SWTOR - The Pinnacle of Character Customization

Gamex

If they did this you would be raging about how Wookies arent supposed to speak english.

No pleasing some people.

They can understand it, but not speak it right? Well we have discovered some cybernetic device, made from nanotechnology that allows any species in the galaxy to speak basic as well as they understand the language spoken.

Get some voice actors on the job, and give us some entertainment. Idle hands man.... it's best for society if I keep playing.

Then all Twi Leks would be wearing the same armor, and people would moan about that.

Less time making "cool gear" and more time making engaging storylines.

Not exactly... Atleast in swg, there were so many combinations when u crafted armor that few had the same exact armor. And also the stats on crafted armor were allmost allways unice unless u used the exact same components.

But in any mmo where u can craft armor u will allways find those that want to spend time crafting alot, and those that dont really care about crafting at all. Most games let u choose this.

You can't play races that can't speak English.

And I would (and have) gladly traded the varying character models of WoW for the characterization SWTOR allows through dialog choices. So what if everyone has the same body types, at least SWTOR characters actually have, well, character.

Not really, actually. I level a trooper with my friend - she levels a Smuggler. We chat on Mumble while we play and very frequently talk about how we have the exact same dialogue options. Once you play through the game as a different class you actually start noticing how they're all the same three choices, basically.

We also have "stock phrases" that our characters have said about 50 times now.

I would rather be able to play an Ithorian jedi or a Rodian bounty hunter or a Wookie or an Ortolan or a Jawa than hear my character say "For the republic!" or "It's the Jedi way to serve." over and over.

Mon Cals speak common/english/whatever. Why aren't they playable?

Lazy. Lazy. Lazy.

I noticed immediately that every humanoid species has the exact same body and proportions. Same chest, arms, legs. Only the head and sometimes hands and feet look species specific.

For example Qyzen Fess has a totally reptilian head, hands and feet, yet his body is completely and perfectly human. it would look so much better and help with immersion if his body was slouched and reptilian, and he had a tail.

The reason they all have the same sizes is for animation mainly. It is so that they can interact between NPC's better. If there were huge variations in size then some NPC's would not be looking at your face, it just causes a hole load of complications for animation, but it does annoy me :/

Originally Posted by MargulisAZ

The cop out will be voice acting or storyline issues - which of course is what I just called it - a cop out. But don't worry, someone will respond with how those are definitely legitimate reasons

Of course they are legitimate reasons. Can you imagine how big this game would get if you had to multiply the voice files out multiple times?

You may not care if this game turns into the biggest download ever, but it's a real concern, especially for people with things like capped internet connections.

It may not be a real issue to you, but it is to some folks. There's also an obvious cost concern.

Not that it couldn't be done, but I certainly wouldn't call it a cop-out. There are definitely legitimate reasons for it.

:D

Did the OP just say Guild Wars 2, a game not released yet, doesn't have end game?

I was going to let you slide when you said Warhammer and AoC...but now I know most of you just use the term "end-game" as a way of saying, "I'll never be happy no matter how much content you add!".

That's ok though. Gamers now in days don't know how to make their own fun. This is why we get linear themepark games and DLC scammed.

No, those asren't legitimate reasons.

What is a legitimate reason is how different character models could clip through armor and how much of a pain it apparently was to work with Twi'lek Lekku. Twi'leks stil can't wear hoods for instance. So imagine those issues and add about 10 more tentacles on a nautolan, or add the cone spires on top of a togrutas' head.

Having said that, it's still just down right lazy. I don't defend bioware on this front, character race is every bit as important to some people as gear is or even what class they are playing. Twi'leks for instance wore hoods in beta, there just appeared to be holes cut in the hood so the lekku would pop through, and it looked absolutely fine.

The one place Bioware seems to severely fail in this game is that they don't seem to have the capacity to understand players having an attachment to their characters. This is apparent when they said that they didn't want the choice to be about race but rather class. This is also apparent in all parts of the game, characters have ZERO attitude to them, there is no flair or extra function to them, they stand like robots most of the time and none of the races have their own personality.

Hopefully as time wears on Bioware will realize these things are just like small bits of the MMO experience, but also that it's those small bits that make the MMO experience worth it.

I agree with you 100%. I want to play a togruta so bad!!!!!! Hell even a selkath. Who cares that you can't wear a hood. As long as I can play the species that I want. Afterall I'm the one paying you bioware. I'm not expecting any miracles soon but within a year would be nice.

aparently they couldn't just force your race to speak English and cover it under some story about how your specific clan learned to speak common.

nope thats too hard

instead we get red, blue green humans.

Okay, so I understand no Wookies. I understand no Jawa's.

But, there are tons... tons of other humanoid-ish races that could have been allowed.

I understand that full-blooded Sith aren't really a good choice to be a Jedi. But why couldn't I be a Chiss Jedi? Why couldn't I be a Twilek trooper? Armor clipping issues? Really?