The Republic Space Station is...

Zante

I haven't tried playing as an imperial yet so I'm not able to comment on the state of that particular environment, but the republic hub is somewhat lacking, I find.

The central area, where the cantina resides, is reminiscent of a giant night club. I don't understand what sort of message this is supposed to be conveying but it reminds of that scene in teenage mutant ninja turtles, the movie, where the newly recruited foot soliders are attempting to pacify themselves with distractions by way of games and music. It is not the sort of environment you'd expect to find within the bastion of hope that is the republic fleet.

The typical Star Wars space-based locale was made evident in the original trilogy, just look at the internal areas of Star Destroyers and any other large vessel on-screen. They are sterile, compact environments, devoid of clutter save for a few exceptions. The space we have is too large, it should be smaller - and you should have seen this.

Look at Coruscant spaceport, although it's based on the planet, that would be a preferable visual style to what the current Carrick station looks like.

---

We have to cope with this for hundreds of hours, it's too much on the eyes and the cantina music just grates on one's nerves at times. Slowly eating away at patience, that's all. ;]

Toroidal space stations are pretty standard in sci-fi settings. Star Wars has the advantage of ridiculous artificial gravity technology that makes spinning for centrifugal force useless, but the sphere/circle still remains the most efficient shape to maximize space with a minimum of material used.

Actually the Fleet on both sides is exactly the same, with mirroring I guess... I'm surprised no one has mentioned it ruining "immersion" given that both sides are using the exact same central Fleet.
I believe the lighting schemes and banners are different, and the Republic fleet has a fountain with lily pads in place of the Empire's skulls that shoot blood out of their eyes which is crystallized into spikes by some undead-looking Sith Lord in red-and-black using his purple lightning powers. Edited by Gorgewall

I believe the lighting schemes and banners are different, and the Republic fleet has a fountain in place of the Empire's skulls that shoot blood out of their eyes and are then crystalized into spikes by some undead-looking Sith Lord in red-and-black using his purple lightning powers.

It's still the same Fleet, same make and same model :rolleyes:

Yeah. I was floored when I loaded into the fleet to find... it was the EXACT same thing as the Imperial Fleet, just painted yellow/orange in various places with decoration variations. It's the laziest thing I've seen in the game.

Yeah, a homogeneous space station design shared by two human factions who are very much alike but at war is the laziest thing you've seen.. I take it that was hyperbole or you just don't play many games.

If they were radically different we'd have cries of "OH MY GOD THE DEVS FAVOR BLANK OVER OTHERBLANK! Their fleet is so much better-organized and easy to traverse than ours!!!!!!!"

Edited by Gorgewall

Probably because they have the same make and the same model.

In the Star Wars universe many shipyards stay unaffiliated and sell to the highest bidder, or both sides, in a conflict.

Granted, on a conflict of such galactic scale as the current war, that would be unlikely as both sides would seize control of any shipyards capable of producing a station of that size.

But in the end it boils down to BW economy. They couldn't afford to create more than one type each of stations, spacedocks and spaceports so they all look the same.

//Champion Qui-Thala Haera | Lvl 50 Tankassin | Grand Theft Stardestroyers | EU Frostclaw

Yeah, a homogeneous space station design shared by two human factions who are very much alike but at war is the laziest thing you've seen.. I take it that was hyperbole or you just don't play many games.

If they were radically different we'd have cries of "OH MY GOD THE DEVS FAVOR BLANK OVER OTHERBLANK! Their fleet is so much better-organized and easy to traverse than ours!!!!!!!"

I like the mental gymnastics some people do to justify any flaw there is with the game.

And, um. No. I don't think anyone would be complaining if there was some kind of difference with the factions. Nobody complains about Stormwind looking nicer than the Undercity, players appreciate that the developers put forth time, resources and creativity towards giving the different races/faction their own aesthetic instead of lazily copypasting the entire layout of one over to the other.

I mean, seriously, how much would it suck if the Undercity was just Marilyn Manson's version of Stormwind? How much would it suck if Silvermoon City was just Stormwind City with gold roofing and a few creepy green orbs? People* would say, "Wow, that's actually really lazy. Do the developers even care?"

*not blind fanboys

Edited by LopretniMM

And, um. No. I don't think anyone would be complaining if there was some kind of difference with the factions. Nobody complains about Stormwind looking nicer than the Undercity,

Yeah, I'm guessing you didn't play WoW until relatively recently. WoW players showed clear favoritism towards Stormwind and Ironforge, both for aesthetics and functionality. Undercity was the best city the Horde got, but its location was pretty terrible in comparison to Ironforge and so always took flak for that.