So SWTOR, not designed for the masses? Niche game?

Khoranth

"Your problem is your system, not the game. " Fanboy to the rescue. Why does the game not run well on high end systems then? Oh thats right. Its a piss poor engine.

I want this game to run on my Atari. Anyone who disagrees or think that's unrealistic, is a fanboy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That just simply is not true. I know plenty of people with systems that dwarf anything required to run this game on high with max FPS that still get the strange FPS losses in Warzones. So before putting your time and effort into the system math perhaps look at the game? Certain games just RUN better than others. Look at Crysis. That game CAN look amazing but it runs terrible even on machines that should smash it. Bad engine and coding can do it, not just a failed system.

the simple fact that SOME systems that barely meet the req. can run this game with no problems, and the fact that some high-end computers are struggling means that it is probably a driver issue.

take a look at those high-end systems that are having problems, and you see that nearly all of them are running video cards that aren't Nvidia.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again. My gaming rig is 4 years old, and the game is running CONSISTENTLY at 60 fps. In WZ's it drops to about 45 fps.

My video card is Nvidia Geforce 9800 GTX+. (upgraded this to increase FPS when WoW WOTLK released)

as stated before, the video card manufacturers need to get a new driver update out soon to fix these issues, but it seems to me that most of the problem is with the hardware/drivers, not the game.

Edited by tiennen

Yet what we heard for 3 years any time anyone questioned the art direction of the game was "this will allow it to run on a wide range of hardware."

^This.^ And that was the only real justification for having such dated graphics in an MMO. What now?

You do realize the majority of gamers have older computers, not newer computers right?

That's why i said small niche, if the majority of MMORPG players cannot even play the game, then you are obviously not trying to pull in a large amount of subs.

Not very many people have new high end computers. If you are creating a game targetting just those people, you are targetting a small niche.

Where do you get your information? Can you prove the average age/system specs of today's gamers? No. To my knowledge such a list doesn't exist.

It doesn't take a high end computer to play this game. It does take newer hardware to play it well and without stuttering graphics while in a warzone.

I want this game to run on my Atari. Anyone who disagrees or think that's unrealistic, is a fanboy.

Obvious troll is obvious. The game runs perfect on my system but not on a friend of mine who has a better system than I do. Try harder.

Ya it has NOTHING to do with having a good computer or not. My system should easily handle this game with no slowdown at close to max settings, yet I have turned the settings to MINIMUM, with latency at 20-30 MS, and STILL have ability delays and slowdown of one kind or another.

I don't mind an occasional stutter once in a while, but using a skill and having your character pause for half or even a full second before it is activated is unacceptable, and there are people with crazy good systems who have the same problem, so whoever says it is a personal system issue is in extreme denial.

Obvious troll is obvious. The game runs perfect on my system but not on a friend of mine who has a better system than I do. Try harder.

what video card does your friend run?

I don't want to assume, but I will.

I assume it isn't Nvidia.

You apparently haven't read the forums much. People are having the same problems who have posted system specs that are cutting edge. So read before you make meaningless uninformed responses please.

That just simply is not true. I know plenty of people with systems that dwarf anything required to run this game on high with max FPS that still get the strange FPS losses in Warzones. So before putting your time and effort into the system math perhaps look at the game? Certain games just RUN better than others. Look at Crysis. That game CAN look amazing but it runs terrible even on machines that should smash it. Bad engine and coding can do it, not just a failed system.

I continue to disagree. If it was coding, one or all of my 4 tested computers would be having "strange FPS losses in Warzones."

What do you consider strange? I listed my averages, I'm essentially going from 80+FPS in the world to 40+FPS in a Warzone. Do the graphics change? No. What changes is the fact that there are now more players on the screen shooting off abilities with graphics on my screen which both my computer and the server has to calculate and display. That slows things down.

The other day I decided to monitor GPU usage since a lot of folks are complaining that the games doesn't properly utilize the GPU. I was pretty steady both in world and warzone at 80-98% utilization. How is my system magically better utilizing my GPU over someone else's when they are running the exact same code?

The ability lag is very bad along with the lag. Bioware blaming it on people's rigs is ridiculous.

I'm in the Diablo 3 beta and I can run it on high/ultra settings smooth as butter( also D# looks better IMHO).

My rig:

Phenom II x4 3.5ghz

AMD HD 6850

8GB RAM

Windows 7 64 bit

500 GB HDD

Edited by Lyonel

The ability lag is very bad along with the lag. Bioware blaming it on people's rigs is ridiculous.

See, this is exaclty what I've been talking about. One guy posts that Bioware blamed ability lag on users' PC's, and people actually believe it. That's false. They've been very clear that it's their issue.

Edited by imtrick

My wife's rig is very similar to yours and she plays the game just fine...

Phenom x3 2.3gHz

8GB DDR2 800 RAM

2TB HDD

GeForce 8800GTS

She runs the game on high at 1280x1024 and gets a pretty solid/consistent 30fps everywhere.

Trust me, it's been well over 6 months since her last upgrade..

Phenom x3 2.3gHz

8GB DDR2 800 RAM

2TB HDD

GeForce 8800GTS

She runs the game on high at 1280x1024 and gets a pretty solid/consistent 30fps everywhere.

I'm not sure if you are responding to me, but I assume you are:

The HD 6850 is a significantly better card than 8800 gts so I should be getting better performance than your wife. I run the game at 1920 x 1080 on a 44 inch HDTV and my FPS are very inconsistent. Some places it's over a 100 and others it's as low as 20. I have never played any game where the FPS fluctuated like that. A lot of it probably has to do with the Hero Engine along with the ability lag but, they are not about to get a new engine anytime soon as that would require a massive overhaul.

Edited by Lyonel

Phenom x3 2.3gHz

8GB DDR2 800 RAM

2TB HDD

GeForce 8800GTS

Well i run the game fine solo, and it's decent in 4mans, but anymore then that and it gets horrible, especially warzones.

How does she do in warzones? Or 8man raids, if you do them?

I just feel like this game is not gonna be playable for me and my computer, unless I just solo and do 4mans, and im not going to pay 15 a month to solo and do 4mans.

See, this is exaclty what I've been talking about. One guy posts that Bioware blamed ability lag on users' PC's, and people actually believe it. That's false. They've been very clear that it's their issue.

Yup more misinformation. Bioware clearly stated they are looking into fixes for it.

Stephen reid said performance issues. My abilities are not delayed solo, but in 4mans they are somewhat, and it is terrible in warzones.

If my ability delay problem was coding, wouldnt it exist anywhere? my problem happens with more players on screen, and gets worse as I have more players around me.

That makes me think it is a performance issue, and my computer.

I would say it is not a computer issue. I have a new computer and see almost no ability delay like others talk about, I have great FPS and almost no lag in warzones.

Then on occasion I have the worst 3-5 second delays I've ever experienced.

So same computer runs the game fine 19 out of 20 warzones and lags up on 1 out of 20 warzones. I don't think that is my computer as much as it is load on the servers during that particular warzone.

I would say it is not a computer issue. I have a new computer and see almost no ability delay like others talk about, I have great FPS and almost no lag in warzones.

Then on occasion I have the worst 3-5 second delays I've ever experienced.

So same computer runs the game fine 19 out of 20 warzones and lags up on 1 out of 20 warzones. I don't think that is my computer as much as it is load on the servers during that particular warzone.

Well i have a 1-3 second delay in every warzone with all my abilities. When I am solo i have almost no delay except certain abilities.

That makes me think it is my computer.

Friends, I am 51 years old and played mmo's when ascii characters were all you had. When connecting online cost $6 per hour and you had to set your modem to specific sites.

I only have one thing to say, this game is one month old.

Try to post specific problems with specific tech details and wait.

Anyone else younger than I will attest to the fact that WoW, EQ, Ultima, all had their problems and some of those problems were around for a year before being fixed.

You have become accustomed to having what you want when you want it. Grow up. The world isn't like that. Only your parents are.

Taking statements out of context is as wrong as a gun to the head. Grow up.

Thanks for listening.

Friends, I am 51 years old and played mmo's when ascii characters were all you had. When connecting online cost $6 per hour and you had to set your modem to specific sites.

I only have one thing to say, this game is one month old.

Try to post specific problems with specific tech details and wait.

Anyone else younger than I will attest to the fact that WoW, EQ, Ultima, all had their problems and some of those problems were around for a year before being fixed.

You have become accustomed to having what you want when you want it. Grow up. The world isn't like that. Only your parents are.

Taking statements out of context is as wrong as a gun to the head. Grow up.

Thanks for listening.

How is reid saying performance issues are linked to computers out of context? If i get worse and worse as i get more characters on my screen doing stuff, isn't that my computer?

If an ability was coded poorly and had a delay, wouldnt it always delay whether solo or in a warzone?

I have a pentium duel core 2.0, 8800 gforce gtx, 8 gig RAM.

SWTOR is designed for a small niche of people who buy new computers every 6 months and constantly upgrade their computers. Do you think it was a smart move to alienate all the people like me and my friends, who are all avid gamers, but choose not to upgrade computers constantly?

Wait, what?

First, what is a "pentium duel core 2.0"? I'll give you a hint: there's no such thing. You're either talking about a dual-core Pentium-D (in which case it's not clocked at 2.0GHz) or a Core2Duo (in which case your reference to "Pentium" is very random). 8gb RAM tells us nothing either, in the context of the rest: for all we know you could be using horribly slow single-channel RAM on 32-bit WinXP...

Either way, you may be a programmer but your post gives the impression you know very little about hardware.

And also either way: there's a huge disparity between (a) "people who buy new computers every 6 months" and (b) people using computers with hardware more current than 5 years old. And I'm afraid you fall into neither bracket. Your computer isn't just dated, it's practically historical: your CPU and video card are 5+ years old. You're a programmer, I'm sure you've heard of Moore's Law. Do the math.

I do sympathize with the overall sentiment of your post: that people shouldn't need bleeding- or even cutting-edge hardware to play a new MMO. I think that's fair; I also don't think that's the case with SWTOR, but that's by the by.

I don't sympathize with your particular case, though. It's clear that your computer isn't not-quite-brand-new, it's ancient. If you want to play new games on a platform where you don't need to make moderate upgrades more frequently than once every 5-6 years, I seriously suggest you consider investing in a console.

Wait, what?

First, what is a "pentium duel core 2.0"? I'll give you a hint: there's no such thing. You're either talking about a dual-core Pentium-D (in which case it's not clocked at 2.0GHz) or a Core2Duo (in which case your reference to "Pentium" is very random). 8gb RAM tells us nothing either, in the context of the rest: for all we know you could be using horribly slow single-channel RAM on 32-bit WinXP...

Either way, you may be a programmer but your post gives the impression you know very little about hardware.

And also either way: there's a huge disparity between (a) "people who buy new computers every 6 months" and (b) people using computers with hardware more current than 5 years old. And I'm afraid you fall into neither bracket. Your computer isn't just dated, it's practically historical: your CPU and video card are 5+ years old. You're a programmer, I'm sure you've heard of Moore's Law. Do the math.

I do sympathize with the overall sentiment of your post: that people shouldn't need bleeding- or even cutting-edge hardware to play a new MMO. I think that's fair; I also don't think that's the case with SWTOR, but that's by the by.

I don't sympathize with your particular case, though. It's clear that your computer isn't not-quite-brand-new, it's ancient. If you want to play new games on a platform where you don't need to make moderate upgrades more frequently than once every 5-6 years, I seriously suggest you consider investing in a console.

I don't know a ton about hardware, i'll be the first to admit that. Ok checking, 2.3 GHZ is the number for processors. and 32 bit OS.

All i'm saying is, if bioware wants a huge customer base, older computers need to be able to run the game.

And it doesnt feel like a graphics problem to me anyways, or bad delay coding. It just seems like the more people I am around, who are performing actions, the slower everything gets.

Edited by Khoranth