In Game Player Rating System

universeman

This idea just came from left field, and is probably going to get shot down in flames. If so, so be it...but, I thought I'd throw it out there after reading how adding a cross server LFG tool could allow players to group up, be jerks, and leave never to be seen/heard from again.

To combat this what if we had a player rating system? Sort of how ebay/amazon have seller ratings.

I realize the first concern here is that idiots will be idiots and try to screw people over, but maybe there'd be a way to handle people who rate others poorly without reason. Maybe it would be a group rating, I don't know.

Why not? :D

This idea just came from left field, and is probably going to get shot down in flames. If so, so be it...but, I thought I'd throw it out there after reading how adding a cross server LFG tool could allow players to group up, be jerks, and leave never to be seen/heard from again.

To combat this what if we had a player rating system? Sort of how ebay/amazon have seller ratings.

I realize the first concern here is that idiots will be idiots and try to screw people over, but maybe there'd be a way to handle people who rate others poorly without reason. Maybe it would be a group rating, I don't know.

Why not?

The entire internet, that's why not.

I can think of two reasons:

1) It's completely subjective. If someone has a bad rating on Amazon it's because people don't like their books after buying them. If someone has a bad eBay rating it's because they are hawking crap or sending people live bobcats in boxes.

What defines a "bad" SWTOR player? How do we make this more than "i no liek u"

2) It's completely arbitrary. Cross-server LFG/LFD is bad for one reason -- there is no longer a sense that anyone you group with matters. Not everyone who will cross server is going to be a troll or baddie , most will be just like you -- but they aren't on your server, you can't hear them bantering on DK or Belsavis, and you don't know if you will ever see them again. What if they're having a bad day that day? Can you REALLY judge someone on five minutes of observation in any meaningful way?

It would be a good idea if we didn't need it. By that I mean, it would only work if there weren't crappy people who would down rate someone for something trivial or meaningless.

Think someone has terrible gear? Downvote

Don't like the way someone plays? Downvote

Someone hurts your ego? Downvote

Disagree over the nature of the higgs-boson? Downvote

The system would only work as well as the quality of the majority of people. And a lot people would abuse it in some way.

Edited by SteveRB

There would have to be extensive anti-abuse code built in with it, but I think it would be something neat to see in a game.

But, this game isn't like Amazon, where businesses sell 100x more than the individuals who buy from them buy. Players could give poor feedback to the same person who gave them poor feedback. Eventually, the jerks who give poor feedback for no reason (already have one of them in this thread), would have a bunch of poor feedback, whereas the people who don't give bad feedback for no reason would have positive feedback (assuming they aren't idiots online).

Not saying it would work, but if done right...maybe it could. But, probably it wouldn't :o

2) It's completely arbitrary. Cross-server LFG/LFD is bad for one reason

I am not supporting a cross server LFG tool.