Assassin vs Marauder

Ferdia

Yet another noob question thread. I can't decide which of these classes to play, based on which fairs better in comparison on the following aspects with the appropriate specs and skill to each:

1. PVP, like dps output, usefulness, success rate.

2. Dueling other classes 1 on 1.

3. PVE solo efficiency.

4. Finally, who do you reckon would win in a 1 on 1 fight, Marauder or Assassin?

Opinions appreciated.

In 1 on 1 I usually win against Marauders unless they got their 2.5 minute defensive cooldown up (take 50% of current health to reduce damage by 99% for 5 seconds). In that case they usually win. Our defensive cooldowns are fairly ineffective against them since they actually do melee damage, so Force Shroud isn't god mode versus them like it is versus almost any other class, including ourselves.

Marauders do have charge, which is infinitely more useful in Huttball than anything we got. In any flat terrain fight, talented Force Speed (break roots) is far more useful than charge, though Huttball shows up a disproportional amount of times out of the WZs. Charge is also godlike for the ball carrier in Hutball.

Marauders have a heal debuff, which may be useful in taking out extremely good healers. I find that just doing a ton of damage to the healer in a short time works too, but heal debuffs certainly don't hurt. We have a stronger mid range (10m) game, which is very important in PvP since root/snare/KB are all over the place.

Marauders are more useful in PvP than assassins (except tankasins), they have better mitigation and much better cooldowns, those allow them to charge into a group with a healer and take down the healer with some help from the teammates (cloak of pain 60 base CD reduces damage by 20%, it basicly adds 20% to armor mitigation thus increasing survivability by a lot, another one is 5 sec god-mode on a lengthy cooldown, and if things go wrong marauder can simply stealth away, also aoe mezz...). Assassin would simply die there. Tankasins have a better chances of surviving but they are worse at tanking when stunned (and thats 75% of the time when being focused).

Tankasins can knockback out of stealth (surprise butt***), pull carriers and healers into the group (oh shi...) and guard high dps classes or healers, and taunt, also the have 3 CCs (spike out of stealth, 30m stun and 30m instant whirlwind if hybrid). Too bad shield and defense are almost useless in PvP and you have to get dps gear as a tankain, but its worth it (with nice crit and surge hybrid tankasin does nice (not awesome but...) damage and has good survivability).

I've seen deception sins but while they do damage they are nothing more, they dont have burst of OPerative and absolutely lack utility unlike tankasins. Also squishy.

Assassin is better at soloing as he can CC organics from stealth and can use stealth to save time by skipping packs of mobs.

In group PvE mara has much more useful buffs and I think its damage is higher.

Edited by Vesperr

Against each other you can't really make a comparison without comparing the player.

I have been dual-leveling an assassin and a marauder. When I pvp on the assassin I know what to look for as far as defensive abilities on the marauder and to counter with stuns or to kite at about 10 meters so they can't force charge (just kite and shock).

On the marauder It is pretty simple, your toolset is just dps, so stay on an assassin and don't let up on the damage, keep them in range and expect to slam the instant they vanish.

It is much easier to be a better player with an assassin. You simply have to follow a rotation that consists of about 5 abilities, then use about another 5 "oh shi*" abilities. With the marauder you have to know and be able to instantly call up about 15 hotkeys while also trying to stay on a moving target and be prepared to change the plan at any moment.

The marauder has the potential to do more overall dps simply because of the mechanics. If a player can actually do it is the hard part. It gets tedious after a while having to go through 5-10 skills just to kill a mob in pve on the marauder, where the assassin can basically fall back to thrash/thrash/shock and make it through most of the content.

The biggest downside to the marauder at the moment is lack of options. You are dps, that is it. While all but one other AC get a job to do, you only do what everyone can basically do. An assassin, even in a dps spec, can still put on dark charge and taunt a target if things go wrong. An assassin can still stealth and put out good dps even when specced for tanking. An assassin can also sit at 10m and still do some reasonable damage if it is required by a fight, a marauder can't. Marauders make up for some of this with higher overall dps output, instant force charge into a fight and group buffs but right now they are pretty weak. 10% damage for a few seconds, 6% heal every 20-30 seconds (if they can get bleeds applied).

After being in beta (full beta, not weekends) for a few months and seeing most of the classes play out I expect to see marauders get some more utility while the assassin will probably stay the same, they are very balanced. The most I would expect assassins to get is the range given back to them on shock/force lightning so they can combat pve situations that are problematic to melee.

Play each to 20 and you will get a basic feel for the playstyles. They stay the same overall, just become more complex as you level.

A equally skilled Marauder would beat an Assassin every time.

How did you come up with that? An equally skilled assassin (deception especially) can outburst a Marauder plus if the Mara chooses to use their defensive cooldown it's easy enough for the assassin to just force cloak and reset the fight when it's down.

Yet another noob question thread. I can't decide which of these classes to play, based on which fairs better in comparison on the following aspects with the appropriate specs and skill to each:

1. PVP, like dps output, usefulness, success rate.

2. Dueling other classes 1 on 1.

3. PVE solo efficiency.

4. Finally, who do you reckon would win in a 1 on 1 fight, Marauder or Assassin?

Opinions appreciated.

I have a 50 Darkness (tank) assassin. I'm levelling an annihilation marauder.

1. Depends on the spec. Madness is fun, Darkness is pro if you're good at juggling cooldowns.

2. I do decent in 1v1s, id say I win 75% of the time.

3. This is where SA fails. Marauder eats solo grind.

4. If I have my cooldowns up, I roflstomp Marauders. Marauders are probably the hardest melee dps to play, which could be the reason I destroy them...but, I've not had too much trouble with them. My defense and shield capability is stupid as a tank, though.

1v1 with a Marauder, I've had it go both ways. If my abilities and relics are on cool down then I'm screwed. Assassin is fun in PVP but I sometimes do get Marauder envy. Being able to jump on the ball carrier in Huttball just looks awesome.

Edit: I'm running Deception spec

Edited by Omite

I have been dual-leveling an assassin and a marauder.

Doing the same thing myself. Right now both exact same level.

kite at about 10 meters so they can't force charge (just kite and shock).

This will not work with Annihilation spec Mara. With Close Combat, charge has no minimum range and 10.5 sec CD. Against a Rage noob you might succeed, but Anni or Carnage will catch you every time.

Plus their slow is 12 sec duration with no CD, while yours is 6 sec duration with 12 sec CD. In other words, if he wants to get on top of you and stay on top of you, if he's any good he'll do it no problem. You have Force Sprint, he has Predation, which effectively cancel out - Force Sprint is 150% for 2 sec, but countered with charge, and Predation lasts 10 seconds with a 80% speed boost (again as Anni spec).

It is much easier to be a better player with an assassin. You simply have to follow a rotation that consists of about 5 abilities, then use about another 5 "oh shi*" abilities. With the marauder you have to know and be able to instantly call up about 15 hotkeys while also trying to stay on a moving target and be prepared to change the plan at any moment.

Not only that, but the resource management is a pain. As Assassin, you have energy which is constantly trying to stay topped out. As Marauder, you have rage which is constantly trying to bottom out. All too often I find I NEED to use an ability, and have no rage to use it, and I will not get any rage unless I use a rage builder which will eat a GCD, or I get lucky and a hit/proc will give me some (which never happens when you need it most).

Half the time as Mara I feel I'm fighting my class as much as the enemy.

EDIT: But Mara absolutely ROCKS for questing. Spec max damage, whip out Quinn (healer companion), are you SHRED mobs so fast it's quite ridiculous. Elites literally melt in front of your eyes. Short of Sorcerer, I've yet to see a class that can do that.

And Assassin vs Mara thing in PvP? Sin wins hands down if he has Force Cloak. Wait for Mara to pop all his CDs and vanish. Come back 12 seconds later and rip him in half like a cheap book. Without defensive CDs, Marauders are not even glass cannons, they're monomolecule glass cannons.

Edited by Sabbathius

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.