Battle for Ilum Fails as Predicted

MDONINESIX

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ilum is a slaughter on my server too. It will become an issue when Republic just stop going to Ilum and Sith get geared by farming the middle for armaments. The Empire is camping the spawn point of the Republic base and players are stuck there and they can't do ANYTHING about it, nothing. And Empire is getting easy valor.

Something needs to be fixed soon, either:

Vehicles for the lower population server.

Bolster.

Make it a 40v40 instance.

People might think these are not good solutions. However, it is much better than it is now.

Edited by Bollah

My Jedi performs just as well as my Sorcerer. However I enjoy my Jedi more.

Nice generalization though ...

Still not Bioware's fault for people making a choice at the faction selection screen. No matter how you spin it.

You can't seriously be this addled. You're trolling me, you must be. People's choice had nothing to do with the classes or their design, that's smart thinkin' there!

I fail to see how this is Bioware's fault entirely. Certainly at least some, if not most, of the blame falls on the players.

If there are 100 imps on, and 25 republics, why are all the imps forming a giant mob and swarming the severely outnumbered republic players? Why don't they break up and fan out around the map? Sure, that means less action, but it does mean that the action that takes place would be more entertaining since it wouldn't be a complete slaughter.

Instead, from the pictures people are posting, it appears that all the imps are joining together in one big unstoppable zergball horde, then complaining that all there is to do is join up in one giant unstoppable zergball horde. And somehow this is BioWare's fault?

Why wouldn't they form up? Its not about fair play for like 90% of the players out their as long as they are winning they dont care how they won.

It is 100% biowares fault for thinking the community would police and balance populations lol.

PvP is always scissors paper rock and balance. Your complaint has no logical solution. You say the group with larger numbers wins...should one group be made more powerful? If republic players were given more power to account for the loss of numbers, then the forum complaints about balance would be deafening.

Sure, a slightly smaller group with better tactics and better players will do better. But if the numbers are 4 to 1 against, even the best PvPers would be hard pressed to make a solid showing. The fault is more with the players all choosing imp side and choosing giant zergball formation. Hardly BW's fault.

It's PvP. All they do is whine.

Carebear 'pvpers' kill/objective trade. And yet, still blame Bioware for pvp fail? LOL. what are you all smoking?

cant say much im geaerd. Just givin heads up on whats gonna happen on low server populated zones like mine which ilum is a deserted ice world. and with a few people in ilum will drive this to happen.

also it cant be a deal with opposite faction. you can just have a buddy log on the opposite side and trade off kills.

Like i said this zone is a pure fail right now, no matter how much bioware tries to fix they will just make it worst.

Edited by AlfonsoG

isn't it more of a factor in population distribution and population tendancys (Imps = more pvp focused guilds) rather than the way it was implemented in game.

thats what i was thinking as well. but i think the big underlined point is that The rebels are always the outnumbered faction, so Bioware needs to come up with a way to make up for that .

The actual problem, and it has nothing to do with code is the two faction problem. PvP and two factions do not work out when confided in a game world. In the real world you can overcome with technology, etc.

How about a quick little idea:

Allow the empire to split faction. I mean in theory they fight amongst themselves anyway looking for power. Everything can stay essentially the same, maybe you just pick a sub faction on empire. Maybe Sith vs empire or some such. This would enable the following:

- PVP Queues, can now be rep vs empire, rep vs empire, sith vs empire

- Ilum would now be a three way battle, so 2 factions to take a larger faction out and then fight amongst themselves.

Nothing is worse in PvP than spawn camping and imbalance. It is not fun beating down a small number of people over and over and over again, and it sucks being beat down constantly.

Or as someone else mentioned, allow companions for the undermanned group.

sure...but it is nothing but a giant zerg fest. Some may find that fun, but it got old very quick as there is no skill or tactics.

I agree.

They need to put Ilum on a timer and make it an instance 40v40 or 20v20 based on objectives.

That is the only solution I see.

sure...but it is nothing but a giant zerg fest. Some may find that fun, but it got old very quick as there is no skill or tactics.

This is what half the PvP "community" has been crying for since this game got announced. A full on full blooded rewarded zerg fest.

Don't blame Bioware for giving them what they actually want. As it is I'll take the same three people I crush Warzones with and 4v1 everyone.

Solution:

Have a base, say 120 empire and 120 repub npcs guarding turrets/spawn point on the battlefield at any time. When a player comes in of a faction, remove 2 npcs of that faction. once 60 of a given side joins, open up a new area instance.

Problem partially solved?

SWTOR is a PvE game.

The PvP in SWTOR will always suck because the Devs don't know how to design for it, and they never will.

Like Rift, the Devs took all the worst PvP design failures of WoW and put them in this game.

All the real PvP'ers are just waiting for GW2.

Edited by --Grim--

Reminds me back in WoW the open PVP battles. First the wintergrasp, it was pretty much like that. The bolster mechanic didn't fix anything it was a joke, 200 horde players against 3 alliance with 10 times more life.

THen the Tol barad, which was different, there was never more people from on side than the other, so it was 20 alliance vs. 20 horde, and over 200 horde waiting to ge into at the bridge's entrance.

Open PVP is a joke, it doesn't work on 90% of the server. If you want it you are a dreamer that needs more MMO experience to realize it's bad game design.

Illum is actually worse than WoW's zones because it's an HUGE zone for those slow crappy speeders, there are no timed battles so if you can't play on the peak hours, forget about it doing any quest objective.

I don't know how to fix that, maybe turning it more like wintergrasp would be a start.

Also, FPS and LAg issues... it doesn't get any better.

inb4 another PVPer whinning

inb4 go play WoW/Panda

inb4 players are responsible for server imbalance

inb4 game was just released, they'll patch it

inb4 blogging

inb4 we won't miss you

inb4 another entitled player

inb4 hurr durr

This is what half the PvP "community" has been crying for since this game got announced. A full on full blooded rewarded zerg fest.

Don't blame Bioware for giving them what they actually want. As it is I'll take the same three people I crush Warzones with and 4v1 everyone.

Actually... no, it's not what the PvP community has been crying for, at all.

The whole PvP mess should be shocking. Can Bioware possibly have devs this incompetent? How these people even have jobs is unbelievable... but, I guess you see this type of thing in many professions.

It isn't like Bioware invented PvP for the first time... and considering all that has been done before in 10+ years of MMO gaming... to make Ilum and think it had a chance to be anything other than an epic FAIL really calls into question their basic reasoning abilities.

SWTOR is a PvE game.

The PvP in SWTOR will always suck because the Devs don't know how to design for it, and they never will.

Like Rift, the Devs took all the worst PvP design failures of WoW and put them in this game.

All the real PvP'ers are just waiting for GW2.

Right cause none of these problems will be in GW2.

The issue here is its an open world pvp environment in a game where one side vastly outnumbers the other. This has nothing to do with Bioware screwing anything up or not being able to design anything.

Reminds me back in WoW the open PVP battles. First the wintergrasp, it was pretty much like that. The bolster mechanic didn't fix anything it was a joke, 200 horde players against 3 alliance with 10 times more life.

THen the Tol barad, which was different, there was never more people from on side than the other, so it was 20 alliance vs. 20 horde, and over 200 horde waiting to ge into at the bridge's entrance.

Open PVP is a joke, it doesn't work on 90% of the server. If you want it you are a dreamer that needs more MMO experience to realize it's bad game design.

Illum is actually worse than WoW's zones because it's an HUGE zone for those slow crappy speeders, there are no timed battles so if you can't play on the peak hours, forget about it doing any quest objective.

I don't know how to fix that, maybe turning it more like wintergrasp would be a start.

Also, FPS and LAg issues... it doesn't get any better.

inb4 another PVPer whinning

inb4 go play WoW/Panda

inb4 players are responsible for server imbalance

inb4 game was just released, they'll patch it

inb4 blogging

inb4 we won't miss you

inb4 another entitled player

inb4 hurr durr

This reminded me of Wow.

http://i.imgur.com/UmcMV.jpg

It's looking like this is true, A LOT.

Ask any veteran WoW PVPer if Illum was a good Idea and 9 out of 10 will say it was not, and 1 will troll.

Edited by Brodsk

Right cause none of these problems will be in GW2.

The issue here is its an open world pvp environment in a game where one side vastly outnumbers the other. This has nothing to do with Bioware screwing anything up or not being able to design anything.

GW2 is designed from the ground up for PvP. And they already have a record in designing one of the best PvP games ever.. GW.

GW2 will have it's issues to be sure but they will not be as monumentally idiotic as SWTOR's are. SWTOR's problems can not be fixed because the basic design is flawed and only meant for PvE.

Edited by --Grim--