100 Million Dollar game and the UI overlaps...

RoughCut

Increase your screen resolution. You are likely playing at a lower resolution than was intended for your monitor.

Increasing my resolution fixed this right up. Lowering your resoltuion cramps more things on the screen.

Not true. My 23 inch LED monitors' native resolution is 1080p. I am currently playing in 1080p and I get overlap. I don't get COMPLETE overlap of the left and right ability bars, but enough to the point where I have accidentally clicked on the overlapping window instead of activating an ability plenty of times.

Lowering your resolution might make it WORSE, but playing at a high resolution, one that is native to your monitor, does not entirely fix the problem.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Increase your screen resolution. You are likely playing at a lower resolution than was intended for your monitor.

Increasing my resolution fixed this right up. Lowering your resoltuion cramps more things on the screen.

I play at 1950 x 1080 on a 27" monitor and have all of the same overlapping effects. I don't understand why we can't at least globally scale the UI down. My bar buttons are about a one inch square on my screen.

Also ditto the WZ interface overlapping the top slots of the right quickbar.

increasing my screen resolution does not work. I play in windowed mode. because If i alt+ tab in full screen mode, even though my machine can immediately load the game back up sw-tor Loading screen pops up for at least 5 seconds, and in those 5 seconds i have died during fights etc. Its incredibly annoying, so i keep my window in windowed mode. the warzone map forced me to move my hotkeys Down, drove me insane, and the first time i did a warzone i had to figure out how to move the window OFF my left bar. almost raged.. ALMOST. --pardon the poor spelling and grammar--

I started testing from December 2010 to early access. My hands are tired from all of the bugs I submitted (hundreds!). The most repeated feedback I gave was:

1. Character Creations needs many more options - stayed almost the same

2. UI is not customizable - Changed some layout areas but pretty much the same

3. Companions and characters fell through the ground all the time - fixed

4. Conversations took 5 - 7 minutes to load - fixed

5. Getting stuck everywhere (boxes, clicky items etc) - somewhat fixed

Point is, they know and I am sure they are prioritizing what needs to be fixed first. There are only X number of people, time and other resources that any company has.

to paraphrase: 'Modifying millions of lines of code ain't like dusting crops, boy!'

There will be improvements when they are ready, relax. :)

I've never understood why people post the budget of the game, as though they had personally had to pay it; I don't believe I've ever seen this particular pathology in any other game. Maybe the budget was as large as however large it was because of payoffs to George Lucas to not insist that they add midichlorian count as a stat, does it matter?

I've never understood why people post the budget of the game, as though they had personally had to pay it; I don't believe I've ever seen this particular pathology in any other game. Maybe the budget was as large as however large it was because of payoffs to George Lucas to not insist that they add midichlorian count as a stat, does it matter?

I think the point is that this is the epitome of a AAA MMO title. It had a huge budget, a huge staff, and a long dev cycle. There is no excuse, given all 3 of those advantages, for it to have released with a UI like this. Customizable UIs are standard on every AAA MMO I have ever played.

I play at 1950 x 1080 on a 27" monitor and have all of the same overlapping effects. I don't understand why we can't at least globally scale the UI down. My bar buttons are about a one inch square on my screen.

Also ditto the WZ interface overlapping the top slots of the right quickbar.

That's really interesting. I have the same screen resolution and monitor size and nothing overlaps on my screen.

Don't get me wrong - I am not saying "it's your problem not the game's". I've seen some of my freinds' screens who have the same issues you speak of, I just haven't experienced it myself.

I actually notice that sometimes when I zone the size of some things on my screen (e.g., chatbar) will increase/decrease. However, it never changes so drastically as to cause overlap.

If my tip didn't work, I do wish that you find a solution. I am sure it is frustrating.

I started testing from December 2010 to early access. My hands are tired from all of the bugs I submitted (hundreds!). The most repeated feedback I gave was:

1. Character Creations needs many more options - stayed almost the same

2. UI is not customizable - Changed some layout areas but pretty much the same

3. Companions and characters fell through the ground all the time - fixed

4. Conversations took 5 - 7 minutes to load - fixed

5. Getting stuck everywhere (boxes, clicky items etc) - somewhat fixed

Point is, they know and I am sure they are prioritizing what needs to be fixed first. There are only X number of people, time and other resources that any company has.

to paraphrase: 'Modifying millions of lines of code ain't like dusting crops, boy!'

There will be improvements when they are ready, relax. :)

I understand what you are trying to say here, but. . .

They have a UI team.

It's not DE taking time off from writing scripts for the next FP to work on the UI. It's a team of people who work on the UI. Yes, team might be 2, but it's still their specific duty.

Of the things you listed, only #1 and #2 involve the UI team. And #1 is only after the art is made and put it that the UI team might get involved.

The "millions of lines of code" excuse is just that, an excuse. Don't forget, they were, at one time, proud enough of this UI to make a Friday update video about how great it is.

I understand what you are trying to say here, but. . .

They have a UI team.

Did this entire UI team go on a 'team bonding' boat trip into the bermuda triangle and vanish then?

To even SUGGEST there has been any time allocated to the UI in the past 3 months is crazy. ONE person could significantly improve the UI in a single afternoon...

So am I the only one wondering how this stuff got through BETA testing?

I'm in PvP on Voidstar, and the map overlaps the right hotbar. And on the left the OPS groups overlap the left one... I have absolutely no idea how this stuff made it to live...

The Voidstar map can sadly not be fixed (and that's why I "quit warzone" immediately when I get into that one), but you OPS groups can be MOVED! Yes, you've read it right, there is one UI element you can move around.

That's really interesting. I have the same screen resolution and monitor size and nothing overlaps on my screen.
Not even the Voidstar map and the right quickslot bar? You, sir, are not telling the truth. Edited by Korrigan

I think the point is that this is the epitome of a AAA MMO title. It had a huge budget, a huge staff, and a long dev cycle. There is no excuse, given all 3 of those advantages, for it to have released with a UI like this. Customizable UIs are standard on every AAA MMO I have ever played.

So? Would the bugs, or UI issues be any more or less annoying if there was some excuse? The game costs us the same to play as any other subscription MMO, who cares what it cost EA to make?

So? Would the bugs, or UI issues be any more or less annoying if there was some excuse? The game costs us the same to play as any other subscription MMO, who cares what it cost EA to make?

Yes. They would be less annoying because then it would be understandable. If this were some upstart polish developer cranking out it's first game with a skeleton team and bare-bones financing, I would be much more forgiving.

And you make another excellent point: We pay the same amount to subscribe to this game as we do to subscribe to every other AAA MMO title.....the difference is that every other AAA MMO title has customizable UI.

Yes. They would be less annoying because then it would be understandable. If this were some upstart polish developer cranking out it's first game with a skeleton team and bare-bones financing, I would be much more forgiving.

And you make another excellent point: We pay the same amount to subscribe to this game as we do to subscribe to every other AAA MMO title.....the difference is that every other AAA MMO title has customizable UI.

You are more forgiving than I then, if I thought a game had too many problems too be worth the money I was paying for it I would stop paying, no matter who had made it.

The only explanation for the sorry excuse of an UI we currently have is that this is just a placeholder until their team puts out a fully modifiable UI, complete with an addon API and macro language. If this is indeed what they intend the UI to be long term, then they have no idea what they are doing.

You are more forgiving than I then, if I thought a game had too many problems too be worth the money I was paying for it I would stop paying, no matter who had made it.

I never said I thought the game had too many problems too be worth the money I am paying for it. This is legitimate, measured criticism given by a customer who, on the whole, is relatively happy with the product.

If they fix the UI, the ability lag (don't even get me started on the lag in WZs), and find a way to balance the server populations, this will easily be one of the best MMO's I have ever played.