The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why play Republic?

Batterycheck

So why shouldn't I just reroll Imperial?

Sticking with Republic seems like a mistake. Skills don't work properly compared to their "mirrors". Bugs not addressed in this patch. More attention was paid to the Empire experience. PVP is pretty much shot at this point unless we get a serious rollback. Republic population is already low and could potentially decline.

Swapping to Imperial would provide for a larger player base for grouping and ops, far less bugs, smoother experience.

Granted, moving factions won't help improve the imbalance problems, but we obviously aren't seeing Bioware doing anything to acknowledge or address them. Instead we get a patch with more content, when previous content is being ignored and not addressed. While I understand that the stock dev answer is: "Different teams of people are working on different things", this translates to me as a mistake in the allocation of resources.

So anyways, is there any reason to stick with the Republic?

I prefer the feel of the Republic overall despite to obvious need to make it seem less 'good' by adding endless corrupt bureaucracy type storylines (seriously too many of the same themed quests).

Sadly game balance wise it is clear that they didn't get the same attention the Imperials did. More class abilities bugged, delays on abilities and generally seemingly less effort put into story, dialogue and gear design.

The glaring imbalances and lack of testing for Republic abilities shows a clear lack of interest on behalf of the class balance team. How do bugs like inconsistent cooldowns between mirror classes on each faction go live? Its nice that damage matches animations but why do several abilities on the Republic side suffer from inequality due to this? This makes a huge difference in pvp.

Sadly, and much more depressingly, why have Bioware remained quiet on these issues, especially those of ability balance due to animations?

I enjoyed the Republic Trooper storyline and the Smuggler is good so far.

Along with the imperial agent those are my 2 favorite story lines. Not sure how people say they didn't spend time on the republic side. The JAX moment is the most gut wrenching story decision by far i've had to make in this game.

how could they make the Miralak from the opening video so ******, then make the republic far inferior? honestly the game is new, wait for 6 months to decide about a faction change...something will be done. If BW watches their subscriptions drop to less than a million players, they'll make some drastic changes. Right now the playre base is expanding to the average gamers who weren't concerned with getting the game on opening day. WOw is shedding accounts like they are bleeding mortally, and no one has anywhere to go until GW'2 comes out, so you can bet on SWOTOR breaking 5 million within 6 months...that type of money coming in allows BW to hire more devs, expand their teams, and make fine tune adjustments that every MMO needs to make before they can call themselves, balanced.

Well I've played my JK to 50 and haven't had any bugs. Soooo care to elaborate on what you're having issues with?

Despite what people say- the Empire is popular due to a herd mentality happening in games right now. Spawned from WOW and the shift in Horde populace. Now every game with an evil side is instantly flocked too by those that join the herd.

It is tempting I must say. Even though I kind of stick to myself ingame I do love to be around people. Thriving auction house etc...

Personally I really like the Rep stories opposed to the Imp side. Being all evil/bad whatever just isn't me and won't ever be me. Even in a video game I just don't enjoy not being the hero.

Because all the WTFPWNLOL script kiddies are playing Sith. I prefer a more mature player base to interact with.

And with that shallow and cliche assessment you've clearly proven yourself beacon of maturity. Yet another reason not to roll Republic, albeit a minor one.

OP About the population balance, go roll Republic on one of the RP servers. The Ebon Hawk is pretty balanced. I bet if I logged in right now the difference between Rep and Emp numbers on their respective fleets is ~30 players.

And with that shallow and cliche assessment you've clearly proven yourself beacon of maturity. Yet another reason not to roll Republic, albeit a minor one.

OP About the population balance, go roll Republic on one of the RP servers. The Ebon Hawk is pretty balanced. I bet if I logged in right now the difference between Rep and Emp numbers on their respective fleets is ~30 players.

I'm just writing to a target audience. I could have evoked a verbose lexicon of reasons, but it would have been met with with "tl;dr lol".

Indeed, which speaks to your shallow and cliche assessment... which is exactly why I wrote those words. Point solidified - Thanks.

I don't believe I ever debated the point. I accepted the assessment, and gave reasons to exactly why I did what you said.

It still stands as a true statement.

one thing that may have worked to help prevent the faction imbalance a bit could of been like how aion handled it, when one side reached a certain amount of players or whatever it would disallow people to create a character on that faction, i can see that way could make some people mad cuz they may get stuck for a bit not being able to play the faction of their choice, but it would balance population better, just my 2 cents Edited by Akzent

one thing that may have worked to help prevent the faction imbalance a bit could of been like how aion handled it, when one side reached a certain amount of players or whatever it would disallow people to create a character on that faction, i can see that way could make some people mad cuz they may get stuck for a bit not being able to play the faction of their choice, but it would balance population better, just my 2 cents

I felt a great disturbance in the force as all the children between the age of 14 and 22 cried out in anger at your suggestion that they should not be allowed to horde play so that they can boost their egos by tea bagging with 3 to 1 numbers.

So why shouldn't I just reroll Imperial?

Sticking with Republic seems like a mistake. Skills don't work properly compared to their "mirrors". Bugs not addressed in this patch. More attention was paid to the Empire experience. PVP is pretty much shot at this point unless we get a serious rollback. Republic population is already low and could potentially decline.

Swapping to Imperial would provide for a larger player base for grouping and ops, far less bugs, smoother experience.

Granted, moving factions won't help improve the imbalance problems, but we obviously aren't seeing Bioware doing anything to acknowledge or address them. Instead we get a patch with more content, when previous content is being ignored and not addressed. While I understand that the stock dev answer is: "Different teams of people are working on different things", this translates to me as a mistake in the allocation of resources.

So anyways, is there any reason to stick with the Republic?

Switch right now, I got no idea why you wouldnt, better do it now before there isnt enough Reps left to form a full Flashpoint grp..

I surprised myself and enjoy Republic more than I expected. I rolled Sith Sorcerer and just got fed up with all the damn lightning, also I didn't like some of the quest options, I guess I find being an evil ***** too hard :)

I now have a Jedi Sage and Trooper both of which I am enjoying immensely. The big drawback for me though is Republic side is pretty empty compared to what I was used to on Empire.

Edited by Cordelia

Indeed, which speaks to your shallow and cliche assessment... which is exactly why I wrote those words. Point solidified - Thanks.

You judge a person by a single line that had a hint of humour in it?

Good thing you're pic is a droid you seem to have a personality of one :D

(i'm poking fun by the way, you need to chill though -.-)

My main character is a level 40 Bounty Hunter/Mercenary...I wanted to slow down reaching the level cap and finishing up the story so I started up a Consular/Shadow. Right now she's level 14 and I'm enjoying it just as much as my first play through as an Imperial, if not a little more.

I love both factions, and intend to alternate making new characters on each side until I have one of each base class.