Colicoid Wargames: antithesis of what a flashpoint should be

Some guildies and I, all level 40, played through this for the first time last night. It was the first time for all of us. We struggled a little with the cannons, first learning how to operate them and then actually winning the round. It was so much easier when one of the guys came up with the idea of shooting the opposite way. It would have been nice if the turrets worked the same way the ship combat does and saved us some heartache.

Other then getting knocked over the railings, the rest of the run went pretty well. We all really enjoyed it and thought it was a nice change of pace. We've done all the instances as a group at appropriate levels so far and this is the only flash point we've really wanted to go out of our way to do again.

As a side note, I wouldn't want to PuG this instance, but then again I hate PuGs anyway. Now that I know the trick on the cannons, PuGing might not be so bad.

Edited by Bugbear

I have done this Flashpoint only once (completed it) and I can say that I will NEVER step foot in Colicoid War Games again. In addition to what many have said, this FP is particularly bad because of 2 things: poor level design & puzzle solving.

I took the liberty of looking at some video walkthroughs of the FP before I entered, which I normally don't do. I am the kind of person that likes to experience the game firsthand. But man am I glad I did. Yes, the turrets are very buggy and unresponsive, but I think any group can get through it if they simply turn around 180 degrees and fire through the center, behind their team member. This allows you see the bugs coming from far off and gives you a better chance of surviving.

The worst problem is the puzzle area. The puzzle isn't the issue, as it is fun and a nice change of pace. The real problem is Bioware utilizing puzzle mechanics in a combat environment that is poorly designed.

First you have narrow walkways that have an dropoff combined with mobs that can knockback. This in itself can be challenging (and again fun), but when the knockback causes bugs and geometry errors, it is a nightmare of frustration. My group encountered so many bugs it wasn't even funny. If not for the patience of the whole group and the "good laugh" we had of it all, we would have quit trying. Here's some of the problems we encountered:

• Players getting knocked off the walkway onto the outside of the walkway, but not fall to their death. Many times I was knocked over the side but managed to get stuck on the side of the walkway near some pipes. Yes, I was alive, but was forced to die and RUN BACK just to have it happen again.
  • It is possible to get knocked down to the rocky area just below the first dropoff and not die. Since there is no way to climb back up, you are again forced to die to try again.
  • The flipside to the previous problem, is if the enemy is knocked down to this ledge or the ground below and doesn't die, they are forever trying to attack you, keeping you in combat. The only way we fixed this was to try and move around the area and hope he popped back up on the ledge to "chase" us.
  • Various aggro issues with the earlier problems of mobs falling down to the ground below but not dying. Even after dying and coming back, some players retained aggro and were killed quickly once they returned within combat range.

Overall this FP was just a waste of our time, but we made the best of a bad situation and made it through to the end. The easiest way to fix the flashpoint with minimal changes would be to remove the knockback ability of the mobs and make them immune to knockback. This would prevent the aforementioned problems, but also remove part of the challenge that we liked. The alternative is to redesign this section of the FP completely, such as making the area below a kill zone. So if you fall, it is considered an automatic death. In the end, I won't be touching this FP with a 10-foot pole until some changes are made.

Edited by Geekcheck

Just make the turrets continuous fire as long as the button is held down so that the targeting/firing lag problems don't make the turret bit as tedious.

Dude they do. If you're doing more than turning/pointing the turret you're doing it wrong. It fires when it's pointed at enemies.

"dungeon that doesn't let me use my character's gear and is a massive change of playstyle/pace from other dungeons! /wrists!" I think I've heard this before...

inb4 Bioware gives us a loot bag with extra commendations and a blue dragon mount as a 'reward' for finishing this instance.

Couldn't get past this flashpoint because at the first turret area one of my members couldn't get the hang of the turrets so we kept getting overrun. After an hour of trying we just moved onto the red reaper. Not to mention how RIDICULOUSLY hard it was to find members for it. Edited by TORPlayer