon types for the other classes.

We have the game's lifetime of expansions to look forward to. Let Bioware know it's wanted, we may well get it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.