Crafting -am I missing something here?

Demorgoth

I have no crafting skills on my main (slice/scavenge/UT) but maxed Cybertech, Armstech and Biotech on alts. Over the past week, prices have been crashing daily on the few moneymaking crafted items and materials as more and more people level crafting and missions on alts (just as I did). I can see zero long term profitability from any tradeskills, hence the only viable skills are those that save you money - which means Biotech (even post-nerf), possibly with a cybertech alt for grenades

At L50 there is NOTHING else worthwhile to make use of crafting skills. Everything craftable is trivially surpassed by considerably more accessable loot. I had full purple L49armorings enhancements and mods in every available slot, purple barrel, ear, etc. Almost everything has already been replaced. There is some mileage to be made from advertising mods/armorings in chat for custom made-to-order purchases, but even that is gonna dry up once people realise what a short term investment they're making. There's not even much point in gearing your companions, since they have no use at 50 unless you're doing the PvE dallies for barely noticable gains.

Am I missing something here? I went out of my way to keep missions/crafts ticking over on multiple characters, but I'm beginning to think the whole crafting system is just one giant pointless red herring. I could''ve sworn I'd read about crafters being reverred and sought out, or were they just referring to a raider who won the roll on a recipe and spent 48h PLing a craft skill to a high enough level to use the recipe?

That's disturbing if true. Right now, I'm making money on sub-50 purple mods. I hope the gear diversity is a little better at 50 but I am worried about lvl50 gear selling because of what you describe. I would hate for it to stagnate.

Green crafted gear doesn't sell as far as I've seen. And blue gear rarely sales. Stims sell like mad and you would be crazy to purchase them from vendors right now as they are half the price in the GTM.

I'm seeing the same thing. I'm really regretting all the credits I've dumped into crafting schematics and crew missions. I just hit 50 and I'm nearly broke.

I'm wishing I had not bothered with crafting, and instead got nothing but gathering skills.

Grrr.

I made decent money for a while in the purple ship mods for a while (because they were one thing you couldn't upgrade beyond crafted) , but that price has completely crashed too in the last week. I've been PVPing for about 10 days, and only have boots and helm left with crafted mods on it. Even my weapon has been replaced. My favoured companions are wearing my hand-me-downs, but I don't think I've used a companion in the last week for anything except missions.

If I can get 'free' cybertech and armstech items but don't make them because I've no use for them, why could I expect someone else to actually pay for them unless they're ignorant of the state of the post-50 game itemisation?

Edited by Demorgoth