"New MMO" isn't an excuse, especially with todays' consumers

Maasterrcsaw

Rich leveling content? It's the same fedex quests we've seen in every MMO. Except this time, the environs ( arguably what should be one of the big selling points of an MMO) are tiny, truncated tunnels, not a single " Whoa......" moment to be had. Voiced over? I tried listening to every line of dialogue until I reached about 35. After a while, aside from the class quests, it's all the same: "Kill 15 of X, then 20 of Y, then the elite, collect Z and then run halfway across the area and meet Random NPC #1234" The conversation choices you have are almost always the same for every encounter.

As far as companions go, generally speaking, you get 6 total by the time you hit 50, but chances are you can only feasibly use one, depending on your character build. They can be buggy, the AI poor, and having to repeatedly shut off abilities every time they zone in, or come back for a mission, or just for whatever reason, is getting old.

End game operations are at lackluster at best, BW didn't really break the mold there. Actually getting groups for them when you're Republic means spamming general chat for eternity, which is not how I want to spend my time in game. I've actually done FPs 3 times while leveling, and skipped almost all the heroic missions. Getting groups was way too time consuming.

As far as PVP goes, it's really the only thing you can reliably do at 50, on your time, at your pace, according to your schedule. Saying that " it isn't a PVP game" isn't an excuse. If you put an aspect of the game in, you should darned well give it it's due diligence. It's a disservice to the players, and very discrediting to a company, to tack it on the way it has been. At it's current state, they should have left PVP out entirely. Instead of bragging that it was this fantastic thing, with a whole team dedicated to it, when it clearly is not, and they clearly did not. The gearing system is a joke, and probably one of the most painful, tedious and masochistic design systems I've ever seen.

Why the hell are you playing then? Just to ***** and whine and say how you hate it? I can't believe you're an adult or even a male for that matter. You have zero clue what you're talking about. Seriously bro grow a pair of ********s and quit if you hate it so much quit whining like a ***** on a forum of a game that hasn't even been out a month and they're patching CONSTANTLY. PvP will NEVER be a major part of a game like this, you want PvP go play guildwars 2 when it comes out.

I swear pvp sections of forum are filled with the most whiny, pissy peoiple I've ever encountered..what's even worse is it's mostly men in their 20s that think they know better than the game designers who actually went to school for this kind of stuff.. Just pathetic

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

"Give it a chance, it's just been released PvP will EVENTUALLY be fixed"

Sorry, but no. Releasing a current gen mmo with broken PvP is absurd in a game with a subscription fee.

The consumers of today, regardless of their financial status, expect bang for their buck, it goes without saying. I am not being ignorant here. I have a limited understanding of the immense difficulty in producing these kinds of games, but patches are becoming far too convenient for developers. Ofcourse, it's all about money (see the EA icon on the front of the box?), and asking for £8.99 a month while the developers work on the other half of the game is robbery.

I want to make it clear here that I am not saying this game should have been released in a perfect state, and it is undeniable that the PvE side is brilliant in terms of leveling content. I am, however, stating PvP should be at a functional level when I enter the multitude of Warzones on offer (3, well, actually just 1 really).

For those of you who may reply "uninstall game please" or "if you don't like it go play something else", you have missed the point completely.

It is us, the gamers, in this respect; that are being played.

You should be thankfull we have this mmo. Thats all.

People are so impatient nowadays. That's all it really is. Also, I find that BW did a fantastic job launching SWTOR, I don't even dare compare it to Vanilla WoW as that was a TRUE disaster.

Also, if you have issues with bugs/exploits at the launch of a game, wait for a couple weeks/months? It's not like making a game like this is piss easy

There is nothing impatient about wanting a game with good PVP at launch.

Unless you're one of those types who enables this type of ill-designed launch.

I need to start making games and just get people like you to post in my forums. Making excuses for anything.

Its pretty obvious the game is a letdown in every area except for single player.

BW picked a good time to release since there are no other major games coming for a while.

If GW2 launched tomorrow I am sure a huge chunk of the lvl 50 population would quit.

what is obvious is that ppl like you shouldn't speak for others.

some like it some hate it..... that's kind of how life is

the ones that like it well stay and wait for the fixes to roll in

the ones that don't move on to the next one and do the same **** tell they find the one they like

Actually, the game being new is a fine excuse... the real problem, which goes far beyond this game, is the current consumer base and their very poor attitudes.

Be thankful you do not work with the public. Their selfishness and stupidity are awful and it does nothing but wear on you to the point where you just dont care.

They should take warning stickers off everything to thin out the stupid. We are being overrun like a bad zombie movie.

The thing that is over looked is so far we have payed only 60-150 bucks (if you got CE) for ths game which has 8 seperate story lines each 3 times as long as KotoR, which was $60 when i bought it. in my mind that is almost like buying 8, fairly long, games for $60, and thats just pve solo leveling to 50. Now i am paying $15 a month in order to have the MMO aspect, which includes PvP, and PVE endgame content, Flashpoints with other players, and weekly (or bi-monthly) patches that add new content to the game, i will say i have put a lot of play time into this game in a short amount of time, im not proud of it but i have like 9 days of play time already (i know i need to go see the sun or something) which equates to 216+ hours of play time, now i divide 60 by 216, that meens so far i have payed $0.27 per hour to play this game which has entertained me, thats fairly cheap entertainment i would say, and it will continue to lower the amount i pay per hour as time goes on to a point were it will be probably around $0.15 an hour to play a moderate amount of time. that is pretty cheap entertainment i think

I have a hard time understanding why people are all OMGAH ITS 15$ A MONTH NOOOOOO.

Pretty much we are paying their team to continue to develope. WoW does the same thing, except they have been paid for 7+ years.

For my PVP fix i play pvp based games, FPS, Leauge of Legends, HoN.

You know games that are strictly PVP not half and half (Which is where all the issues start)

Actually, the game being new is a fine excuse... the real problem, which goes far beyond this game, is the current consumer base and their very poor attitudes.

Be thankful you do not work with the public. Their selfishness and stupidity are awful and it does nothing but wear on you to the point where you just dont care.

They should take warning stickers off everything to thin out the stupid. We are being overrun like a bad zombie movie.

The consumer base expecting a working PvP aspect is not a display of "poor attitude". The makers of this game came from the general public somewhere down the line, so your argument regarding "selfishness and stupidity" is absolutely correct. In terms of developers, and money.

Name one that had this at launch.

Let me clarify because people aren't understanding what I mean. There is a difference between unintended bugs that show up, and repercussions of intended system-design. I am talking about the latter.

For example, lets look at SWTOR's combat system. All other MMO's have launched with a combat system where abilitiest fire off when you press the button, i.e. responsiveness. Lag from faulty servers is NOT a system-design issue. SWTOR has a combat system that is designed to be unresponsive due to the "heroic animation" bull. This combat system requires your animation to fully finish before your next ability can be used. This is an example of a system-design failure. Whether intentional or not, they have created a system that behaves poorly, and that was by design. They wanted combat to look cool, but that was at the expense of fun gameplay.

That's what I mean. MMO's do not change these things as they mature -- they build off them. Unless BioWare changes the combat system, the entire gameplay will remain to be unresponsive.

I hope that illustrates what I was trying to get across.

P.S. The only MMO I can think of that had a drastic system overhaul is SWG. That didn't end so well....

Bioware's done an incredible job with this game so far. I laugh at people like the OP who grind their a55es off because they have no life, spending close to 8 hours a day pvping, for a month or more, then reach the pinnacle for the current launch state in gear, and cry "it's broken! it's no good for me!"

How friggin' arrogant can you be? Were the devs supposed to magically look to the future and understand every adjustment so that your gameplay is perfect, but without infringing on the experiences of millions of others?

OP, I am sure you are frustrated because you spent so much time grind-grind-grinding. Who's fault is that? Bioware's because their game wasn't ready for you when you plateau so early on?

Get over yourself. You don't like the sub fee, leave. Tired of you whine-blt<hes. Its one thing to suggest corrections, wish for balance, and stress your own frustration, but to blame it on the people who did such a magnificent job with the launch is really the height of QQ.

Makes me want to QQ more about you!

Edited by Poe_

The consumer base expecting a working PvP aspect is not a display of "poor attitude". The makers of this game came from the general public somewhere down the line, so your argument regarding "selfishness and stupidity" is absolutely correct. In terms of developers, and money.

Flip it however you like. :)

Bioware's done an incredible job with this game so far. I laugh at people like the OP who grind their a55es off because they have no life, spending close to 8 hours a day pvping, for a month or more, then reach the pinnacle for the current launch state in gear, and cry "it's broken! it's no good for me!"

How friggin' arrogant can you be? Were the devs supposed to magically look to the future and understand every adjustment so that your gameplay is perfect, but without infringing on the experiences of millions of others?

OP, I am sure you are frustrated because you spent so much time grind-grind-grinding. Who's fault is that? Bioware's because their game wasn't ready for you when you plateau so early on?

Get over yourself. You don't like the sub fee, leave. Tired of you whine-blt<hes. Its one thing to suggest corrections, wish for balance, and stress your own frustration, but to blame it on the people who did such a magnificent job with the launch is really the height of QQ.

Makes me want to QQ more about you!

This, with it's generalisations, stereotypes and ignorance; is not worth a proper response.

For example, lets look at SWTOR's combat system. All other MMO's have launched with a combat system where abilitiest fire off when you press the button, i.e. responsiveness. Lag from faulty servers is NOT a system-design issue. SWTOR has a combat system that is designed to be unresponsive due to the "heroic animation" bull. This combat system requires your animation to fully finish before your next ability can be used. This is an example of a system-design failure. Whether intentional or not, they have created a system that behaves poorly, and that was by design. They wanted combat to look cool, but that was at the expense of fun gameplay.

BS ... I am tired of games where avatars may as well be cubes because all that matters is your UI and how fast your can smash your head into keyboard. It would be nice if this 20 year old style died already.

Edited by Repefe

Totally and utterly irrelevant.

Just because OTHER MMOs haven't doesn't mean that ALL MMOs won't. They try to. The fact that they don't is their failure, not ours.

Well ... maybe 2050 they will finally do MMO that is not a failure ... you just wait.

The consumers of today, regardless of their financial status, expect bang for their buck, it goes without saying. I am not being ignorant here. I have a limited understanding of the immense difficulty in producing these kinds of games, but patches are becoming far too convenient for developers. Ofcourse, it's all about money (see the EA icon on the front of the box?), and asking for £8.99 a month while the developers work on the other half of the game is robbery.

^This!

BS ... I am tired of games where avatars may as well be cubes because all that matters is your UI and how fast your can smash your head into keyboard. It would be nice if this 20 year old style died already.

How is that BS? That is exactly what BioWare's desire to provide "heroic combat" has done -- created an utterly unresponsive, unintuitive combat system. Considering the only thing to do in this game is fight in PvE or PvP (since crafting is completely subverted by commendations, save for Biochem), you think it would be pretty important to get that system functioning well.

How is that BS? That is exactly what BioWare's desire to provide "heroic combat" has done -- created an utterly unresponsive, unintuitive combat system. Considering the only thing to do in this game is fight in PvE or PvP (since crafting is completely subverted by commendations, save for Biochem), you think it would be pretty important to get that system functioning well.

Watch what your avatar does ... there problem fixed.

Well ... maybe 2050 they will finally do MMO that is not a failure ... you just wait.

The issue is, you (or whoever's defending SWtOR), aren't simply disagreeing with the timing. The disagreement is the issues presented. If an issue is highlighted, then the issue should be dealt with. Not mislabeled as a non-issue because other games have that issue.