Xalek can't tank.

Blackout

Xalek really isnt a very viable tank compared to Khem, or Lt. Iresso (or Qyzen, but hes khem's mirror) , the mirrored counterpart on the Jedi Consular. The fact that his tank stance gives him 42% increased armor when the assassins tank stance gives 150% armor probably says it all, his armor is sub par, and he takes too much damage for a tank, and doesnt deal enough damage to be dps.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love his unique mechanics, but ive invested a lot into fully gearing him out and my khem val (in level 30's) has roughly the same damage mitigation.

Edited by Blackout

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also positively despise the fact that Xalek seems insistent on standing right next to you at all times. I waste more time in fights repositioning to keep the mob between him and I with its back facing me, and every 5 seconds or so he has to walk around to stand next to me. Pain in the ***.

Xalek really isnt a very viable tank compared to Khem, or Lt. Iresso (or Qyzen, but hes khem's mirror) , the mirrored counterpart on the Jedi Consular. The fact that his tank stance gives him 42% increased armor when the assassins tank stance gives 150% armor probably says it all, his armor is sub par, and he takes too much damage for a tank, and doesnt deal enough damage to be dps.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love his unique mechanics, but ive invested a lot into fully gearing him out and my khem val (in level 30's) has roughly the same damage mitigation.

Quite honestly that will change. Even if you buy khem all 50 purples ... xalek is a WP pet, and can use gear that you win from raids. Got extra rakata or columni tokens? you can deck him out and get ~18k hp+ easily - spending them on assassin tank gear.

At the end of the day, with the kind of eventually loot scooping that will take place after a few weeks or months of raid, your Xalek is gonna be a monsterous tank, while khem is still hopelessly stuck with his ~50 purple modded gear.

At the end of the day, once you start getting extra tokens, your Xalek is gonna get geared to hell.

In fact, saw him tank HM BP with the exception of the last boss the other day - and like easily.

Edited by idipper

He can tank fairly well not as good as khem but not bad by any means.

He trades some tank power for more dps and over all it works well as long as not fighting tons of elites.

The best thing is your old gear to him so if you have high crit/surge as well as good will/end you end up with a fairly high dps tank even if he still tanks abit less than khem.

Been using Xalek for a while now, in Hoth (bonus series), Belsavis (bonus series) and Corelia, and he tanks just fine, i have absolutely no problem with him.

I think (and don't get me wrong, it sounds like im QQing) but Sorcerers are too squishy. And we HAVE to rely on either Khem or Xalek....well at least I prefer a tank over a healing or dps companion.

The irritating thing is this.

Khem is like a melon. He has no rough edges and explodes in a hail of normal - to strong mob gunfire.

Xalek wears bandages as a form of protection and his threat generation is crapper than Melon'Val's.

They both die obscenely fast; the only difference with them being that Khem' takes all aggro for a few seconds off you, enough time to dps a bit. Whereas a Xalek does a bit of dps in about 3 seconds before being burned alive.

Im on first name terms with the Imperial Medical Service these days >_>

I think (and don't get me wrong, it sounds like im QQing) but Sorcerers are too squishy. And we HAVE to rely on either Khem or Xalek....well at least I prefer a tank over a healing or dps companion.

The irritating thing is this.

Khem is like a melon. He has no rough edges and explodes in a hail of normal - to strong mob gunfire.

Xalek wears bandages as a form of protection and his threat generation is crapper than Melon'Val's.

They both die obscenely fast; the only difference with them being that Khem' takes all aggro for a few seconds off you, enough time to dps a bit. Whereas a Xalek does a bit of dps in about 3 seconds before being burned alive.

Im on first name terms with the Imperial Medical Service these days >_>

I hate to say this, but either you dont have them properly geared or are doing something wrong. Just last night i was finishing my class quest chain...

And Xalek tanked Thanaton like a pro, i just kept hot and shield and he never got anywhere near dying.

On normal questing in corelia, i haven´t had a single instance of him dying, dunno how it is in illum, havent been there yet.

One thing i find with Xalek is if i switch companions for some reason then go back to him i have to switch on his tank stance again. Increases threat and armour by a bucket load.

Same when i switch to a dps companion, I have to switch on which dps stance to use.

My Xalek tanks perfectly fine. I'm a healer sorc so damage isnt all that but my Xalek has around 15k health.

I hate to say this, but either you dont have them properly geared or are doing something wrong. Just last night i was finishing my class quest chain...

And Xalek tanked Thanaton like a pro, i just kept hot and shield and he never got anywhere near dying.

Yeah, this is very true if you're a Sorc, and can actually heal/shield your companion from time to time.

Not so true for assassins. Channel the Force only goes so far :p

Yeah, this is very true if you're a Sorc, and can actually heal/shield your companion from time to time.

Not so true for assassins. Channel the Force only goes so far :p

True. I would think a healing or dps companion would complement a tank assassin better than xalek tho... as for dps assassins... do they exist at all? ;)

Hah!

I'm deception specced, and do anything Elite with Khem. Most of the time he comes close to dying (5-10%) or actually dies, but that will have bought me more than enough time to burn down the elite. Yet to try Xalek if i'm honest, purely because my Khem is currently significantly better geared.

Ok so a little backround. I have Xalek in full pvp champion assassin tank gear. Perhaps you guys only view him as viable at early levels when you get him and his appeal is fresh, im using him to tank dungeons, khem can do it, xalek cannot.

I benchmark my companions based on how quickly I can solo the Ilum daily heroic with them.

I am a dps sorc.

I find Xalek to be mostly useless to my purposes. He kills stuff too slow, requires healing to stay alive, is a mana drain.

Adronikus (less gear than Xalek) can solo one of the 3 strongs in that quest by himself, leaving the other two strongs to me. He requires no healing at all to do it and he finishes quickly enough to help me with the last strong even.

Basically I prefer the pirate because he can "tank" better than Xalek through killing stuff faster and thus requiring less heals. He, of course, has no taunt of any sort.

Im Level 47, 21/2/15 and use Ashara, shes in all orange and I keep her gear and mods updated, and I burn through everything with her, and can use her as a tank to solo +2 Heroics easily, with average healing. Same with Champions. I find she's better then Khem.

I was looking forward to gearing out Xalek once I get him, but is he really that bad of a tank?

I had my Xalek in almost full Columi (19 k hp unbuffed) duel the Jawa companion of a BH guildie.. Xalek barely win the fight like <500 hp remaining.. That Jawa has like only 14 k hp and is not where geared (also a tank companion).

Something seems wrong.

My Xalek is in orange lvl 50 modded gear, and in his tank stance, he has 18k hp. I am a dps spec sorc, and can solo very easily the heroic 2+ in Ilum, we just burn down everything and i bubble him as needed. seethe after the fight.

Please bioware, allow his tank stance to bring him up to the level of -every- other tank companion in the game. I invested a lot of time into gearing him up well, and hes so cool, but his performance is so sub par. Dude i can solo the heroic on illum without a pet, this is about having him be the same caliber as all the other companions... Edited by Blackout

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.